For over 45 years Nellie’s has been providing shelter and support for marginalized women and their children in the Greater Toronto Area. We are mandated to operate programs and services for women and children who had or are experiencing violence, poverty, and homelessness. Nellie’s works to lessen homeless for women and their children whether the cause is family violence, mental health, or any other reason that results in dealing with the impact from trauma. In addition to providing shelter, our programs are designed to reduce the isolation that often comes with abuse.
Our core operations involve our 40-bed emergency shelter for women and their children who are homeless or escaping violent situations. In addition to our shelter, Nellie’s operates Community Support and Outreach programs that provides after care support and follow-up services to women and their children after they leave the shelter, as well as transitional housing support for women living in the community who are homeless or at-risk of becoming homeless.
Nellie’s is currently looking to hire a Development Officer to strengthen our development team. The incumbent must be organized, enthusiastic, adaptable, detail oriented, a strong collaborator, able to work in an open concept office environment, and have a strong interest in fundraising for marginalized women.
Nellie’s is committed to the development of an agency that reflects the women it serves. This position is open to all women*. Woman* signifies anyone who self-identifies as female, femme and/or woman. This includes transwomen, cisgender women, non-binary people who identify as femme or female presenting. Applications from equity seeking groups are strongly encouraged.
Under the general direction of the Director of Development, the incumbent is accountable for overseeing the planning, implementation and achievement of all Annual Giving campaigns, including direct mail solicitations and online giving. The incumbent is also responsible for developing fundraising opportunities (gifts up to $25,000 annually) from individual and family foundations and helping to grow corporate donors to support the agency’s strategic fund development priorities. The incumbent will also ensure effective stewardship takes place following a gift to maintain the donor's involvement, interest and continued support.
- Advance the profile of Nellie’s to donors, prospects and the community to inspire ongoing commitment which will ensure necessary resources to meet the agency’s current and future needs.
- Contribute to an annual fund development plan and budget for the organization
- Participate in major gift revenue projections, forecasting and budget monitoring
- Support and work closely with the Director Development to actively engage new prospects and build strategic moves for existing relationships with donors at all giving levels
- Develop targeted solicitation strategies, customized proposals and grant submissions to secure gifts up to $25,000
- Direct proactive research and participate in ongoing prospect identification, taking responsibility to acquire new corporate donors
- Ensure that all gifts are received in accordance with Canada Revenue Agency and Nellie’s gift acceptance policies
- Collaborate with the Fundraising Development Admin Worker to engage community and corporate partners who host fundraising events for Nellie’s
- Help grow revenue generating third party fundraising initiatives
Donor Relations and Stewardship:
- Connect with donors on a regular basis to share news, updates, Impact Reports, annual reports; provide customized correspondence and reports
- Foster relationships with a diverse community of donors
- Work within a “donor-Centered” framework, helping to advance a culture of philanthropy throughout the agency
- Working in conjunction with the Director of Development, and external consultants draft and ensure consistent messaging and quality in development and stakeholder communications, including customized Impact Reports and Twitter posts
- Draft customized proposals and communications
- Working in conjunction with the Fund Development Admin Worker schedule Tweets
- Represent Nellie’s at select meetings and events to support fund development initiatives
- Lead and/or participate in public speaking presentations and 1-on-1 stakeholders meetings
- University degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years fundraising experience
- Demonstrated track record in cultivation and solicitation of gifts over $5,000
- Demonstrated ability in proposal writing
- Must possess the ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Public speaking experience to small and midsize groups
- Experience using social media tools (Twitter; Facebook etc.)
- Experience working in a social service organization
- An understanding of working within an Anti-Racism/Anti-Oppression framework
- Demonstrated commitment to working with marginalized women
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge
- Working towards your CFRE an asset
Please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectation to email@example.com by Friday, June 14, 2019.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to obtain a Police Records Check for the vulnerable sector.