Posted On: 2019-03-08
Closing On: 2019-03-22
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital as well as their respective research arms, Krembil Research Institute and Toronto General Research Institute. The Hospitals and the Research Institutes are members of University Health Network, which also includes Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, the Toronto Rehab Institute, and The Michener Institute. University Health Network (UHN) is a major landmark in Canada´s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths of this remarkable Hospital network, the organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare. The Foundation´s vision and mission is to enable global leadership and innovation in health by developing strong relationships with University Health Network stakeholders. Our Values are excellence, integrity, accountability, collaboration and donor-centered.
The Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation is currently seeking an Associate, Development Research, to work closely with Foundation and Campaign staff in support of the fundraising goals of the University Health Network. The Associate will assist the senior members of the development research team in maintaining a responsive and proactive donor research program. The Associate will code relevant donor information into the in-house prospect management database (Raiser’s Edge) for ongoing and future prospect identification, as well as other research projects and duties as they arise. The Associate will undertake research (information collection, interpretation, analysis) pertaining to major gift prospects that are proactively identified or requested by Foundation staff. Electronic information sources such as the Internet, commercial online services & databases and Raiser’s Edge will be the primary tools employed to acquire information.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures relevant donor information is coded on to the UHN (Raiser’s Edge) prospect management software for ongoing /future prospect identification.
- Proactively identifies, researches and promotes potential sources of major gift donors to support organizational goals.
- Uses initiative to follow-up on topical information and researches potential prospects utilizing commercial online services, the Internet, books, journals, newspapers and fundraising publications to garner applicable information on donors and prospects.
- Responsible for reviewing a variety of business publications to identify possible donors to the core fundraising program areas of the UHN.
- Synthesizes information from multiple sources into a coherent and accurate profile report presentation format that is used to support planning and decision-making.
- Handles information ethically, accurately and confidentially.
- Meets profile report deadlines and work standards.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned or required.
- University degree or equivalent experience. Preference given to library and information science professionals, or fundraising professionals.
- Technical/soft skills: Strong computer skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Superior organizational skills (time management, priority setting). Initiative/self-starter, tenacity. Analytical/planning. Attention to detail. Adaptability (ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously). Must maintain a high knowledge level of commercial database services (GrantConnect, Infomart, iWave) in order to capture the most recent biographical, financial and business information on current and prospective donors.
- Deadline- and results-oriented, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
Direct: Manager, Development Research
Indirect: Vice President, Major Gifts, Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
- Regular daily hours – some overtime likely required for special events/deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in all positions throughout the Foundation.
- Shared commitment and support of the overall Foundation goals.
IMPACT OF ERRORS
- Errors in information provision to Development staff and volunteers could result in embarrassment to the institution, loss of donations and loss of credibility to fundraising staff.
- Lack of an active service approach or missed deadlines can result in significant information being unavailable to development staff and volunteers for use in strategic planning for fundraising efforts.
- Must determine the difference between the inappropriate use of personal information and what is needed in order to conduct the business of the UHN. Verifies information collected from public sources ensuring that accurate and reliable resources are utilized. Avoids the use of anecdotal information. Handles sensitive information in an ethical and confidential manner.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Development Associate, Major Gifts
Closing Date: March 22, 2019
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.