Posted On: 2019-06-14
Closing On: 2019-07-14
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Director, Major Gifts
The Movember Foundation is the leading charity dedicated to changing the face of men’s health around the world. With a singular goal to stop men dying too young, the Foundation supports the following causes: prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. Since 2003, the support of more than 5 million participants has funded over 1,200 innovative projects across more than 21 countries.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do:
- Fun; We have fun doing good
- Respect; We are caring & inclusive
- Humble; We should never forget why we are here
- Team Movember; We enable every person to be their best
- Remarkable Experience; We create remarkable experiences for our people & community
- Change Agent; We must think & act differently to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health
This key fundraising leadership role is responsible for securing funds for Movember Foundation by managing a group of assigned, qualified donors capable of making annual gifts of ($25k) or more, while assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement over time.
Reporting to the Country Director Canada, this role will drive revenue growth in a manner that is consistent with our values, supports our image as a disruptive charity brand and creates remarkable experiences for our entire community of stakeholders. The Director, Major Gifts will work closely with fundraising colleagues and other team members across the organization to build out a successful major gifts fundraising program to support Movember Foundation’s mission to improve health outcomes for men in the areas of prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health and suicide prevention.
- Responsible for the development and execution of the annual major gifts strategy
- Will identify and qualify a portfolio of major gift prospects (125-150) and identify goals for each prospect based on prospect research, past giving history and advice from stakeholders to determine giving potential
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward a pipeline of highest value major gift prospects
- Create a plan for each prospect and donor to serve as a foundational communication and cultivation strategy and execute that plan to ensure donors are secured, retained and upgraded
- Work closely with Movember programs and marketing/communications departments to access appropriate program priorities information to present to prospects including budgets, potential outcomes, offers and proposals to secure major gifts
- Create monthly reports that accurately reflect major gifts program progress and performance
- In conjunction with Country Director and global colleagues, support the development of a long-term strategy for a sophisticated major gifts program
- As success dictates, lead and develop an engaged major gifts team to deliver against ambitious fundraising targets
- Develop and implement best-practices for major gift donor stewardship to ensure growth and frequency of giving
- A minimum of 7-10 years of successful experience in major gifts fundraising/revenue development securing gifts from individuals and foundations/trusts
- Educated to bachelor’s degree level or equivalent experience
- Exceptionally high level of written & oral communication/presentation skills
- Exceptional relationship building skills having worked with a wide range of donors and funding decision makers and a genuine interest for helping donors fulfil their passions and interests through their giving/philanthropy
- Track record of personally negotiating and management of high value donor relationships securing significant donations ($100k or more) and managed a sizable portfolio of prospects from influential and wealthy people and/or, companies and/or foundations/trusts
- Proven leader and motivator of people and a commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise with people at all levels of an organization
- Highly developed organizational skills, the capacity to successfully manage several programs concurrently with competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Flexibility to handle last minute issues and projects that are not always within official scope of work
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and CRM databases to facilitate fundraising success
- Ability to conceptualize, design, and build presentations
- Ability to occasionally travel and undertake overnight stays
- Previous experience successfully supervising employees and/or volunteers
- Demonstrated knowledge of current healthcare landscape as they pertain to the Movember Foundation’s programmatic focus (men’s health) is an asset
- CFRE is an asset
To apply for this role:
Please submit a resume and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that addresses the following questions:
1. Why do your skills and expertise make you a good match for this role?
2. What Movember value best resonates with you?
It is important to Movember that all its employees, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.