Posted On: 2019-02-27
Closing On: 2019-04-01
Effective: May 2019
Employment Type: Full-Time
Organization: WaterAid Canada
Title: Head of Fundraising and Communication
Reports to: CEO
Manages: A team of five
Location: Ottawa (or Toronto)
Is this you?
Have you managed and mentored philanthropy teams across the spectrum of revenue streams including: private donations through major gifts, foundations, corporate partnerships, planned giving, community engagement, direct marketing (DRTV experience preferred) and monthly giving? You have been accountable for managing a high-performance team and the timely implementation of fundraising programs and initiatives and ultimately the numbers. You have a proven track record in your ability to develop meaningful relationships and to successfully integrate donor interests with organizational priorities. You are known as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage complex situations and to motivate and inspire colleagues and volunteers.
A leader, mentor, consensus-builder, strategic thinker, builder with a bias to action and implementation; this would be how peers and colleagues describe you. You have a sense of humour, are happy and upbeat and, most of all, love to be around like-minded, capable individuals. You like to develop stretch goals and achieve them! You don’t mind rolling up your sleeves and are entrepreneurial-minded.
If you have a passion for making water, toilets and hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere, then please read on…
WaterAid is a dynamic, fast-growing and highly respected international NGO operating in 35 countries worldwide. Their mission is to transform lives and unleash potential by improving access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
WaterAid was founded in the UK in 1980. In 1990 HRH Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, becomes WaterAid's first president. By 1999, thanks to amazing people and partners around the world, they'd enabled over six million people to build a better life with clean water. A decade later that number had reached 13.4 million, and by 2016 it had risen to 24.9 million. WaterAid now has teams in 35 countries, changing millions of lives every year with clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene.
Their strategy is clear. Extreme poverty won't end until everyone; everywhere has clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. They're determined to make that happen within a generation – and believe the best way to do it is by working with others. That's why they're part of an active global network. Advisors, debate shapers, policy makers, engineers, campaigners and fundraisers – everyone at WaterAid is working towards a common goal: getting water, toilets and hygiene to the millions of people still living without these basic human rights. By working together, they can enable entire communities to unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good.
WaterAid Canada’s history stretches back to 1987, when it was founded by Michael Lubbock, and established as a registered Canadian charity under the name WaterCan/EauVive. It joined the WaterAid federation in 2013.
Reporting to the CEO, and as a trusted advisor within the the Senior Leadership Team, the Head of Fundraising and Communications will:
- Drive the planning, execution and management of the organizational fund development strategy, including delivering high impact major gifts campaigns, growing individual giving, diversifying foundations and corporate portfolios and leading on high profile events
- Lead WaterAid Canada’s communications portfolio, including oversight of media relations, integrated communication’s initiatives and brand management
- Represent WaterAid Canada across the global federation at the senior level, collaborating effectively with colleagues across the world to leverage national and international fund development opportunities
- Champion WaterAid Canada to a wide range of audiences, including private funders, high net worth individuals, foundations, and others
- Contribute to the development of the strategic directions and goals, will drive towards financial sustainably, and will be essential to the successes of a high performing team
The successful Candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Our successful candidate will ‘walk the point’ as it relates to fundraising. They will open doors to their network and beyond and will introduce WaterAid Canada to new opportunities. They will, where appropriate, create growth opportunities as it relates to corporate, foundation and major donors
- Develop and manage a diverse fundraising program including individual, foundation, corporate and major gifts programs; and solicit matching funds for institutional funds
- Build and oversee solid prospect management, research and donor stewardship programs to support retention, revenue generation and fundraising e.g.: identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Have a deep knowledge of multi-channel fundraising communications and integrated marketing strategies and best practices
- Work collaboratively and effectively with key stakeholders throughout the organization to develop and promote the organization’s key messages with the goal to increase awareness of the WaterAid brand and strengthen the organization’s reputation and credibility with donor, sector, government and public audiences
- Manage fundraising-related revenue and expense budgets; participate in the shaping and management of the organizational budget; and inform financial modeling and decision-making
- Serve as the practice leader in the field of fund development and philanthropy, monitoring trends to ensure WaterAid benefits from current industry knowledge, resources and techniques and delivering innovative and results-oriented approaches to philanthropy
- Make major gift calls independently and with staff, including senior staff and Board members
- Oversee annual and monthly giving programs; direct mail, telemarketing and DRTV programs; planned giving
- Oversee the effective management and use of donor database, i.e. RE so that WAC can fully leverage the potential of its donors.
- Develop and steward exceptional relationships with donors, potential donors, volunteers, staff, senior management team and Board
- Support an environment in which staff are developed and empowered to deliver excellence and reach their full potential through the focused application of their talents and creativity, and through cross-functional collaboration
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of fundraising staff to continue to raise the development bar at WaterAid, ensuring that the organization is optimally organized to achieve its vision and financial goals while assuring exceptional relations with donors, potential donors, volunteers and other constituents
- Engage Board members and other volunteers to extend and expand fundraising reach
- Raise the level of engagement of Board members overall, coaching and motivating them, and providing them with the necessary information and tool kit to achieve fundraising objectives
- Develop and prepare organizational strategic plans jointly with the CEO and other members of the senior management team within a values-driven, high-performance organizational culture to drive significant organizational change
- Establish WaterAid as a leader in the philanthropic sector for investment and impact, managing a comprehensive and integrated fund development program
- Implement and strategically manage a fundraising plan based on WaterAid’s long-term organizational strategy
Operations & Administration
- Project and control revenue and expense budgets for WaterAid Canada
- Develop, manage and monitor the development department's annual budget
- Develop, refine and implement policies, procedures, and reports to ensure appropriate donor stewardship and retention
- Oversee the effective use and function of the donor database (RE)
- Work with the finance team to track financial and program performance through regular reporting including revenue/expense and budget controls
- Prepare plans and reports, where appropriate for the Board of Directors while maintaining ethical standards
The Ideal Candidate
Our incumbent will be:
- An experienced, dynamic and inspiring leader with an exceptional talent for mobilizing resources through innovative fund development strategies, stewarding relationships leading to results and achieving ambitious fundraising goals
- A leader and mentor capable of inspiring, developing and unleashing the full potential of team members
- An inclusive, innovative and positive leader who will contribute to the development and implementation of WAC’s strategic objectives
- An advocate committed to water, sanitation and hygiene as fundamental building blocks to reducing inequality and achieving sustainable development outcomes
Qualifications & Requirements
Our successful candidate will have:
- Over 10 years in fund development experience with demonstrated success in leading a high-performance team to achieve fundraising goals
- An exceptional ability to cultivate high impact relationships and steward strategic funding relationships
- Demonstrated success in the following areas: securing major donors, organizing successful events; moving from corporate lead to securing corporate support; diversifying funding portfolio
- Proven entrepreneurial leadership skills, with the ability to successfully negotiate complex agreements
- Exceptional written ability and inspiring speaker
- Demonstrated consistent track record of achieving goals
- Ability to deliver successfully in a fast moving professional and focussed organization
- Willingness to travel in Canada and overseas
- Master’s degree in related field or equivalent experience. CFRE designation preferred
- Bilingual (French and English) a definite asset
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused organization then what are you waiting for? Apply now! Please include a cover letter and CV. Please note only qualified candidates will be contacted and the deadline to apply is Monday April 1, 2019.