Associate Private Partnerships and Philanthropy Officer (Commensurate as Head of Private Partnerships and Philanthropy, Canada)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Organizational Grade: NOB
Application deadline: 28 June 2019
UNHCR Position Number: 10020835
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 130 countries, protecting over 65 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we’ve been on the ground helping over 50 million people forced to leave their homes, and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You’ll be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who’s not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Associate Private Partnerships & Philanthropy Officer (Commensurate as Head of Private Partnerships & Philanthropy, Canada) will closely work with the Global and Regional Private Sector Partnerships (PSP), Public Information (PI) Units and with the team at the Representation. This position is key for the development of private sector fundraising for UNHCR in Canada.
Reporting directly to the PSP Officer in Canada, the incumbent will lead a team of four colleagues, responsible for developing and deploying fundraising strategies and activities to acquire funds from corporate groups, foundations and High Net-Worth Individuals (HNWI) against an ambitious target. The selected candidate will also play a key role in operationalizing our new five year strategy.
Working with the rest of the Canadian PSP team, the Canadian Branch office and the PSP team at our headquarters, the incumbent will be responsible within the organization for excellence in philanthropy.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved):
- Annual PPH income targets achieved according to agreed budget and plan.
- Annual PPH expenditure budget is under control according to agreed budget.
- Develop and support initiatives with corporations and other private sector donors (foundations and HNWIs), to obtain high value financial support for selected projects and programs, advocate and raise awareness for refugees and other partnership engagement as appropriate.
- Develop compelling proposals and presentations for prospective new partners.
- Manage a personal portfolio of key donors and prospects. Identify and plan each donor relationship by creating a unique and creative approach to meet expectations.
- Work closely with PPH network and key/senior UNHCR staff to develop and lead engagement plans to build relationships with senior corporate leaders and philanthropy networks.
- Maintain detailed records of engagement and plans, using relevant systems to monitor progress in the development of partnerships.
- Plan missions to the field with key PPH partners as part of the stewardship and cultivation plan.
- Engage in the roll out of the global corporate plans and roll out of the PPH strategy.
- Work with the PSP Officer, Senior PSP Officer and PSP HQ to create an achievable high-level vision and overall direction for the team. In conjunction with the PSP Officer, develop corresponding mid and long term plans that aligns with the overall PPH strategy.
- Work on the development of annual and multi-year operational and financial plans that align with the overall strategic plan.
- Manage the team (team of 4) in the clear prioritization of goals and tasks, ensuring activities are aligned with strategy. Ensure return on investment analysis is prepared for every new initiative and that proposals and materials are consistent with brand standards.
- Monitor progress regularly and course correct as needed to ensure targets will be achieved.
- Coach and mentor direct reports so they can grow and serve as capable and confident contributors.
- Create an environment of respect, accountability, motivation and productivity.
- Encourage the team to identify synergies and opportunities with other UNHCR offices/teams ensuring pro-active planning and communication where there is intersection of duties.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in International Relations, Marketing, Communications, Business Administration or a related field. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, with private sector donors particularly in the area of corporations and foundation fundraising techniques.
- Demonstrated record of success in generating significant funding commitments from corporates, foundations and other private sector donors.
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing, reporting and communication materials at appropriate levels for varied partnership development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods, practices and procedures for obtaining information about the giving programs of foundations and private donors.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for projects and to complete them in a timely manner.
- Ability to build effective relationships with prospective corporates or foundation donors, and UNHCR technical teams and fundraising staff remotely.
- Ability to explain complex issues to external donors and present the organization and its diverse operations in an appealing and concise manner.
- Ability to use contact management database and to present and interpret data for monitoring purposes.
- Intermediate computer skills, using Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook), G-Suite (Google products), internet, databases and communications and social media tools.
- Proven skills in writing, presentation and communication.
- Excellent knowledge of English. Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions.
Demonstrated knowledge, understanding appreciation of diversity and social inclusion.Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
- Strong organizational abilities and ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task at an intermediate level with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and planning and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work with confidential information with discretion.
- Experience working with a humanitarian response or international development organization.
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CANTO/PSP/VN/008-Associate PPH Officer” in the subject line. Please also include the following forms with your application:
- Salary will be according to established UN Salary Scales for Canada.
- All applicants for this role (considered National Officer Position) must be Canadian citizens.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All short-listed candidates will be required to complete a written test as part of the recruitment process.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS