Posted On: 2019-05-06
Closing On: 2019-06-10
Location: Calgary, AB
Employment Type: Full-Time
Over 35 Years of Growing Hope
The Mustard Seed is a Christian non-profit organization that has been serving people experiencing poverty and homelessness in Alberta since the ‘80s. It has become a haven for those needing help, which is offered through open hands with unconditional love.
The initial idea for a street ministry for the homeless grew out of the Burning Bush Coffeehouse in Calgary, Alberta, which was run by the First Baptist Church in the ‘70s and early ‘80s. It became a reality in 1984, when founder Pat Nixon planted The Mustard Seed in an old house downtown, which later grew into a larger building on 11 Avenue SE.
The Mustard Seed has been an agent of change for more than three decades.
Today, The Mustard Seed has expanded across western Canada with multiple locations in Alberta and British Columbia. It offers an expansive range of programs and services to our most vulnerable community by providing basic needs (food, clothing, and hygiene items), education, employment programs, health and wellness services, spiritual care, housing, and emergency shelter.
The more than 400 staff who work at The Mustard Seed care about the whole person – physical, mental and spiritual. They recognize that the root cause of poverty and homelessness are complex and diverse, and so the organization continues to grow with the needs of those it serves.
Position: Chief Development Officer
Location: Calgary, AB
The Candidate: This opportunity requires a unique leader with strong values.
You are a seasoned leader with a strong business development and/or fundraising track record of verifiable results in developing high value donor relationships that consistently delivers gifts in the high 5 - 6 figures and beyond range. You have an entrepreneurial mindset and see the possibilities for growth to support homelessness and poverty. Your deep leadership experience enables you to identify talent, mentor and grow a strong team.
The Mustard Seed is seeking an engaging, motivated, results-oriented individual to take on this exciting leadership role. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be responsible for overseeing the execution of fundraising activities for The Mustard Seed. Working closely with the CEO and the Executive Team to maximize philanthropic support, the CDO will develop and help execute a multifaceted fundraising program. S/he will lead the development team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward significant donors and seek out new sources of revenue.
- An opportunity-seeker who is a strategic and visionary leader with a minimum of 5 - 7 years in a senior position in for-profit or non-profit leadership
- Deep experience managing a six to seven figure major gift portfolio or sales portfolio and/or with strong business development skills
- Demonstrated track record leading highly effective teams
- Proven ability to lead in a faith-based and inclusive organization that respects Christian roots, relationships and traditions and is comfortable in communicating his/her faith
- Strong track record of building relationships with high net-worth donors and securing gifts (maintaining a portfolio of prospects) while leading, mentoring and coaching a fundraising team
- Good financial acumen
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the confidence to meet very high expectations
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate with a diverse range of donor motivations
- Knowledge of databases (Sales Force is donor database)
- Experience of digital fundraising
- Ability to travel (20% of time)
- Understands, values and practices Servant Leadership
- University degree or a complimentary level of education
This search is being conducted on behalf of The Mustard Seed by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
By June 10, 2019 please apply with your cover letter and resume, as two separate documents, through our website at http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/dccjob/64/.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.