Posted On: 2019-04-10
Closing On: 2019-05-10
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose summary:
Reporting to the Team Lead - Divisional Philanthropy, the Senior Philanthropy Advisor is accountable for the effective and customized cultivation and solicitation of donations; in partnership with the Philanthropy team and Divisional Stewardship, the recognition and stewardship of prospective individual, corporate and foundation sectors, with an emphasis on high net worth donors and legacy giving. He/she is accountable for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors at the major gift level. A goal of ensuring strategic high level engagement with donors who have a passion for philanthropic impact, the incumbent will maximize revenue to support mission priorities. This position focuses on donor centered fundraising of major gifts through the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of a portfolio of donors and prospects in support of the Ontario Central East Division.
This role will work closely with Divisional Stewardship, Communications, and with the Philanthropy Manager to define giving opportunities and sustain a robust prospect pipeline.
Fundraising and Strategic Planning
- Collaborate closely with Divisional Stewardship to develop and deliver high quality, highly customized proposals, solicitations, and stewardship materials
- Contribute to the development of annual mid-level and major gift financial targets; reviewing financial results and projections, to mitigate challenges and optimize opportunities
- Assist promote and support a culture of philanthropy and the Divisional Development function in Ontario-Central East, as a key priority
- Assist in the development and maintenance of robust donor pipelines
- Collaborate actively with the Social Service team to ensure appropriate representation of staff, Area Commanders, Officers and executives, etc. at donor meetings and/or events
- The incumbent will spend approximately 80% of time facilitating face to face relationship building efforts, with an expectation of 8+ face to face strategic contacts/month.
- Cultivate, solicit, recognize, and steward relationships with stakeholders; working in partnership with the Philanthropy team, Area Commanders, Officers and ministry staff
- In alignment with the Divisional Development team’s strategic plan, deliver on annual targets and achieve philanthropic goals, with personal accountability for $2MM+ in annual revenue
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects in various stages of identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
Central Database Recording
- Ensure the seamless collection and coordination of information for prospective donor advancement purposes
- Participate in an integrated moves management program and prospect clearance process
- Ensure that all outcomes from prospect, supporter and volunteer contact are recorded in the database within 48 hours
- Perform other duties, as assigned
CRITICAL RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Governance Boards and Councils: None
- OCE DHQ
- Development Team
- Ministry Units
- Philanthropy Team
- Potential and existing prospects and donors
MANAGERIAL/Technical Leadership RESPONSIBILITY:
- Reports directly to the Head of Divisional Philanthropy
- This position has no direct reports but provides technical leadership and major gift expertise; mentoring direct reports, and peers
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT:
- Though this role will solicit for donations, this role does not directly process any financial transactions and has no budgetary responsibilities
- This role uses organization assets in accordance with established guidelines
- Typical office environment, with regular travel, mostly around the GTA to donor meetings
- Work is normally during business hours
The above responsibilities must be discharged in accordance with The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement, in a professional manner, exemplifying Christian standards of conduct.
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree is a desired asset
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- 5-7 years of Development experience, with major gifts experience for at least 3 years
- Experience working in fast-paced development office, in a capital campaign environment with goals and objectives at $100MM+ preferred
- Experience working in a collaborative, multi-layered and complex environment utilizing moves management between prospect research, data analytics, development and stewardship functions
- Reliable travel required license required
- A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
Skills and Capabilities:
- Committed to participating in a donor-centered environment in building mutually beneficial life-long relationships with donors
- Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills.
- Highly developed relationship management skills.
- Proven ability to negotiate and to be diplomatic and discreet.
- Focused and goal-oriented.
- Proven ability to inspire confidence, to motivate others and to persuade.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development, briefings, letters, and presentation to internal and external contacts
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and leverage innovative approaches to prepare and present grant applications and funding proposals
- A strategic, adaptable mindset with superior listening skills and the ability to interpret and act on the concerns and interests of corporations/donors; developing solutions to work through concerns and utilizing interests to engage prospects and donors to commit
- Open to working through the challenges of prospect relationships, and have the confidence and ambition to never give up, even after a stream of rejections
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development to stay informed about fundraising initiatives and the organization’s mission and objectives
- Understanding and adherence to Imagine Canada Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Code of Ethics, Policies and Procedures
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once from conception to completion with tightly prescribed timelines
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relationships and partnerships with clients, peers and external stakeholders
- Ability to create effective proposal plans which caters to each individual donor’s interest, motivation, giving patterns, ask preferences, and financial goals
- Must be highly motivated and able to research new prospects and emerging market trends for best practices and potential new strategies applicable to the organization
- Proven research, analytical, decision making, and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer service and donor-centered orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to support, advance, and protect the mission, goals and values of the organization
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week
Learn more and apply here: https://salvationarmy.ca/blog/jobs/senior-philanthropy-advisor/
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.