Built on a foundation of community donations half a century ago, North York General continues to be a destination for philanthropy to support exceptional and compassionate health care from birth to end of life. In 2019, the Hospital was named the second-best hospital in Canada and one of the top 100 hospitals in the world by Newsweek Magazine’s comprehensive review of 1,000 hospitals in 11 countries. North York General Foundation’s vision is to become the top charity in North Toronto.
North York General Hospital [“NYGH”] and Foundation [“NYGF”] leadership and staff have built a partnership that is envied. Each organization is led by an outstanding and committed Board of Governors, who provides the entire Foundation team with support, passion, creativity and leadership.
With the completion of the $150M Campaign for North York General a year ahead of schedule in 2018, and subsequent extension to $180M, philanthropy has completed critical projects across the Hospital, transforming NYGH from a community care-hub to an internationally recognized institution of health care excellence.
The Foundation is supported by generations who share the vision of keeping exceptional care in this community’s backyard. The next exciting phase of capital development is unfolding in real time. Later this year, NYGH will be submitting their Stage 1 request for approval for the largest expansion since their opening in 1968. Philanthropy once again will be at the centre of this capital development.
Reporting to the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy, the Director, Philanthropy [“Director”] provides leadership, coaching and mentoring to North York General Foundation’s revenue generating team. The Director contributes to the planning and implementation of Foundation strategies to maximize individual, corporate and Foundation donor support. In addition to leading diaspora philanthropy, the Director will formulate strategies for raising gifts of $1M+ and solicit gifts of $100K+ with appropriate consultation and assistance from volunteer leaders and senior management. Leading by example, the Director will build a personal portfolio of 50-80 prospects.
About North York General Hospital
North York General Hospital, affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for patient- and family-centred care.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions to prepare future physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come to North York General to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Opportunity and Key Accountabilities
- Personally manage a portfolio of 50-80 major gift prospects with specific annual revenue and pledge targets
- Lead and grow the planned giving program
- Drive the Diaspora philanthropy strategy as one of the top priorities of the Foundation
- Support Foundation special events through the solicitation of high-level sponsorships
- Support the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy in the development of an annual revenue plan including preparing and managing the team budget
- Plan, direct and establish overall objectives and priorities for the philanthropy team (both professional and organizational)
- Manage the philanthropy team including recruitment and retention, performance management, establishing and achieving fundraising goals and coaching and mentoring
- Working with the Manager, Prospect Research, advance the prospect pipeline, ensuring the team adheres to moves management best practice protocols
- Engage regularly with relevant hospital and volunteer leadership, staff and physicians
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors
- Assist the Vice President, Philanthropy and Strategy on special projects that will enable the team to meet annual and strategic planning goals
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct the role with integrity and respect
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the community, positively representing the hospital and the Foundation
Desired Leadership Qualities and Competencies
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience
- CFRE an asset
- 7+ years of major gift experience and 3 years of senior leadership managing a team of fundraisers
- Knowledge and experience in managing a planned giving program an asset
- Hospital fundraising experience preferred
- Knowledge of North York General’s brand and its unique perspective in the GTA health care landscape
- Ability to build a strong fundraising team including coaching and mentoring the philanthropy team to improve their skills and build their career
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and adapt strategic fundraising plans
- Demonstrated experience in creating and presenting proposals to donors
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other Foundation staff effectively and collaboratively
- Experience working with senior volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities
- Basic understanding of the health care delivery system in Ontario
- Proven ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
North York General Foundation offers a comprehensive compensation/benefits package, a professional and balanced working environment, and an opportunity to grow with an organization that represents excellence in the not-for-profit sector.
How to Apply
If you are interested in exploring this exciting Director, Philanthropy opportunity, please provide a detailed cover letter and resume highlighting your relevant major gifts and philanthropy leadership experience to Lisa Heidman
LL.B., ICD.D, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Arlington Partners International at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to exploring your candidacy.