A Career Opportunity
UNICEF is the world’s farthest-reaching humanitarian organization for children. Across 190 countries and territories, and in the world’s toughest places, we work day in and day out to help children survive. To defend their rights. To keep them protected, healthy and educated. To give them a fair chance to fulfil their potential. Our work for every child relies entirely on voluntary support, including donations from generous Canadians.
Senior Development Officer (Community) (Permanent; Full-time; based in Toronto)
The Senior Development Officer (Community) works within the Community Engagement team and will focus on driving new business strategy growth within the community sector to meet the fiscal revenue goals in a manner consistent with UNICEF Canada’s mission and vision.
This role will lead the relationships with high-valued member-based organizations, schools, service organizations and community event organizers. The primary focus of the role will be on new revenue generation through the development of new partnerships and/or building on existing relationships, with an annual personal fundraising target of $800,000.
The responsibilities of the position will include (but not limited to):
Revenue Generation (60%)
- Lead the community prospect pipeline development to support the cultivation and solicitation strategy for new community supporters across Canada.
- Initiate and secure mutually beneficial community partnerships focusing on partnerships with a minimum value of $10,000 annually.
- Support the development and execution of member-based cultivation strategy with a focus on faith-based organizations and diaspora groups.
- Research and attend appropriate networking events and conferences to generate new leads.
- Lead the activation and execution of UNICEF’s Halloween program.
- Support and steward Community Event donors based on the Community Engagement stewardship matrix.
- Coordinate fundraising activities, maintain and steward existing groups within the Community Engagement portfolio.
- Support fundraising activities including tracking of fundraising results for auditing purposes, maintain orientation, training and support resources to assist donors with the digital fundraising platforms, and donor impact reporting.
- Represent UNICEF at community-based fundraising events as required and engage community stakeholders to support UNICEF’s mission.
Program Management (25%)
- Support the development and execution of solicitation and activation plans for Community Engagement campaigns including content and collateral development, communication plans, PR and logistics, as necessary.
- In collaboration with the Integrated Fundraising team, lead the development of the Community donor stewardship and engagement journey.
- Develop and implement strong cultivation and stewardship tools/approaches to ensure partners are engaged with UNICEF on an on-going basis.
- Respond with urgency in support of UNICEF Canada emergency response activity and actively seek opportunities to involve current and prospective community partners in new initiatives.
- As required, provide support for additional development activities determined organizational priorities.
Operational and People Management (15%)
- Recruit and manage interns for solicitation, donor engagement and administrative support.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of annual operating plans, collaborating with the Director on annual budgets and program review, ensuring that fundraising activities align with operational requirements.
- Track all fundraising activity using Raiser’s Edge.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A post-secondary degree or diploma with a focus in fundraising, sales or other applicable disciplines.
- A minimum of three (3) plus years relevant work experience in fundraising, Community fundraising/events or sales.
- The ability to work in a fast paced environment, prioritize and multi-task, while being organized and detail-oriented.
- Proven experience working with stakeholders at all levels, demonstrates strong customer service skills; sound judgement and risk management.
- The ability to analyze and assess new initiatives or enhance existing programs.
- Strong relationship management skills in order to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers; creativity in cultivation and stewardship approaches.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills, including public speaking.
- Demonstrated success in managing and co-ordinating events and engagement activities.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office).
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or relational databases (an asset).
- French language skills (an asset).
Salary range: $52,000 to $60,000 per year.
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 14, 2019. Please attach your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume as one document and reference “Senior Development Officer (Community)” clearly in the subject heading.
UNICEF Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Consistent with our Child Protection Policy, the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
UNICEF Canada is an inclusive workplace and is committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the requirements for the position.