Posted On: 2019-02-26
Closing On: 2019-03-15
Employment Type: Full-Time
Development Associate, Major Gifts
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation (The PMCF) is one of the world’s leading cancer charities. Our vision is to Conquer Cancer in our Lifetime.
The PMCF raises funds for Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, one of the top 5 cancer research centres in the world, to deliver future care now. For more than a decade, The PMCF has been on an aggressive growth trajectory. Last year we raised $112 million—our best year ever and we are on track to raise even more this year.
Setting daring and audacious goals is a mindset that is driven by The PMCF’s culture and passion to perform. We have pioneered many successful fundraising programs, including our world-leading Princess Margaret Home Lottery, and some of the world’s largest cancer fundraising events. We have a strong track record of securing and stewarding major and estate gifts. We engage our supporters through annual campaigns, leadership and tribute giving, and more than 100 community events and ethnocultural programs.
Through our diverse and complementary portfolio of fundraising events, we attract over 300,000 gifts, 250,000 unique lottery purchasers and 15,000 event participants and volunteers each year. And we engage with hundreds of corporate partners and their employees.
The PMCF has a distinguished board that engages in fundraising, and provides governance and support through a number of very active committees. Princess Margaret is a proud member of University Health Network, Canada’s largest research hospital network, which also includes Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto Rehab Institute and The Michener Institute for Education.
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation is relentless in its pursuit to fulfill its vision to Conquer Cancer in our Lifetime.
The PMCF is pursuing a bold and ambitious agenda. If you have a passion for our cause, are a team player with a can-do attitude, have the right skills, and you would like to be part of the team that’s making the impossible possible—we would like to hear from you.
The main purpose of this position is to provide high level fundraising support for two Campaign Directors.
The Development Associate, Major Gifts
Our highly skilled Development Associate will report directly to one Campaign Director, with a dotted line to at least one other Campaign Director. As an integral part of the Major and Estate Giving (MEG) team, the Development Associate works closely with all members of the MEG team, and other teams within the foundation.
Assists Campaign Directors in development-related activities as assigned, including:
Donor Strategy and Implementation
- Prepare briefings and/or speaking notes for staff and volunteers for donor and volunteer calls
- Work with the Campaign Directors to create solicitation and stewardship strategies and plans for major gifts prospects
- Participate in the development of campaign plans and proposals to special projects
- Respond to inquiries from donors
- Request research profiles and stewardship reports
- Write donor letters and other correspondence/reports/materials as requested
- Follow up with donors on pledged donations
- Plan and execute donor tours and visits
Cancer Centre Staff Relationships
- Alongside Campaign Directors, build meaningful relationships with selected healthcare partners and Cancer Centre staff, including attending and actively participating in meetings
- Build and maintain a strong knowledge of assigned site groups’ research and priorities through reading stewardship reports, attending rounds, etc.
- Take notes and make recommendations including strategy and next steps from meetings with Cancer Centre staff
- Assist Campaign Directors with follow up with Cancer Centre staff on donor approaches
- Document relationship building with Cancer Centre staff. Document all relationships with prospective donors.
- Assist in developing presentations for donors, Cancer Centre staff, volunteers, etc.
- Participate in giving presentations
Operations and Systems Management
- Navigate Raiser’s Edge donor database and request reports
- Help ensure integrity of database and donor data
- Assist in creating, updating, and completing donor agreements
- Notify fund holders when donations are received and as well as promised deliverables and timelines, etc.
- Prospect pipeline management and monitoring
- Remain current with events and trends in local, national and international business, finance and philanthropy
- Acquire and maintain current knowledge of public activities and internal projects, policies and procedures of the Foundation
Special Projects as assigned
- High level administrative support of Fundraising Advisory Board and Campaigns
- One or two larger written reports each year, such as stewardship reports, as agreed upon with the Campaign Directors
- Opportunity to be assigned to select major gift prospective donors to create and manage the full development cycle
- 1-3 years of experience in fundraising, customer service, or marketing
- University Degree/college diploma preferred
- Demonstrated skills in managing multiple projects
- Proven organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness and desire to learn and grow
- Commitment to excellent donor service
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, to juggle competing priorities, to be part of a team, to be responsive and to meet deadlines
- Advanced MS Office skills
- Experience with databases, particularly Raisers Edge, in an asset
- Passion for our vision: To Conquer Cancer in Our Lifetime
- Demonstrate a high level of ethics in fundraising and help others succeed in this area as well
Deadline for Application is Friday March 15th 2019
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please visit the career section of UHN’s website:
For additional information on our foundation please go to: