Posted On: 2019-06-19
Closing On: 2019-07-15
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you motivated by the opportunity to be part of a movement to create a new kind of health care in Mississauga, Peel Region and West Toronto? Have you demonstrated success as a major gift fundraiser? Are you eager to join a dynamic, growing team who is passionate about creating a work environment that is inspiring, productive and fun? If so, please read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity at Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF).
Trillium Health Partners (THP) is one of the largest community-based hospital systems in Canada. Comprised of the Credit Valley Hospital, the Mississauga Hospital and the Queensway Health Centre, Trillium Health Partners serves the growing and diverse populations of Mississauga, West Toronto and surrounding communities and is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto. Over the past year, THP received over 1.7 million patient visits and volumes continue to grow. Over the next 20 years, no hospital in Ontario will require more services or beds.
Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF) raises the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners. THPF is a team of 35 professionals that strategically drives success as one of the highest performing hospital foundations in the country. Having raised more than $38 million last year, our organization is positioned for growth, and is in the planning stages of a large-scale comprehensive campaign. This will be our community’s largest hospital build and health care fundraising campaign.
Join our team and help us inspire investment in a new kind of health care for a healthier community!
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The Director, Philanthropy will build and manage a major gift portfolio as well as lead, mentor, and motivate our high-performance major gifts team as they achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a results orientated fundraiser with a proven track record of delivering results and commitment to excellence.
- Be equally capable of cultivating and closing gifts autonomously, with a team member, or in concert with a volunteer or hospital leader.
- Be comfortable identifying prospective donors and cold calling.
- Have sophisticated relationship-development abilities to work at the highest levels of Foundation, Hospital, and community leadership.
- Thrive in ambiguity, but bring rigor and structure to the team.
- Provide strong “team-first” coaching and mentoring to the team appropriately to develop and support individual and team goals, skill and confidence building and career progression.
- Be a collaborator, with a genuine interest in the opinions of others, and curiosity about donor motivations.
Have proven story-telling success, including the ability to effectively develop the ask.
- Have the ability to connect the dots between the need and the donor’s interests and objectives.
- Be energized working in a fast paced environment, managing multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Have strong business acumen and issue resolution skills with the ability to deal with situations in an open, objective and flexible manner.
Reporting to the Vice President, Philanthropy and leading a team comprised of a Manager, Senior Development Officer and two Development Officers. The Director, Philanthropy will focus on growth, donor engagement, and fundraising performance. This role holds a large degree of accountability for campaign fundraising for the strategic priorities of THP. Identifying support from individuals, corporations, and community groups, the successful Director will grow the pipeline and secure support from a variety of newly engaged donors.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100 to 125 major gift donors with the capacity to make a gift of $250,000+ toward a personal goal and team goal.
- Develop donor strategies designed to engage and inspire donors toward meaningful and impactful gift commitments.
- Complete donor calls and visits to identify, cultivate, solicit, steward and provide ongoing relationship management to donors.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in third party community events, signature events planned giving, direct mail and monthly giving to advance donor relationships.
- Develop, lead, and implement annual and multi-year plans and strategies to achieve transformational growth.
Building the Prospective Donor Pipeline
- Actively seek out new prospects interested in advancing the mission and success of THP.
- Play a key role in working with volunteers, colleagues (Hospital and Foundation) and researchers to identify individual donor prospects; develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for those donor prospects.
- Provide exemplary leadership, direction, and mentorship to a team of fundraising professionals, in order to increase the impact and effectiveness of staff in advancing the campaign.
At THPF, we care passionately about fulfilling the needs of our Hospital and our community. To achieve this objective, our team is committed to embodying the values of our team-created “ICARE” philosophy: inspiration, courage, accountability, respect, and excellence. The selected candidate must be eager and able to contribute to advancing this organizational culture.
- Oversee recruitment, retention, development, and performance of the team.
8-10 years of major gift experience in a sophisticated philanthropic institution, ideally within a health care system.
Demonstrated experience cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation gifts at the $250K - $1M+ level.
Demonstrated experience and success managing, motivating, and mentoring development professionals bringing out the best in teams and individuals.
- Inspired and passionate about health care and the critical role philanthropy plays in advancing this sector.
- A positive attitude for self and team: anything can be solved; anything can be accomplished.
- A belief that opportunity can always be found in facing problems.
- The highest of personal and corporate standards – ‘good enough’ is never enough.
An engaging personal style and a sincere interest in people.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual, corporations and other donors in order to develop mutually beneficial relationships with the Hospital and Foundation.
Maturity, tact and diplomacy; excellent judgment and discretion; political astuteness.
A reputation for integrity, and the capacity to build trust and to establish lasting relationships.
Ability to navigate and be effective within a complex matrix organization that values collaboration and teamwork.
Ability to think collaboratively and plan strategically as part of a team.
Comfort working in a high energy, fast paced and results-oriented environment with a focus on results.
- Work may take place across the multiple sites of Trillium Health Partners and Trillium Health Partners Foundation.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
Valid driver’s license and assess to a vehicle is required.
Learning Accomplishments/Fundraising Skills
University or College degree.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation or working toward is considered an asset.
- Comprehension of donor management systems (Raiser’s Edge or RENXT).
Please submit your cover letter and résumé to:or for further information on Trillium Health Partners Foundation we invite you to visit our website at www.trilliumgiving.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will becontacted.
Interviews may be scheduled in advance of the closing date for applications received early.