At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), formerly Scarborough and Rouge Hospital, the patient experience comes first. With three hospitals (Birchmount, Centenary, and General) and eight satellite sites, SHN provides a broad spectrum of health services to one of the most diverse communities in Canada.
To support SHN’s vision to become Canada’s leading teaching community health network – transforming the patient experience, Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHNF) is about to embark on a $100 million capital campaign and is seeking a dynamic Development Officer to identify, build, and manage productive relationships with low to mid-level major gift donors in order to secure financial support through donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Reporting to the Director, Major Gifts the Development Officer will play a key role in developing and advancing existing donor relationships and encouraging increased giving through the execution of cultivation and stewardship strategies for prospects and donors to SHNF. The Development Officer is responsible for building and strengthening relationships and partnerships with donor prospects to grow the major gifts pipeline. The Development Officer will be a strategic thinker who demonstrates curiosity, a passion for healthcare, and a commitment to best practices in the development profession. This position will also be responsible for special campaigns such as the internal family campaign and the physician referral program.
- Actively participate and engage in a variety of identification/cultivation/solicitation/stewardship activities to develop a rich portfolio of major gift prospects in the $5K to $50K range;
- Develop strategies for identifying potential prospects and growing the donor base;
- Initiate and develop relationships with major gift prospects and donors including, but not limited to individuals, corporations, and foundations;
- Build and maintain a portfolio of 100 or more prospects and continually make measurable moves in identifying, researching, cultivating, and soliciting top prospects;
- Write compelling grant and funding proposals for private foundations;
- Regularly report major gift activity and results against targets to achieve performance metrics of prospects cultivated, calls made, proposals developed, solicitations, gifts closed, and dollars raised;
- Deliver an exceptional donor stewardship experience through tours, newsletters, and hosting meetings, in addition to fulfilling stewardship plans as set forth for major donors.
- Work closely with Director, Major Gifts, Associate Director, Research, and Senior Development Officer to implement strategies for cultivation and solicitation of prospects;
- Develop relationships with individuals across the hospital network ;
- Work collaboratively and positively with colleagues to maximize giving potential of donors to ensure the success of the Gift Planning program and overall team;
- Partner with Foundation colleagues to generate written communication for assigned prospects, including writing and/or editing proposals and various types of correspondence that optimally and creatively present an appealing case for SHN;
- Maintain accurate constituent and call report records in Raiser’s Edge and use the database for reporting on personal and volunteer portfolio.
- A minimum of 5 years of fundraising experience required, preferably in a healthcare setting.
- A proven track record of successful gift solicitation with evidence of substantial fundraising accomplishments.
- Discretion with confidential materials required and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a broad spectrum of people: staff, volunteers, physician leaders.
- Display an exceptional level of professionalism, knowledge, productivity, and high ethical standards.
- Proven ability to be resourceful, opportunistic and entrepreneurial.
- Ability to work independently in a deadline-oriented team environment required and ability to serve as a strong and effective advocate for prospective donors in the community.
- Organized, detailed oriented, with strong follow through;
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Raisers Edge. Experience with Adobe InDesign would be considered an asset;
- Superb communication skills, including written, oral and active listening.
- Ability to work with senior leaders effectively and collaboratively;
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario;
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment;
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding or the mission, vision, and values of Scarborough Health Network;
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends;
- Access to a vehicle and a valid Ontario driver’s license.
- University degree /college diploma in relevant field required.
- Healthcare or not-for-profit experience.
- Major Gift or Campaign experience.
- Experience working with diverse cultures.
- Speak a second language.
SHNF offers a culture that fosters Inclusiveness, Courageousness, Inspiration, and Innovation. We embrace and celebrate our community´s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHNF is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
Please visit our website to apply to this position:
Job Number: J0619-0015