The nature of the Canadian charitable sector has changed – irreversibly. New ideas, new models, new technologies, new generations and new Canadians present new opportunities and challenges for Canadian charities. Where do we go from here? At KCI, that’s our favourite question.
We are Canada’s leading consultants to the non-profit sector with professionals across the country in fundraising, strategy, research & analytics, and executive search.
Our core purpose is to inspire and enable organizations to raise money, to make the dream of better communities and improved lives a reality. And through our 35 years of experience, we’ve helped thousands of organizations craft their strategies, build their teams and raise billions of dollars. We serve our clients through a wide variety of services including: Fundraising Counsel & Campaigns; Assessments & Strategy Development; Research & Analytics; Communications & Case Development; and Executive Search + Talent Services.
In doing that work, we firmly place our focus on values and people…both ours and our clients’. We are proudly and resolutely guided by our core values: the highest integrity in all our actions; commitment to excellence and innovation in everything we undertake; openness to new ideas; and collaborative and respectful relationships with our colleagues and our clients. We hire to these values and live them every day.
At KCI, our people are our most valuable resource. We hire the best and brightest, provide them with ongoing training and support, and give them the opportunity to work with a range of clients in different regions and charitable sectors across the country. We strive to foster a collaborative culture of professional and personal growth, and to recognize, value, and develop the individual skills and contributions of each of our team members.
And because we know the future won’t look like the past, we hold capacity building, knowledge sharing and insight creation at our core. We have made it our business to know What’s Next.
For more information about KCI, please visit: https://kciphilanthropy.com/
ABOUT KCI’S SEARCH + TALENT PRACTICE
As part of our focus on helping Canadian non-profits build philanthropic and organizational capacity, KCI’s Search Practice supports our clients in finding, retaining, and developing their leaders and team members. KCI’s Search + Talent Practice focuses exclusively on the non-profit sector; we have experience in a wide variety of institutions and organizations within the sector. We choose to work only with Canadian client organizations, though many of our searches are in fact international in scope.
Our Search Consultants are specialists who focus primarily on professional recruitment and talent management projects for our clients. Each member of our dedicated recruitment consulting team has extensive professional experience in fundraising and in not-for-profit organizational management or leadership roles. This means we deeply understand the roles that we are helping our clients to fill, as well as the complexity of the client’s organization. As well, we each draw on our own as well as KCI’s established networks within the sector and profession.
THE SENIOR SEARCH CONSULTANT ROLE
As KCI’s search practice continues to grow, we are adding to our national team of specialist professional search consultants. We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Search Consultant in the Greater Toronto Area. We are seeking someone who is passionate about building organization capacity by helping to build human capacity. Previous professional recruitment experience is not required for this position.
Reporting to and working closely with Tara George, Partner / Lead, KCI Search + Talent, the Senior Search Consultant will be responsible for managing a portfolio of recruitment projects, helping our clients to identify, attract, hire, and retain professional staff for a variety of positions and a variety of levels in the not for profit sector.
Search Consultants travel to client locations, and to our Toronto office, as needed. A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required. Occasional overnight travel is also expected.
In order to deliver exceptional service to our clients and candidates, specific responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to:
- Developing a comprehensives project plan and timeline for every search
- Conducting pre-search consultations with client staff members and key stakeholders
- Advising on position titles and compensation
- Writing executive briefs and recommending advertising plans
- Undertaking prospective candidate research
- Contacting and following up with sources and potential candidates
- Ongoing contact and updates with clients, identifying and sharing challenges and results
- Promoting client employment opportunities directly to candidates via telephone, email, and face-to-face conversations
- Managing candidate lists and materials, and partnering with administrative staff on key documents
- Conducting candidate evaluations and interviews
- Leading or brokering negotiation discussions
- Conducting references conversations and writing reference reports
- Acting as an ambassador for KCI, promoting KCI services and the search practice in general, and identifying and cultivating prospective clients if possible
- Performing follow-up and check-ins following placements
- Operating with a focus on delivering outstanding client service at all times
Flexibility in schedule is a necessity for this position, including meetings, calls and travel outside normal business hours. As a result, we are happy to be flexible with our employees. Employees are expected to manage their own time and work schedules.
To be successful in this role, the Senior Search Consultant must demonstrate:
- A broad-based professional experience in fundraising or not for profit leadership, with experience including major, annual, and planned giving, sponsorship, events, etc. preferably in more than one segment of the non-profit sector
- Previous experience managing both staff and volunteers; experience as a member of an organizational leadership team would be advantageous, as would experience working with Boards
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, and high attention to detail, resulting in the ability to multitask, prioritize, and build relationships in an efficient and systematic manner
- An exceptional work ethic coupled with an internal drive to succeed and improve
- A collaborative mindset and approach, and the ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Consistency, dependability, honesty, and loyalty
- Impeccable professionalism, integrity, and judgement, including exceptional confidentiality
- Strong written communication, listening, and verbal communication skills
- An innate desire to ask questions, learn, grow, and improve; and to help others do the same
- Curiosity about people and organizations, and the conditions that lead to their mutual satisfaction and success
- Ability to deploy persuasiveness and influence in appropriate ways
- The ability to connect and develop rapport quickly, and to maintain strong professional relationships over the long term
- Strategic mindset and approach, and the ability to quickly and effectively synthesize information, draw parallels and conclusions, and suggest potential solutions
- Tenacity and persistence coupled with investigation and research skills
- A deep personal satisfaction from providing high-quality service and exceeding expectations
- A passion for and commitment to the not-for-profit sector and the positive impact that client organizations effect on society, as evidenced through volunteer work within the sector or profession
- Maturity, confidence, and a high degree of emotional and social intelligence
- Openness and flexibility in thinking, attitude, and style; willingness to share and consult with search team colleagues
- Enthusiasm, lots of positive energy, and a can-do attitude
FOR MORE INFORMATION
We believe that people are catalysts and that organizations can only achieve their full potential with the right people on their team. This is true both for our clients and for KCI.
For inquiries or more information, please contact:
Vice President, Search + Talent
To be considered, candidates should send both resume and letter of interest to Christoph.