Posted On: 2019-04-25
Closing On: 2019-05-19
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Competition #: 840884
Job Title: Coordinator Philanthropy
Job Category: Foundation
New Work Type: Full-Time Permanent
Positions Available: 2
Union Affiliation: NU
Posted Date: 24/04/19
Closing date: 19/05/19
Salary Range: To be determined
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001): 1
St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, through its philanthropic activities, assists St. Michael’s Hospital in attracting the resources required to fulfill and enhance its mission of caring, research and education as inspired and fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Our physicians, surgeons, scientists and staff are relentless in taking on some of the world’s most intractable health challenges. At St. Michael’s, our health-care teams have a unique attitude. They never say no. They never give up. No matter the problem, St. Michael’s looks for a way to solve it. St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation is leading the way in helping the hospital break new ground in kidney transplantation, neonatal care, multiple sclerosis, and cardiac and neuro innovation. It’s thanks to our die-hard donors and champions – who go to the wall for St. Michael’s, day in and day out – that St. Michael’s can continue to develop revolutionary approaches to patient care and to conduct research that changing how diseases are treated and future generations of doctors and scientists are educated.
The Foundation supports St. Michael’s ongoing mission to be a healthcare leader providing innovative and compassionate care driven by the incredibly generous help and support of all its donors. Since the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute debuted in 2011, St. Michael’s has become internationally renowned as a research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, you will become part of a growing team of top and incredibly dynamic team of fundraisers who support St. Michael’s as an internationally renowned patient care and research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
Philanthropy Coordinator at St. Michael's Hospital Foundation are part of a dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. This role’s primary responsibility will be to contribute to the planning, implementation, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through various channels integral to building a robust pipeline of prospects and donors. Positions will focus on (but are not limited to) our leadership giving, grateful patient program, campaign development and pipelines, and support of our sophisticated donor relations program.
These positions work closely and collaboratively with the Sr. Director and a team of dynamic Directors of Philanthropy, in the rollout of effective and sustainable programs to achieve targets and other agreed financial and non-financial goals for the Leadership Giving, Grateful Patient, Campaign, Planned Giving and Donor Relations portfolios.
Activities: Fundraising Support
- Supports the philanthropy team to successfully cultivate, solicit and steward donors, prospects and volunteers to meet the fundraising goals of the Foundation.
- Drafts correspondence, reports, invitations and other communications for philanthropy officers.
- Supports Director and philanthropy teams in development and execution of leadership, major gifts and pledges for donors.
- Supports the activities that arise from individualized stewardship plans
- Communicates with the offices of donors, administrators and volunteers to provide information and follow-up, as assigned
- Reviews and tracks funds and reports on use of gifts, as assigned.
- Updates and inputs donor information on a centralized database (Raiser’s Edge).
- Initiates donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship packages, call reports and meeting notes
- Produces prospect lists, gift information and action task lists from the database in a timely and efficient manner
- Assists in the coordination of Hospital tours and meetings for current and prospective donors.
Activities: Operations Support
- Prepares and distributes reports and presentation material using various software tools for word processing spreadsheets, database management including but not exclusive to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Raiser’s Edge, and Power Point.
- Provides support to donors, staff and volunteers-preparing basic information requests, prospect profiles, briefing notes, faxes, etc.
- Completes appropriate gift processing forms. Prepares and distributes correspondence, meeting minutes and Committee rosters.
- Ensures donor gifts, pledges/reminders, tax receipts, and thank you letters are processed and issued in a timely manner.
- Ensures proper electronic and hardy copy filing of proposals, donor gift agreements, acknowledgements, stewardship letters and reports and correspondence.
- Assists the Director and Major Gifts team with key volunteer and donor initiatives.
- Schedules internal and external meetings with volunteers, donors and senior hospital leaders.
- Organizes meetings including room bookings, catering if necessary, agendas, minutes, preparation of presentations, handouts and other materials.
- Works with team to ensure financial information, background and analysis is provided to staff to fulfill their fundraising responsibilities.
- Supports Philanthropy Officers by undertaking meeting coordination and logistics to support donor meetings.
- Prepares thank-you letters and co-ordinate tax receipts.
- Maintains regular communication with Foundation staff regarding event activities.
- Maintains timely, consistent and accurate coding of donor records in Raiser’s Edge
- Develops all logistical and other details associated with planning and execution of successful stewardship & cultivation events in collaboration with the events team.
- Works as a highly collaborative team player with integrity and respect.
- Acts as an Ambassador throughout the community to positively represent the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Abides by the policies and procedures of SMH and SMF.
- Abides by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and works in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned in order to meet the goals of the Foundation.
- Operates within the culture and core values of the organization.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Post-secondary education in a related field – college minimum, university preferred - or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in a fundraising environment.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with computer applications on a Windows platform (Word, Excel, Power Point, electronic mail/scheduling, internet)
- Previous experience working with databases (particularly Raiser’s Edge) is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person-to-person relationship-building skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a high pressure and demanding work environment.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a fundraising team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality is essential.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.