The Toronto Symphony Orchestra is one of Toronto’s most important cultural institutions, recognized internationally as an outstanding orchestra and proud to represent Canada on the world stage. The TSO inspires, enriches and engages audiences of all ages and serves as a showcase for the advancement of orchestral music. It is an exciting time in the organization’s history with many new initiatives underway that will deepen the TSO’s connection within the Toronto community and provide music lovers with meaningful opportunities to get involved.
This successful candidate is an experienced fundraiser with a proven track record of securing major gifts ($25,000+). Strong relationship management as well as experience with donor-centered strategy development are key/critical elements/components of the job. Reporting to the Director, Donor Relations & Engagement, the Associate Director will be responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of donors.
- Actively manage a portfolio of 75-100 major gift prospects and donors at various stages of their relationship with the TSO. Develop tailored cultivation programs and personalized stewardship activities including identifying, evaluating and recommending the strategic steps necessary to bring the prospect closer to making a major financial commitment.
- Oversee the ongoing identification, monitoring and evaluation of a prospect's level of giving capacity, as well as their readiness to give.
- Prepare written materials including case statements and tailored proposals, stewardship reports and prospect/donor correspondence.
- Liaise with staff in other departments to remain current with existing and planned TSO initiatives and priorities to promote opportunities for philanthropic support.
- Participate in department budgeting process, establishing annual revenue goals for giving and monitoring progress against goals; analyze monthly results and develop periodic forecasts; report progress to key volunteers.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Exceptional strengths in major gift fundraising including comprehensive knowledge of fundraising best practices and strategy. (7+ years of fundraising experience preferred)
- Ability to build strong relationships with prospective and current donors
- Work with a relatively high degree of independence, initiative and responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work collaboratively across Development department and entire TSO
- Strong analytical skills, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Highly professional; conscientious with a high degree of personal integrity
- Interest in and knowledge of orchestral music highly desirable
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Ability to work with confidential information
- Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and development software (Tessitura)
- Flexibility in hours and the ability to work evenings and/or weekends during the TSO season (September - June) is required.
The Toronto Symphony Orchestra provides a collegial work environment and opportunities for advancement. TSO is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. The TSO is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, the TSO will work with you to meet your needs.
While the TSO thanks all applicants for their interest, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Application deadline is April 15, 2019. Please send your resumé and cover letter to:
Dawn Marie Schlegel
Director, Donor Relations & Engagement