Organization: The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
Title: Vice President, Brand & Integrated Marketing
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Location: 700 University Avenue, Toronto
Do you want to make a difference?
Do you want to help Conquer Cancer in Our Lifetime? Are you passionate about elevating the profile and fundraising capacity of Canada’s leading Cancer Centre? Are you inspired by the opportunity to lead the brand strategy for one of the GTA’s most iconic fundraising and healthcare organizations? Do you want to play a critical role in launching the largest fundraising campaign in Canadian healthcare history? Do you want to help build a case for support that extends across Canada and around the world? We already have the foundation in place; now we need an experienced brand executive to help us bring this vision to fruition.
Are you the right fit?
Consideration for this role starts with your own personal reflection. Are you a talented marketing strategist who conceives disruptive ideas that elevate and transform brands? Have you proven you can collaborate to craft, implement, and operationalize large-scale brand and marketing projects that drive revenue and build long-term public engagement? Are you a nimble and inspiring leader with a proven ability to lead high-performance, results-driven teams within fast-moving, test-and-learn environments?
Our ideal candidate understands that while achieving one’s goals is critical, achieving them through strong partnerships, authentic leadership, and integrity leads to greater long-term success. You have expertise in integrated brand strategy development and implementation, campaign planning and execution, omni-channel marketing and corporate communications. Ideally, you have experience with direct response marketing and are comfortable leading and growing this critical portfolio.
This role is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to utilize your marketing and communications expertise to expand the impact and reach of The Princess Margaret across Canada and internationally, in pursuit of our vision (which will be your vision): To Conquer Cancer in Our Lifetime.
The vision is a bold one, so we’re looking to build a team of high-performing individuals who share the same goal. We are not looking for mediocre, or even good. You need to be great. Because we have made important promises to the 1 in 2 Canadians who will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime --- and we intend to keep them.
If we’ve gotten you all revved up and ready to join the incredible team at The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation, then please read on.
About The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation (The PMCF) is one of the world’s leading cancer charities and ranks first nationally in the field of cancer research. The PMCF is bold, ambitious, and relentless in its vision: to Conquer Cancer In Our Lifetime.
The PMCF raises funds for Princess Margaret Cancer Centre—one of the top 5 cancer research centres in the world—to deliver future care now. For more than a decade, The PMCF has been on an aggressive growth trajectory. In F2017, they raised $112 million—their best year ever, and they are on track to raise even more in F2019 (year-end is March 31, 2019).
Setting daring and audacious goals is a mindset that is driven by PMCF’s culture and passion to perform. They have pioneered many successful fundraising programs, including their world-leading Princess Margaret Home Lottery, and some of the world’s largest cancer fundraising events, including:
- Rexall OneWalk to Conquer Cancer
- Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer
- Scotiabank Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer
The PMCF has a strong track record of securing and stewarding major and estate gifts primarily in the GTA. They engage supporters through annual campaigns, leadership and tribute giving, and more than 100 community events and ethno-cultural programs. Through a diverse and complementary portfolio of fundraising events, they attract over 300,000 gifts, 250,000 unique lottery purchasers, and 15,000 event participants and volunteers each year. And they engage with hundreds of corporate partners and their employees.
The PMCF’s distinguished Board engages in fundraising and provides governance and support through several very active committees. Princess Margaret is a proud member of University Health Network, Canada’s largest research hospital network (including Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto Rehab Institute, and The Michener Institute for Education).
And, you should know that we're not just invested in curing cancer in our lifetime; we're also invested in our people. We know that our overall success is a combined effort, and therefore we provide opportunities for our employees to learn grow and thrive. Organized extracurricular activities and social outings bring our team even closer together, making our work environment inviting and inspiring. Our mission is to have employees find a job they love, and we’re committed to creating an environment and a community where you’ll feel happy and fulfilled. Who says building a career can't be fun?
