Posted On: 2019-06-21
Closing On: 2019-07-21
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior Development Manager – Ontario Veterinary College (OVC)
Join a high-performing team of passionate fundraising professionals at the University of Guelph.
The Department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) advances the mission of the University of Guelph by raising private support and building relationships with a broad range of stakeholders – from alumni and friends, to corporations and foundations.
With these goals in mind, we are seeking a new Senior Development Manager to join us as we improve the health and well-being of animals, people and the environment at the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC). A founding college of the University of Guelph, OVC is currently ranked first in Canada, seventh worldwide and fourth in North America for veterinary science by Quacquarelli Symonds.
As a vital member of the AA&D team, you will epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation and forward focus, while drawing on your expertise as a major gift fundraising professional in support of OVC.
Reporting to the Director, Advancement (OVC), and working closely with the Dean (OVC) and the Major Gift Advancement team, you will be responsible for major gift fundraising (contributions of $25,000 or greater) for OVC. As Senior Development Manager, you will be expected to personally generate a minimum of $1 million in new major gifts and pledges annually, and work to advance OVC’s priorities with the target external audiences, through donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. More specifically, you will be accountable for:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle.
- Maintaining a robust pipeline of 80-100 donors and prospects, and undertaking 10-12 face-to-face meetings/month with donors and prospects.
- Preparing briefing materials to support Senior Administration (President, VPs, AVPs) fundraising activity.
- Collaborating with the Dean (OVC), the Director, Advancement (OVC) and other internal partners to identify University priorities (e.g. scholarships, faculty support, capital projects) that will resonate with donors.
- Creating and presenting materials to advance fundraising asks, such as generic cases for support to more customized proposals.
- Negotiating the closure of major gifts, including the creation of gift agreements and other supporting documentation.
- Managing senior volunteers to support the College’s fundraising initiatives, including recruiting, training, supporting and recognizing top volunteers.
A gifted, persuasive communicator, you will undertake complex planned giving discussions with donors, friends and alumni, to promote planned giving as a means to achieve OVC’s fundraising priorities and create a legacy for donors on campus. As such, you will actively develop the OVC planned giving pipeline, in partnership with the Director and the University’s Gift Planning Manager.
To assume the role of Senior Development Manager – Ontario Veterinary College, you must be a self-motivated fundraiser and a skilled, effective relationship builder with:
- An undergraduate degree, with preference given to demonstrated commitment to professional development, a graduate degree, a relevant diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ fundraising experience, with a proven track record of success in securing major gifts.
- The ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment.
- A proven ability to interact effectively with senior executives in the corporate community.
- Experience in managing large and complex fundraising projects, especially major, multi-year capital campaigns.
- Superior written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Experience in managing senior volunteers.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases and/or CRM systems.
- A passion for animal welfare and/or a background in animal, medical or healthcare charities.
- A Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Senior Development Manager (Ontario Veterinary College), please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2019-0345, must be sent to: email@example.com.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.