Amici Camping Charity
Development Officer, Fundraising and Events
Status: Full-time permanent
Reports to: Manager, Fund Development and Communications
The opportunity: If you are looking to change young lives, Amici (“A-MEE-Key”) offers an opportunity to make your mark by joining the team as Development Officer, Fundraising and Events. Amici Camping Charity (Amici) is guided by a mission to give children and youth in financial need the chance to discover their full potential through summer camp. Amici’s mission is supported by generous donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations. Amici is a dynamic place to work with an engaged Board of Directors, enthusiastic staff and dedicated volunteers ready to help where they can to impact the lives of appreciative campers and families.
The Organization: Established in 1966 as a non-profit charity, Amici changes young lives by sending deserving kids to 44 Ontario Camps Association accredited partner summer camps – for as many years as the camper wants to return. In 2019, Amici partner camps, supporters and volunteers will send over 300 kids to camp, for a total of 630+ weeks of programming. Amici has a strong track record of collaboration and creating life-changing experiences through the power of summer camp. To learn more, please visit: www.amicicharity.org.
Position Profile: The Development Officer, Fundraising and Events will be part of a small team working under the direction of the Manager, Fund Development and Communications (Manager). The Development Officer will support the development, delivery and progress of Amici’s fundraising programs (Individual, Corporate and Foundation Giving). In addition to building relationships and soliciting and stewarding gifts, the incumbent will also advance Amici’s mission in the areas of community and special events. The position works collaboratively with Amici’s leadership, donors and volunteers.
You are the ideal candidate for our team if:
- You are ready to be part of a dynamic team and can both adapt and contribute to an organization in rapid growth mode.
- You are creative, strategic, curious and have a good sense of humour, high energy level and a demonstrated passion for summer camp.
- You are able to communicate effectively, empathetically and tactfully with a variety of individuals in person, by email and over the phone.
- You have well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- You work effectively as a member of a small team and are willing to pitch in and carry out all levels of task at hand.
- You are up for the task of building upon and enhancing new and existing programs.
- You take your work seriously, but not yourself.
In collaboration with the Manager, Fund Development and Communications, the Development Officer facilitates the preparation, implementation and management of a comprehensive development strategy including individual, corporate and foundation giving and special event fundraising. Key responsibilities include:
Individual and Monthly Giving
- Manage the day-to-day activities for and ongoing growth of Amici’s Endless Summer Monthly Giving Program.
- Contribute to Amici’s annual programs including the Leadership League and Ambassadors Council, by prospecting, soliciting and stewarding individual donors, as assigned.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of Amici’s semi-annual direct response program through traditional direct mail and online/e-commerce efforts to meet the program’s net revenue performance goals.
Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Facilitate Amici’s Foundation Giving portfolio, including the preparation and delivery of prospect research, application submission, tracking and post-grant reporting.
- Contribute to the effective solicitation of corporate prospects for philanthropic support in collaboration with the fundraising team and volunteer leadership.
- In coordination with the fundraising team and volunteer leadership, facilitate plans for securing corporate sponsorships (Canoe Heads for Kids).
Community and Special Events
- Lead the planning and execution of Amici’s annual signature event, Canoe Heads for Kids.
- Manage all other special events as required - i.e. Community Events and assist in the development of strategies that will lead to increased revenues.
- Attend all community and special events to oversee activities and ensure logistics are handled as arranged.
- Contribute to the logistics and planning of events put on by Amici’s Young Professionals’ Council (YPC).
- Execute Amici’s communications plan and update accordingly, in collaboration with the Manager.
- Plan and execute Amici’s annual communications calendar, including Amici’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- In collaboration with the Manager, write content for Amici’s website, e-communications, annual report and digital appeals.
- Ensure communications and activities support Amici’s strategy and are consistent with its vision, mission and brand.
Donor & Prospect Relations
- In collaboration with the Manager, identify and profile new giving prospects on a rolling basis.
- Maintain relationships as assigned with individuals and representatives from partner camps, corporations and foundations through the planning of an efficient, effective and donor-centered stewardship program as assigned.
- Implement stewardship and recognition strategies ensuring all donors receive correspondence, reports and updates in a timely manner for all fundraising programs.
- Recommend ongoing policy and process improvements to deliver a high-impact program and meet Amici’s strategic objectives.
- Support office administration as needed in areas of gift processing, tax receipting, data management, mailings, receiving general phone calls, etc.
- Perform other general administrative duties, as assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities to be determined from time to time, as discussed in advance with the Manager, Fund Development and Communications.
- 2+ years of fundraising, sales and/or marketing experience with a track record of success.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Event planning experience an asset.
- Familiarity with GiftWorks, Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database.
- Proficient using Google Suite (Docs, Spreadsheets, Drive), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Ability to be resourceful, flexible and successful in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills. Evidence of initiative, adaptability, sound judgement, tact, diplomacy, strong sense of ownership, collaboration, attention to detail and creativity.
- Ability to support event execution, some lifting and carrying to and from events is required.
- An understanding and passion for the power of summer camp!
- Understanding of CRA tax receipting rules and guidelines is an asset.
- The position involves some evening and weekend commitments, including but not limited to, Canoe Heads for Kids lead up activities and event day, YPC and special events.
Compensation: Amici Camping Charity offers competitive compensation and benefits.
To Apply: Please forward a resume and cover letter with salary expectations in confidence, subject line: “Development Officer, Fundraising and Events” to email@example.com.
All applications must be received by 5pm on Friday, July 12, 2019. Early submission is encouraged, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for applying, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Amici Camping Charity is committed to employment equity and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. All responses will be handled in confidence.