Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation (PRHCF) is seeking an experienced major gift fundraiser in the role of Specialist, Major Gifts. The Specialist, Major Gifts will be a motivated and results-oriented fundraising professional with a passion for healthcare and a commitment to helping donors understand the tangible ways their support is transforming the lives of patients and their families.
Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy, the Specialist, Major Gifts will support volunteers’ fundraising efforts and will be responsible for identifying and qualifying existing and prospective donors, cultivating positive relationships with individuals and corporations, and directly soliciting gifts at the $25,000+ level.
ABOUT PETERBOROUGH REGIONAL HEALTH CENTRE
PRHC is a state-of-the-art regional hospital with a proud history extending back over a century and delivering acute healthcare to a rapidly-growing population in Peterborough and the surrounding communities, including the First Nations of Curve Lake, Alderville and Hiawatha. Regional programs serve people from across Peterborough County, the City of Kawartha Lakes, Haliburton and Northumberland counties, and the Region of Durham.
As a regional hospital with nearly 500 inpatient beds and one of the busiest Emergency Departments in Ontario, PRHC offers a wide range of services, including specialized programs in renal, stroke, cardiac, cancer care, vascular surgery and mental health and addictions. PRHC is the region’s largest employer with more than 2,400 staff, 400 physicians with privileges and 600 volunteers.
Out of nearly 800 hospitals from across the U.S. and Canada who participated in the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program, PRHC has been recognized among 66 hospitals deemed “Meritorious” for surgical quality in 2016. Only eight of the 66 hospitals recognized for this achievement are located in Canada. Other hospitals include Sunnybrook Health Sciences, Mount Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, and Johns Hopkins. PRHC was recently accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest level of accreditation awarded.
ABOUT PETERBOROUGH REGIONAL HEALTH CENTRE FOUNDATION
The Foundation is committed to supporting PRHC’s centres of excellence, which serve the region with state-of-the-art cancer care, cardiac care, and vascular surgery – some of the fastest growing and most innovative areas of healthcare. Supporting outstanding patient care at Peterborough Regional Health Centre has been the Foundation’s purpose, promise and passion for almost 40 years.
The PRHC Foundation works with donors to fund the equipment and technology that form the backbone of patient care at Peterborough Regional – bringing new lifesaving services to our region, and helping attract and retain expert doctors, nurses and staff. The Foundation has raised more than $45 million for PRHC in the last 10 years to support:
Donors make great patient care possible. At the Foundation, we think of patients as representing our loved ones, friends and neighbours. Donor investment has helped to determine the standard of care received by hundreds of thousands of patients – bridging the gap between adequate and excellent healthcare. By securing the best equipment, philanthropy also helps PRHC to attract and retain expert doctors, nurses and staff by offering them the tools they need to deliver the best patient care every day.
In fiscal year 2017/18, the PRHC Foundation raised $7.1 million and was able to make the largest single year commitment to the hospital in the Foundation’s history.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be an experienced and driven fundraiser with the passion to inspire support to bridge the ever-increasing gap between government funding and the necessary costs of providing high-quality healthcare.
With a proven track record of closing major gifts, the Specialist, Major Gifts will have demonstrated experience at the five and six figure level. Forward thinking and optimistic, the new incumbent will approach their role with an ‘out the door’ mentality, possessing the strong interpersonal and research skills to create and leverage connections to strategically build and manage their prospect pipeline.
The successful candidate will have an open and engaging communication style, is willing to learn from colleagues and share skills and experience to enhance the knowledge of team members. A collaborative relationship builder, the ideal candidate will embrace the opportunity to support, coach, and partner with physicians and colleagues across the hospital, and senior volunteers to enhance donor relationships.
Curious, proactive and goal oriented, the Specialist, Major Gifts with thrive in a fast-paced culture that fosters passion as well as results. Self-motivated and confident, the new incumbent will have the ability to work autonomously and also be a dedicated team player motivated by both personal and team success.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Donor Development & Major Gift Solicitation
- Build and grow a robust major gift donor and prospect pipeline and facilitate active movement within the pipeline toward achievement of personal and major gift team revenue goals.
- Work closely with development colleagues, physicians and volunteers to develop and implement strategies to secure financial support for approved fundraising initiatives including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors and prospects (i.e., corporations and individuals) capable of making gifts of $25,000+.
- Build and manage a personal portfolio of 120-150 donors and prospects to support the highest priority needs of the Hospital while delivering an exceptional donor experience to enable deep and meaningful, long-term relationships with the Hospital.
- Support the work of the Development Committee of the Board and a personal cadre of volunteers to assist in identifying cultivation strategies for specific prospects and donors, including assisting Board Members and other senior volunteers in playing an effective role in donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Maintain accurate constituent and call report records in Raiser’s Edge and use the database for reporting on personal and volunteer portfolio.
- Deliver an exceptional donor stewardship experience through impact reporting, tours, newsletters, and hosting meetings, in addition to fulfilling stewardship plans as set forth for major donors.
- Work collaboratively with gift administration team on gift administration and fulfillment.
- Develop and present compelling, impeccably written, inspirational proposals to prospects and donors, with follow though to timely closure.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to inform and inspire support.
- Work with Communications staff to ensure appropriate materials to support cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Actively seek out opportunities to be involved in the community; act as an ambassador for the Foundation and Hospital.
- Adhere to the AHP and AFP Code of Ethics and Donor Bill of Rights.
- Maintain skills / knowledge by attending professional development sessions and keeping informed of PRHC Foundation policies and procedures. Stay informed of best practices in the major gift field at all times.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy.
- Demonstrated experience in all aspects of the donor relationship cycle, in achieving revenue targets and in closing gifts at the five figure level and above.
- Experience working with and supporting senior level volunteers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with expert relationship building abilities.
- Highly productive and self-sufficient, using time wisely and achieving revenue goals within prescribed timelines.
- Proficient in required platforms including Microsoft Outlook and Raiser’s Edge.
- Enthusiastic and collaborative team member with a sense of humour and strong work ethic.
- Outstanding communication skills both written and verbal; strong public speaker; excellent listener.
- Highly adaptable and comfortable working in a fast paced environment; comfortable with change.
- Professional maturity, diplomacy and confidentiality demonstrated at all times.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some weekends.
- University degree in a related field. Comparable skills and experience may be considered.
- CFRE is an asset.
- Previous campaign experience is an asset.
- While residency in Peterborough is not required for candidates, the Foundation and its stakeholders hope that its new Specialist, Major Gifts will choose to live in one of the vibrant communities which the PRHC serves.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of the Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Senior Consultant, Search + Talent at PRHCF@kcitalent.com or 416-340-9710 ext. 1038.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To apply, please send resume and letter of interest to the email address above by May 13, 2019