Posted On: 2019-03-26
Closing On: 2019-04-26
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Dr. Jay Children’s Grief Centre is a Toronto-based non-profit organization that provides compassionate care, support and education to grieving children, youth and their families while building strength, resilience and hope. After operating as The Dr. Jay Children’s Grief Program out of the Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care at Mt. Sinai Hospital since 2006, Dr. Jay’s achieved charitable status in 2015 and became an independent Centre.
Each year in the Greater Toronto Area almost 40,000 children and youth experience the death of a family member. The Dr. Jay Children’s Grief Centre offers one-on-one counselling for children, education and modelling for parents and caregivers, support groups and gatherings for families, as well as a remarkable camp experience for bereaved children. A multidisciplinary and collaborative team of clinicians/ counsellors, educators, researchers, recreational and administration staff serve a diverse client base that requires prompt and responsive services.
Dr. Jay’s also educates, builds capacity and trains teachers, hospital staff, and other organizations in the community. The Centre provides free counselling services and programs to children and youth who have experienced (or are currently experiencing) a terminal illness and/or death, either personally or in their immediate family. These programs include:
- Grief & Palliative Care Counselling
- Family Support Program
- Youth Support Program
- Camp Erin Toronto
- Toronto Research & Evaluation
- Professional Education & Consultation
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is responsible for creating, implementing and managing the Dr. Jay Children’s Grief Centre fundraising program.
The position is a great fit for you if you are a driven, passionate individual who can help build a diversified fundraising program for this high-need non-profit.
- Are you a fundraiser with front-line fundraising experience?
- Are an effective writer, strong presenter and relationship builder?
- Do you have comfort, resiliency and confidence raising funds for an organization supporting grieving families?
Yes? Then read on….
Major gifts (70% of time)
- Increase revenue through corporate community investment and individual donations
- Manage a portfolio of 75 prospects including prospect identification through research, donor cultivation and solicitation
- Prepare proposals and deliver highly impactful presentations to diverse prospects, donors and other stakeholders
- Identify and execute acquisition strategies for Major Gifts (i.e. $50k and up) for individuals, clients and corporations and renew past supporters
- Engage and leverage the network of the Dr. Jay’s Fundraising Committee
- Engender a philanthropic culture amongst Board, staff, volunteers through awareness and engagement
- Develop and implement a strong donor stewardship program for individual and corporate donors
- Ensures that donors to Dr. Jay’s are thanked promptly, appropriately, professionally, and accurately
- Identify and develop new and innovative recognition opportunities for current and potential donors
Events (20% of time): Events at Dr. Jay’s encompass 3rd party events with a goal to add a Signature Event in the next 18 months.
- As the main contact for the organization’s four 3rd party run events, the Director of Development works to ensure that the 3rd party events policy is adhered to and the relationship is appropriately stewarded to ensure ongoing success. (Dr. Jay’s receives approximately $30k-$50k per event per annum.)
- Over a 1-year period, research, identify and recommend the best Signature Event for Dr. Jay’s
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of front-line donor solicitation experience securing five (5) figure gifts
- Post-secondary education in fundraising, marketing, business administration
- Exemplary interpersonal, relation management and presentation skills
- Demonstrated track record of executing successful Special Events
- Exceptional project management experience
- Flexible, adaptable, with an attitude of thriving and juggling priorities
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook/PowerPoint/Word/Excel)
- Donor database experience an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Experience working in a small shop
Dr. Jay’s offers:
- A flexible work schedule
- A committed caring and collaborative staff
- A strong Executive Director committed to supporting the fundraising plan and available for calls
Please submit a resume AND cover letter at email@example.com.
The Dr. Jay Children's Grief Centre views diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence as vital guiding principles in all of our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority group members, indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities and others who may contribute to the diversity of the Centre and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. If you require any accommodations due to disability please reach out to Human Resources and they will work with you in strictest confidence to make appropriate arrangements, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).