True Patriot Love Foundation is Canada’s leading charity supporting those who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans and their families. Established in 2009 during the war in Afghanistan, it has since distributed over $25 million to fund more than 750 programs that support mental health, physical rehabilitation, transition to life after service and the unique needs of children and families. The foundation also actively helps to ensure the needs of those who serve remain in the minds of the public through high profile expeditions and events. This includes helping to secure the bid for the 2017 Invictus Games in Toronto. As a result of the Foundation’s incredible work over the past decade, more than 25,000 military and Veteran families have been helped.
True Patriot Love Foundation has ambitious plans to grow and strengthen its impact across the nation, including implementing its first ever national fundraising campaign. The organization is therefore seeking an experienced and talented fundraising professional as Chief Development Officer (CDO) to lead these efforts.
This is an exciting time to join True Patriot Love, an organization rooted in high impact community support and powered by deep relationships with donors. The CDO will partner with CEO Nick Booth, an inspiring and highly accomplished fundraising professional, in leading a most respected foundation supporting Service personnel, Veterans and families in Canada.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the CDO will oversee all fundraising activities across Canada for True Patriot Love, working closely with senior volunteers, staff colleagues and donors. The CDO will develop and deliver annual revenue goals and lead a range of income streams including an enhanced approach to individual giving. The incumbent will also lead a small staff team of three (currently). Key to success will be the ability to build effective long-term relationships with donors and supporters, secure significant personal and corporate support, and implement a world class stewardship program.
ABOUT TRUE PATRIOT LOVE
On occasions like Remembrance Day, Canadians come together to honour the contributions and sacrifices of the many brave men and women who have served our country. But, often, as the poppies begin to disappear, so does the attention to the mental and physical wounds many who serve endure.
Many are dealing with a society that is ill-equipped to support them – a society that will never truly understand the stress of service, the atrocities of a war zone, nor the long-lasting impact on their families.
In 2008, when Canadian soldiers were returning home from Afghanistan, and the impact of war was weighing heavily on them and their families, Canada’s Chief of Defence Staff challenged a group of Toronto-based philanthropists to raise money to support them. The following year, the inaugural Tribute Gala brought 2,000 Canadians together, raising $2 million in one evening. This proved that Canadians are proud of our military, and are seeking ways, beyond wearing the poppy on Remembrance Day, to express their support. The True Patriot Love organization was born.
There’s evidence to show that military and Veteran families need our help, and the statistics are staggering. Each year, 9,000 to 10,000 Canadian Armed Forces members are released from military service. A third of them indicate they have difficulty transitioning to civilian life, and the effects of transition are even more amplified for those who are released due to a service-related injury. Mentally wounded Veterans are at an elevated risk of suicide, particularly within the first two years after release. Tragically, 40% of male Veterans who die before the age of 25 lost their lives to suicide, making them 2.4 times more likely to take their own life than their comparable population.
Families are deeply impacted too, and they often pay a steep price for their loved ones’ military service. For example, due to frequent moves, military families are up to 7 times less likely to have a family physician or pediatrician, and military children experience mental health issues at more than double the rate of civilian children.
Since 2012, True Patriot Love has produced ambitious fundraising expeditions around the world engaging Canadian Armed Forces members/Veterans and civilians.
Civilians are business and community leaders from across Canada who raise funds to help True Patriot Love fulfil its mission of supporting military and Veteran Families. Military expeditioners are currently serving members or Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces who have sustained a service-related illness or injury.
Our expeditions also provide a meaningful mentorship opportunity and shed light on the challenges of transition and the stigma of mental illness. Business leaders offer one-on-one support to military participants as they transition to civilian careers, and civilian business leaders learn from the valuable experiences and skills of our military and Veteran participants for a mutually beneficial mentorship experience.
These expeditions have collectively raised over $9 million for military and Veteran families. Funds raised have allowed for enhanced job training and recruitment, provided 144 Veterans with rapid job placement, helped to fund more than 9,800 hours of peer-to-peer mental health counselling, and allowed for a $500,000 investment to create a virtual reality therapy program for Veterans living with PTSD which has been implemented across the country.
True Patriot Love Annual Tribute Gala
The True Patriot Love Annual Tribute Gala is our signature fundraising event and Canada’s largest celebration in support of military members, Veterans and their families. The event brings together influential business and community leaders, distinguished military representatives and dignitaries to pay tribute to the military community and honour the sacrifices they have made for our nation.
