Posted On: 2019-06-12
Closing On: 2019-08-12
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
About Upper Canada College
From its founding in 1829, UCC has been educating the next generation of leaders and innovators, inspiring them to make a positive impact on their world. UCC is in a unique position to provide this to the most promising boys — regardless of where or what background they come from. With a sector-leading commitment to financial assistance and world-class facilities, UCC attracts and supports boys of the highest potential from both Canada and abroad. UCC honours its progressive past by looking forward, embracing a culture of courage and innovation, striving for excellence and advancing the common good.
Located in central Toronto, the College has more than 1,150 students from Senior Kindergarten through Year 12, including 88 boarding students representing 25 countries. With 10,000 alumni in more than 75 countries, the school will celebrate its 200th anniversary in 2029.
Office of Advancement at UCC
UCC’s Office of Advancement enhances the College’s mission by engaging its global community of alumni, parents, students and friends in philanthropic support of its strategic directions and priorities. With an Advancement team of over 18 staff, new leadership, and the learnings from a recently achieved $100M campaign, UCC is poised to mark its bicentennial with several significant initiatives that will fulfill its aspiration to be a global leader in the education of boys.
UCC is a collaborative and supportive environment that encourages staff development and education.
Vision, Mission, Values
Vision - UCC values each boy and inspires him to be his best self. A UCC experience reflects the pluralism and promise of Canada and identifies the College as a global leader in the education of boys. Mission - UCC provides transformational learning experiences that foster the development of head, heart and humanity, and inspire each boy to make a lasting and positive impact on his world. Values - UCC's values build on our rich history and traditions and serve to inform how we interact with each other and with our world. At UCC we value: learning, pluralism, service, community, and wellbeing.
Joining the Advancement team gives major gift fundraisers the opportunity be on the ground floor for UCC’s upcoming campaign, to work on a wide range of gift sizes and to be part of a collegial and supportive working environment. Fundraising priorities include financial assistance and programs that will be aimed at benefiting UCC’s community at large.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-Principal, Advancement, the Senior Manager, Major Gifts identifies and engages potential leadership donors, to develop cultivation and solicitation plans for priority prospects and to manage each of them through the major giving process.
Major Gift Solicitation & Stewardship
- Develop positive and meaningful relationships with donors, identifying opportunities for engagement.
- Actively engage with donor list on an ongoing and consistent basis in- person, on the phone, at school events.
- Identify ways to recognize and steward donors for their contributions.
Planning and pipeline development
- Develop a pipeline of potential donors, including identifying and researching prospects, preparing proposals, and planning, scheduling and conducting solicitation meetings.
- Plan and coordinate events related to the fundraising initiatives.
Management and tracking
- Assess current donor strategies and develop new elements and revisions to attract new donors and to upgrade current donor giving.
- In collaboration with database management colleagues, ensure integrity and security of donor database.
- Develop and produce various campaign and related reports for analysis.
- Provide support to the leadership team, staff and volunteers in conducting fundraising activities, including in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual donors.
- Support, track and report on the contributions of volunteers.
The selected candidate has a high degree of IQ and EQ. They are passionate about major gift fundraising and will never hesitate to make a connection or attend an event. In addition, they are polished and well spoken, highly resilient and persistently optimistic. Being achievement oriented shows up when they meet their metrics and performance objectives.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a major gift fundraiser who loves to be part of a tight knit community who are passionate about education. Whether someone at the beginning of their career or a more seasoned veteran, what they have in common is their love of fundraising. At a minimum, the ideal candidate will have 3 to 5 years of experience closing gifts with donors, regardless of the amount but ideally at the six figure and above. Their motivation is less about gift size and more about their ability to make a connection and build capacity for the school and community. While always focused on results and achievements, the right fit for UCC is someone who is a team player who respects and values the skills and abilities of those around them.
- Ability to identify, research and assess potential opportunity of prospects.
- Ability to identify donor stewardship requirements and make corresponding recommendations.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with school/college leadership, staff and volunteers in the identification of potential donor constituencies, and in the planning of fundraising initiatives and events.
- Demonstratable track record closing gifts and meeting targets.
- Ability to engage with donors and potential donors in individual meetings and at larger school events.
- Comfort with public speaking and being a public face of UCC.
- Completion of a recognized university degree or equivalent.
Candidates must be able to travel in Canada and Abroad.
How To Apply
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. To apply, please submit, in confidence, a resume along with cover letter which sets out your interest in the role and highlights the experience you have relevant to the role. The preferred method of application is online at searchsmartconnect.com/jobs