Title: Communications Officer, 13-month contract
Department: Donor Relations & Communications
Reports to: Manager, Donor Communications
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre is inventing the future of health care with a focus on trauma, cardiac care, stroke, cancer, and high-risk pregnancy and newborns. Sunnybrook treats the most critically ill patients in Ontario, pioneering life-saving innovations that are changing patient outcomes around the world. Sunnybrook Foundation exists to raise the awareness and funds required to ensure that Sunnybrook achieves its mission.
Communications officers play a key role in the advancement effort. They are skilled writers who craft language to spark connections and build relationships between Sunnybrook and those with a desire to give. Adept at writing a range of communications materials, they are passionate storytellers who are as comfortable writing custom proposals, stewardship reports and speaking notes as they are brand marketing materials.
As one of a team of three communications officers, the candidate would be assigned a portfolio of hospital programs and become a content expert in those program areas, building relationships with medical staff, staying informed on priorities and keeping the Foundation’s key messaging and overview documents current. The officer simplifies complex medical concepts into easily understood descriptions that show impact and encourage donor engagement.
Experience writing and editing proposals, grant submissions and related advancement materials would be an asset.
- Understand the Sunnybrook brand, the strategic direction of the Foundation and Hospital priorities
- Acquire and maintain sound knowledge and understanding of the organization and all priority projects and programs within assigned hospital portfolio
- Interview specialists, research, compile and write all proposals and stewardship reports within assigned portfolio
- Write and/or edit presentations, meeting materials and event collateral materials including program copy and speaking notes within assigned portfolio
- Write and/or edit stories for Foundation publications, such as the annual Report to Donors and Sunnybrook magazine, including interviewing patients and donors
- Use InDesign for layout of donor communications within existing templates, including proposals and stewardship reports
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested
Skills and abilities required:
- Effective time manager with the proven ability to manage multiple projects over varying timelines, demonstrating excellence in prioritization and problem-solving
- Ability to maintain a positive, flexible and responsive attitude, professional image and team-oriented style
- Deep command of grammar and spelling
- Intellectual curiosity – possess an innate desire to learn and teach
- Persuasive and creative – able to visualize the coming together of images, graphics and printed work to craft a compelling story
- Invested – willing to work hard until the job is done
- Collaborative – open to receiving feedback and edits from various stakeholders
- Interviewing skills – able to extract meaningful and relevant information
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic design layout skills
- Resourcefulness in solving problems
- Work comfortably in a highly collaborative environment; manage competing interests and strong personalities
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related major
- Professional writing experience that includes assignments in the health-care sector; advancement writing or non-profit experience is an asset
- Proficient in writing a range of communications with emphasis on proposals, technical reports, briefing documents, presentations and speaking notes
- Strong interviewing and research skills with ability to summarize comprehensive medical information into clear, concise communications
- Excellent expository writing skills and a strong command of grammar, punctuation and syntax
- Ability to compose and self-edit
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments at once
- Accustomed to working collaboratively in a multi-stakeholder culture
- Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint
- Layout capability in InDesign
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience to FoundationHR@sunnybrook.ca by March 15, 2019.
Please quote “Communications Officer” in the subject line of your email. We thank all applicants for their interest in Sunnybrook Foundation. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.