Our first Tribute Gala took place more than 10 years ago and has since become our key fundraising event each year, with nearly $20 million raised over the past decade for military and Veteran families in need.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished development leader with a growth mindset and strong capacity for building cohesive strategies, balanced with a commitment to execute. Collaborative and inclusive, the Chief Development Officer will rally the team towards common goals having the bravery to take risks and innovate. As a champion for True Patriot Love and the Canadian military community, the new incumbent will continually look to raise sights for the organization and build positive brand awareness.
The successful candidate will bring deep experience in major gift fundraising program development and implement gold standard donor stewardship practices while providing expertise and support to the broad scope of fundraising programs. The new incumbent will leverage existing partnerships and relationships, identify new ones, capitalize on opportunities as they arise and will work with colleagues to thoughtfully develop donor opportunities that align with organizational priorities.
The ideal candidate will have proven success personally securing gifts from individuals and corporations at the six-figure level and above, and strong experience coaching and engaging influential senior volunteers and board members in major gift prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
The Chief Development Officer will be a strong coach and mentor who will guide, teach, and support a skilled and empowered staff team helping them to develop and best apply their respective skills. A proactive communicator, the new incumbent will provide clear expectations, hold others to account, and will lead by example in a driven, business-minded, and creative culture. Adaptive to change and growth, the new incumbent will be comfortable with ambiguity and will thrive in a fast-paced environment.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- In conjunction with the CEO, Board and colleagues, deliver annual fundraising goals for the organization based both on a realistic understanding of likely sources of support as well as a desire to optimize the impact of the organization in providing help to those who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces.
- Identify potential sources of support, both existing and new, and create effective plans for engaging and cultivating donors and supporters.
- Act as a senior solicitor and personal relationship manager for individual donors giving at the five and six-figure level and above.
- Work with senior fundraising volunteers in identifying prospects, developing plans for cultivation and solicitation, and supporting high level personal asks.
- Work with colleagues to identify priorities for funding and develop effective proposals, highlighting the potential impact of a donor’s support in providing help to those who serve and their families.
- In partnership with the Marketing and Communications team, create and implement effective plans for the stewardship and retention of True Patriot Love supporters. This includes understanding the needs and preferences of supporters, highlighting the impact of our work, and communicating effective messages in a timely and persuasive manner to deepen and strengthen relationships.
- Work with the CEO in developing plans for the proposed comprehensive campaign including supporting senior volunteer leaders, contributing to and helping implement campaign strategy and plans, and integrating campaign fundraising with other development activities across the organization in a seamless manner.
- Manage, coach and mentor a small team of fundraisers, motivating them to achieve individual and team goals while building strong donor relationships.
- Conduct annual goal setting and performance appraisals through regular and effective management support and oversight.
- As part of the senior management team, provide organizational leadership, advice, guidance and support to colleagues and the CEO, always ensuring strong internal communication.
- Ensure the effective recording, storage and retrieval of information as it relates to the fundraising operation, using the current database system and making recommendations for development or improvements as required.
- Provide regular reports to the CEO, management team, Board and other stakeholders as required, indicating progress, forecasting outcomes and highlighting issues.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- A strong commitment to the goals of the organization. While experience with the military is not required, a passion to provide the very best care and support to those in the Canadian Armed Forces, Veterans, and their families is essential.
- Significant fundraising and leadership experience with demonstrated success in diverse fundraising program areas including: Major Gifts & Campaigns, Sponsorships, Annual Giving, Gift Planning, Stewardship, Donor Communications & Events.
- Strong track record in delivering fundraising results including securing gifts and partnerships at the six figure level and above.
- Well-developed team leadership and management skills including experience in goal setting, motivating, leading, evaluating and developing a capable team of professionals.
- Professional and polished with proven ability to motivate, support, and develop strong relationships with senior business leaders and volunteers.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and apply strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey organizational priorities and programs with passion.
- A collaborative team player with a willingness to do what it takes to deliver successful outcomes.
- Solid knowledge of fundraising databases and their application. Experience with Salesforce would be an asset.
- As True Patriot Love is a national organization based in downtown Toronto, this role will require travel within Canada, and occasionally abroad with some evening and weekend work.
- Possess a University degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A CFRE designation is considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of True Patriot Love Foundation. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Senior Search Consultant at TPL@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: https://kciphilanthropy.com/kci-talent/
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address above by August 5, 2019
True Patriot Love welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.