Posted On: 2019-06-07
Closing On: 2019-06-28
Employment Type: Full-Time
Title: Assistant Private Sector Partnerships Officer – Marketing and Communications (Commensurate as Head of Marketing and Communications)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Organizational Grade: NOA
Application deadline: 28 June 2019
UNHCR Position Number: 10031001
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 130 countries, protecting over 65 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we’ve been on the ground helping over 50 million people forced to leave their homes, and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We are passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You’ll be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who’s not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Assistant Private Sector Partnership Officer - Marketing and Communications (Commensurate as Head of Marketing and Communications) will work closely with the Global and Regional Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) Units Public Information (PI) Units and with the team at the Representation. This position is key for the development of private sector fundraising for UNHCR in Canada.
Reporting directly to the PSP Officer in Canada, the Assistant PSP Officer - Marketing and Communications will lead activities related to brand awareness, increasing public engagement, shaping and sharing the UNHCR voice in the community and engaging key stakeholders, donors and supporters. With a focus on creating positive affinity and strong experience for anyone who interacts with UNHCR, and presenting a compelling and inspiring voice for the organization, this position will support the creation, enhancement and monitoring of various communications channels, leading to increased resources for programming, building a positive brand reputation and inspiring people to engage with UNHCR. Working with the PSP team and the Branch Office (BO), this individual will play a key role within the organization for excellence in philanthropy and communications.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Increasing brand recognition indexes in Canada (aided and unaided).
- Increasing engagement with new and existing supporters of UNHCR Canada.
- Work with relevant colleagues to develop a communications strategy.
- Create and shape a positive, meaningful and creative external voice and image of UNHCR through various communication channels.
- Set targets for various communications channels, and then monitor, track and report regularly on progress.
- Plan and implement annual communications calendar.
- Identify key audiences and create and distribute relevant content to them.
- Coordinate between all staff to ensure UNHCR voice and brand message is consistent, visible and communicated regularly.
- Manage marketing and media relations, including identification and communication of media opportunities, issuing media releases and staying connected with key media contacts. This role will focus more on media activities not related to the government.
- Identify opportunities for UNHCR to be a voice on key issues and create exposure including community forums and roundtables, and speaking opportunities.
- Develop community partnerships which will support UNHCR’s overall success and align with the Strategic Plan.
- Attend key program events to build relationships with volunteers and participants and to stay connected to program impact.
- Supporting local and global campaigns in collaboration with the PSP teams by developing and deploying public engagement opportunities.
- Capture and develop content from programs which will support storytelling, communications and engagement of key partners and volunteers.
- Work with relevant colleagues to develop local and relevant materials that resonates with the public at large.
- Develop key materials for various audiences as needed (including, but not limited to, pitching media, writing press releases, media briefs, conducting media preparation and interview management, writing media communications strategies, speeches and presentations, messages and working with social media team to amplify; draft intranet features, develop content for presentations; draft bulletins and, templates/ toolkits).
- Perform other duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results):
- Develop the annual Marketing and Communications plan for UNHCR Canada.
- Promote and develop innovation into projects
Qualifications and Experience
• Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Communications, Marketing, Media or Public relations or in a relevant field plus minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted
b. Work experience
• Proven communication and presentation skills.
• Current market knowledge of media in Canada.
• Excellent knowledge of English.
• Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions.
c. Key competencies
• Empowering and Building Trust
• Judgement and Decision Making
• Analytical Thinking
• Technological Awareness
• Planning and Organizing
d. Desirable Qualifications & Competencies
• Understanding of communication principles, content management, digital communication and stakeholder relations and the needs and issues of our target population and the communities UNHCR serves.
• Strong interpersonal, motivational, presentation, networking and communication skills (oral and written) while demonstrating knowledge, understanding appreciation of diversity and social inclusion.
• Website management skills and understanding of web architecture (including understanding of graphic design software).
• Advanced ability to plan, implement and evaluate programs and activities within deadline/resource parameters.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to adapt to change.
• High attention to detail.
• Experience in working in a non-profit environment
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “CANTO/PSP/VN/007-Assistant PSP Officer” in the subject line. Please also include the following completed forms with your application:
• Salary will be according to established UN Salary Scales for Canada.
• All applicants for this role (considered National Officer Position) must be Canadian citizens.
• Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. All short-listed candidates will be required to complete a written test as part of the recruitment process.
WE REGRET WE DO NOT ACCEPT ANY PHONE CALLS