The PMCF is seeking an accomplished and ambitious leader to assume the role of Vice President, Brand & Integrated Marketing. Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Executive Officer, the successful candidate will lead the implementation of a multifaceted marketing and communications program by leveraging innovative digital technologies and utilizing the multiple owned media channels across the organization to create a single unified brand. The successful candidate will also lead all Direct Response Marketing and Community Giving fundraising activities. This is an opportunity to play a critical role in the launch of our largest-ever fundraising campaign, leading the development and implementation of a refreshed brand look, feel, and story.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Key Stakeholders: Board of Directors; President & CEO; Senior Leadership Team; Princess Margaret Cancer Centre/UHN Partners
Direct/Indirect Reports: AVP, Community Giving - 11 team members - Direct Mail, Digital Acquisition & Fundraising, Tribute & Memorial, Leadership Giving, Ethnocultural Strategy
Senior Director, Digital and Corporate Communications - 4 team members - Content Development, Masterbrand Communications, Digital and Online, PR
Director, Marketing & Communications - 7 team members – Internal Agency: Production, Graphics, Video, Web, Onsite Presence
Key External Relationships: Agency, Vendors & Consultants
Select funding and community partners as designated over time
Maintaining strong community relationships as a senior leader and ambassador of the Foundation amongst external stakeholders
The Vice President, Brand & Integrated Marketing will conceptualize, develop, and operationalize a transformational brand strategy in support of the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. Our organization has a strong history of brand presence across a series of program brands including The Ride, OneWalk, and our Home Lottery. Our growth strategy requires an integrated brand approach, building on the power of these programs and the global network of impact of The Princess Margaret to establish a clear, elevated brand position for our next transformational campaign. This new brand strategy will be developed in concert with the executive leadership, Board, and other key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will develop a strategic plan for the transformation of the Brand, Marketing and Communications functions to enable implementation of the Foundation’s new strategic plan. This includes accountability for planning, deploying, and measuring marketing and communication strategies to achieve in-year and multi-year acquisition, awareness and engagement objectives.
Key Areas of Responsibility
This is a mission-critical role that will advance projects in:
- Unifying legacy brands, and then taking the integrated Brand positioning from creative concept to campaign launch throughout the community, provincially, and beyond
- Campaign strategy and implementation
- Omni-channel marketing and communications planning and execution supporting all new and existing fundraising activities within the Foundation
- Define and drive direct and digital strategies for donor/partner acquisition, retention and engagement
- Data Analytics and Business Intelligence to drive marketing and communications
- Digital fundraising strategy and execution
- Driving growth within our community-giving portfolio through investments in donor acquisition, retention and upgrade projects
The Ideal Candidate
This position is a pivotal leadership role in the Foundation. Reporting to the COO, the Vice President, Brand & Integrated Marketing will be a seasoned marketing professional who is an expert in brand strategy direct response marketing, and with particular prowess in analytics and digital marketing.
Our successful candidate will carefully balance driving the overall brand and communications strategy for the organization, while successfully servicing all internal programs to fuel fundraising with access to critical marketing and communications resources. This individual will build digital capabilities and strengthen our internal production capacity to elevate the use of marketing, communications, and storytelling in fundraising. Also responsible for the Annual and Community Giving aspect of fundraising, the ideal candidate will have sector awareness and direct marketing experience – ideally with experience in healthcare. The Vice President, Brand & Integrated Marketing will have deep knowledge of cultural diversity and build brand awareness that is not just wide, but deep as well.
The opportunity will appeal to an accomplished, approachable brand and marketing communications executive with sophisticated relationship skills and experience successfully leading and inspiring a broad cross-functional team. The successful VP will display rigorous business acumen that can inform fresh and perhaps unconventional approaches – someone grounded but inquisitive, a leader with humility, a listener, but someone with big ideas, a data-driven planner who has grit and knows when to roll up their sleeves and get going. This leader will collaborate to build an inspired and engaged culture, one that fuels revenue generation, delivers a digital transformation, full brand alignment, and elevated impact benefitting patients at The Princess Margaret, across Canada, and around the world.
