The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital as well as their respective research arms, Toronto General Research Institute and the Krembil Research Institute. The Hospitals and the Research Institutes are members of University Health Network (UHN), which also includes Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehab Institute and the Michener Institute. UHN is a major landmark in Canada’s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths of this remarkable Hospital network, the organization brings together the talent and the resources that make it an international leader in healthcare. The Foundation’s vision and mission is to enable global leadership and innovation in health by developing strong relationships with University Health Network stakeholders. Our values are excellence, integrity, accountability, collaboration and donor-centered.
The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation is currently seeking a Director, Major Gifts.
Reporting to the Vice President, Major Gifts, the Director will assume a leadership role in the Department. Working with the Vice President, the Director will share the responsibility for administrative and operational management of a large Major Gifts team while also leading his/her own fundraising portfolio. The candidate will also provide leadership, direction and guidance to the Major Gifts team, including Campaign Directors, Principal Gift Managers, Development Officers and Development Associates and will provide professional guidance with respect to fundraising strategies and approaches for Major Gift solicitations.
The Role of the Director, Major Gifts will include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Assist in the organization and implementation of the Major Gifts program, including planning and reviewing short-term and long-term goals, objectives, timelines and budgets.
- Assist the Vice President, Major Gifts to ensure that TGWHF pursues a fully integrated approach to fundraising which includes combining current and deferred gift strategies.
- Ensure that objectives, projects and critical paths for the Major Gifts program are being met and that set processes/policies/procedures pertaining to solicitations are being followed and maintained such as prospect clearance, reporting, contacts/moves and information-sharing.
- Assist the Vice President, Major Gifts in providing leadership, priority setting and management direction to members of the Major Gifts team and, as appropriate, respond to the needs and interests of all program/teams.
- Member of Senior Leadership Team – attend and participate in Senior Leadership team meetings.
- Develop effective relationships with appropriate volunteers, medical staff and administration to promote their cooperation with TGWHF in the areas of prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Conduct regular reporting and analysis of TGWHF’s fundraising programs and results.
- Support the Vice President, Major Gifts, to ensure that all Major Gift communication materials for prospects, volunteers, physicians and other key constituents are accurate, prepared consistently and produced at a level of high quality.
- Where appropriate, provide effective leadership and supervision of any assigned staff.
- In consultation with the Vice President, Major Gifts, develop performance targets and accountability measures for areas of responsibility.
- Evaluate the progress of assigned constituency responsibilities and develop effective plans to adjust strategies and priorities, as required, to ensure success for the TGWHF.
- Support a positive and collaborative team dynamic with TGWHF departments Research, Events, Annual Program, Communications, Finance/Accounting and Donations Management.
- Special projects as required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Management and Operational Planning
- Revenue planning and fiscal projections of Major Gifts team budget including review with all Campaign Directors/Principal Gift Managers.
- Recruitment of Major Gift team members.
- Management of professional development for Major Gifts team.
- Provide updates and reports to senior leadership, including board members on status of fundraising projections, achievements and metrics.
- Review all staff expenses and manage expenses within budget.
- Evaluation and performance reviews.
- Work with Vice President, Major Gifts and Manager, Research to manage and prioritize prospect lists.
- Team building/organizing events.
- Work with Stewardship to ensure success of donor management and stewardship events.
- In collobration with Vice President, Major Gifts drive best practices for prospecting, management and reporting for Major Gifts team.
- Act as a seasoned solicitor and relationship manager for a select portfolio of Major donors/prospects; conduct and follow-up solicitations; ensure that contacts with donors and prospects are documented and tracked; and secure a minimum amount of gifts and number of contacts annually.
- Provide direct support to appropriate volunteers and medical staff in their efforts to conduct work on behalf of the Foundation, including one-on-one support; schedule and plan solicitations; conduct solicitation calls; and provide/prepare canvasser materials such as briefing notes, research profiles, reports and any other relevant information.
- Design and implement appropriate solicitation strategies including the development of presentations and strategic plans.
- Identify potential fundraising partnership/revenue-generating opportunities, including matching funds from government, industry, donors and other sources to create and/or leverage major gifts.
- Ensure that all appropriate Major Gift activity is recorded in Raiser’s Edge.
- Assist in the preparation and/or as needed, prepare high-quality materials such as proposals, grant applications, strategic correspondence and briefing materials, and reports.
- Ensure proper stewardship takes place following a gift to maintain the donor’s involvement, interest and support.
- In consultation with others involved with a prospect, determine the appropriate timing for solicitation, ensuring that canvassers are properly briefed and prepared in advance of any contacts being made. Participates in solicitation calls, as appropriate.
- Works with Communications to prepare written materials including case statements, tailored proposals, correspondence, progress reports, and planning documents.
- Demonstrated major gift development experience with $1M+ donors, including working closely with senior volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading and engaging fundraising team/department.
- Five to ten years involvement in a senior staff fundraising role with a proven track record of success.
- Ability to work in a hectic and results oriented environment.
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Word, database software and spreadsheet programs, familiarity with Raiser’s Edge.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- University degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills. Evidence of leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy, attention to detail, creativity.
- Proven ability to motivate and manage others, i.e., volunteers and staff.
- Hectic, service and results oriented environment. Significant amount of activity outside the office in meetings with prospects and volunteers.
- 8:45 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Regular daily hours of work with frequent evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in all positions throughout the Foundation.
- Shared commitment and support of the overall Foundation goals.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Closing Date: March 15, 2019
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.