Location: 191 New Toronto Street, ON, M8V 2E7
Terms: Full-time with benefits, 35 hours per week
The Manager, Major Gifts will lead and oversee the development and execution of major gift (individuals and foundations) plans in support of the organization’s mission. As part of the Development team, the Manager, Major Gifts will report to the Vice President, Philanthropy and work closely with the Senior Manager, Corporate Giving on pipeline development and donor strategy.
They will be accountable for achieving ambitious revenue and portfolio growth targets in the program, developing compelling cases for support, writing inspiring proposals, providing effective stewardship, and leading team review of donor strategies and actions. The Manager, Major Gifts is able to inspire and influence others through their passion for our mission and to instill confidence through superb communications and relationship management.
Key Performance Measures
- Revenue growth: Setting and achieving targets for a program that is currently at $1 million.
- Portfolio growth: Setting and achieving targets for a program that currently includes approximately 40 gifts per year.
- Major gift plan development with key metrics for calls, visits (including metrics for engaging senior leadership and senior volunteers on calls and visits) funding requests made and funding success.
- Major gift plan implementation.
- Donor movement through stages of research, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewarding.
- Funding opportunities created.
- Update, test and refine a compelling case for support for Daily Bread’s annual operational imperatives that engages and inspires donors and senior volunteers.
- Develop approved and proposed activities into proposals that align with interests of new and existing donors.
- Working with the Marketing and Communications team and/or external vendors in order to create supporting documents.
- Develop and meet approved targets (>100) for personally managing a portfolio of new and existing prospects, including targets for donor visits, proposals submitted and proposals funded.
- Perform prospect research to identify and qualify sufficient potential major gift (>$25K or more) donors.
- Work closely with colleagues to ensure successful planning and execution of cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Recruits and supports senior management and volunteers to assist with cultivation and solicitation.
- Arrange prospect and donor visits, events and tours.
- Provides support at fundraising events and for fundraising projects.
- Attends functions as appropriate to promote Daily Bread and its programs.
- Working closely with other staff, create informative, engaging donor stewardship materials including newsletters, stewardship reports and presentation materials.
- Collaborate across the organization to identify and leverage planned and proposed activities (e.g. research events, open houses, annual general meeting).
Program Management/Team Leadership
- Support the development and leadership teams with current expertise on major gift strategy and management.
- Work with the donor relations/data team to ensure procedures are in place for accurate, timely and personal invitations, acknowledgement of gifts, and other communications.
- Mentor and develop staff and volunteers cultivating major gifts.
- Lead regular peer review of moves management for all major donor prospects.
- Negotiate and structure complex gift agreements.
- With the Manager, Development Operations, establish systems and reports to monitor staff and volunteer performance and progress related to major gifts.
- Working with the Development team, use database analytics and architecture to enhance cultivation functionality.
- Records all donor contacts in the fundraising database (NXT) and maintains accurate electronic and hard copy files on all major gift donors.
- Works with the Vice President, Philanthropy to research and help plan annual budgets, goals and annual work plans.
Education/Experience (or equivalent)
- Post-secondary degree in fundraising, marketing, communications, or related field. A combination of relevant education and experience, including business development or sales, may be considered.
- CFRE an asset.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in cultivating and securing major gifts from individuals, private foundations and corporations, with demonstrated experience in relationship/moves management leading to top-tier donor retention.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in writing grant proposals, stewardship reports and other donor communications related to major gifts.
- Exceptional oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively work with senior management, Board of Directors and other senior volunteers to make a compelling case for support.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with prospective donors.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Ability to influence and engage volunteers, champions, supporters and prospective donors who have the potential to make connections and build relationships in support of Daily Bread’s major gift program.
- Financial assessment, budgeting and financial monitoring skills.
- Proficient with analytics.
- Passionate about eliminating poverty, and food security issues.
- Can articulate vision and aspirational goals into a clear and compelling case for support.
- Is passionate about the mission of Daily Bread.
- Works well within a team as a cooperator and team contributor.
- An excellent and persuasive communicator with an innate ability to respectfully and thoughtfully gather information from others.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive.
- Exceptional judgment, diplomacy and tact, with the ability to anticipate the opportunities and challenges.
- Driven to meet targets and rises to the challenge of stretch goals.
- Computer literate and the able to work effectively with fundraising software to drive results.
- Ability to work with sensitive information with complete confidentiality.
- Must be able to work occasional evening and weekends.
How to Apply
To be considered, forward a covering letter stating why you are suitable for the role along with your résumé by March 22, 2019 to Human Resources – email@example.com
Daily Bread Food Bank thanks all individuals who apply for this position and will only contact candidates who are selected for an interview. Daily Bread Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of designated groups. Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in another format, please e-mail a request to Human Resources.