The successful candidate MUST have:
Authentic leadership capacity:
- Believes in the power and collective impact of exceptional teams and the importance of collaboration both with all key stakeholders - “we” is greater than “I”
- Servant leadership style
- Not content with the status quo—has the grit to roll up their sleeves and lead the entire team to help achieve bold objectives
- Can paint a big picture, but also pays close attention to details
- Values individuals and interactions over hard-and-fast processes – changing interactions and circumstances must shape processes to suit evolving markets and client preferences
- A true role model, demonstrating honesty, openness and transparency
- Puts the interests of the business ahead of personal interests
- Admits mistakes easily, with an eye to solving problems in the future
- High emotional intelligence, including high levels of self-awareness, empathy, and motivation, and the ability to regulate emotions
- Highly mission motivated; brings out the best in others by creating spaces for individuals to deliver on their “why?”
- Can read people and situations, understand body language, and ‘hear the unsaid’
- An expert in reciprocity and appreciation
- Sets an example through hard work and collegiality
- Lack of ego, preferring to recognize patients, donors, clinicians and scientists
- Must Have/Be: a self-starter with a can-do attitude and vision. This portfolio demands growth, innovation, and continual adaptation over the coming years and the successful candidate will need to provide effective leadership, model continuous learning, and think beyond today
- Strongly Preferred: Someone positive in nature, ready for any opportunity; high standards (‘good enough’ is never enough); a team player (we can do it attitude); a big thinker—national/global
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Coaching & People Leadership:
- Experience coaching and building high-performance teams
- Propel people toward the mission—can challenge and inspire
- Holds people accountable; team builder; attracts, retains and coaches individuals to grow and achieve within their roles and careers
- Be a disruptor who will create a positive culture of planning, implementation, and review; where review reveals areas for professional development and ongoing improvement and so are revised accordingly
Operating & Technology Skills:
- Deep understanding of B2B and B2C marketing and integrating marketing strategies cross-channel
- Strong awareness and use of digital marketing and social media channels (Google, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.) and partnership with social influencers
- Strong understanding of traditional marketing channels such as TV, radio and print, and possesses a strong network across a variety of media partners
- Technological expertise surrounding creative production (graphics, video, design) and digital technologies (web, online, Google analytics, etc.)
- Understands the structural importance of planning and tools, but values effective response to changing circumstances as the true means to achieving goals
- Demonstrated experience leading marketing campaigns with impact, driving revenue and increasing market share within highly competitive industries
- Experience supporting corporate communications
- Understands the sector and hospital/healthcare – products, donors, competitors, and suppliers
- Proven P&L responsibility
- Experience setting annual goals, especially in relation to a multi-year campaign
- At least ten years of Brand and Marketing Communications leadership, giving you a profound understanding of the importance of the role in delivering on the goals of the Foundation
- Experience crafting a broad strategy that has well-defined longitudinal goals and also the flexibility to adapt in response to changing circumstances; you are cognizant that to reach goals, plans sometimes need to change
- Capitalizes on opportunity, but not afraid to create collaborative relationships with stakeholders, donors, and communities
- Experience working with an accomplished Board of Directors and an Executive Team determined to support the goals of the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- Leadership experience in the not-for-profit sector, either through work experience or through senior volunteerism
- Views brand loyalty from the outside looking in, answering a simply complex question: why should I support The Princess Margaret?
- Pertinent degree, subsequent training/accreditation
- MBA/MMKG/MSc Marketing or related degree preferred
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge and an opportunity to work with a great team for a very important, focused and successful organization that is about to go through bold and aspirational change, and you believe you fully meet or exceed the qualifications outlined above, then we want to hear from you. Please email email@example.com and provide a copy of your current resume as well as a covering letter explaining why you should be considered as a serious candidate for this mission-critical position.
Submissions must be received by April 5th, 2019. Please note that only qualified respondents will be contacted.