Organization: Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation
Title: Director of Talent and Volunteer Management
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: 190 Elizabeth Street, Toronto
Is this you?
You are known by your peers as the Culture Champion. You contribute positively to your work environment and are a natural at improving processes and the employee experience.
You have experience and a successful track record in creating a work environment that is inspiring, productive and fun and your peers describe you as adaptable, humble, hardworking, entrepreneurially minded and intelligent. You consider yourself a catalyst for change who values collaboration.
Are you a leader who really gets the importance of organizational culture? Who is skilled at facilitating dialog across all levels of an organization? Are you comfortable operating at both the inter-personal and systems levels? Are you well-read on various HR frameworks and are you a lifelong learner?
Senior volunteers have found an ally in you. You are a natural conduit to this group of stakeholders You can manage expectations with ease and enjoy the details – sending meeting minutes and follow ups aren’t a burden or ‘beneath you’. You excel in creative problem solving and process development. You are a tactical thinker and can help drive strategy through new ideas and thinking big?
You are respected by team members and viewed as a trusted advisor. Words your current and past leaders would use to describe you are mature, reliable, passionate, proven, tactful, poised and efficient.
If this sounds like you, and if working for one of the leading healthcare foundations in the country to cultivate an environment which encourages staff to achieve goals while supporting their professional development please keep reading!
About Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals, as well as the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. Together with its donors, the Foundation is helping world-leading health experts pursue the knowledge that makes all our lives better. Learn more: tgwhf.ca.
About University Health Network
University Health Network (UHN) includes Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN has made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. It has the largest hospital-based research program in Canada, with major research in cardiology, transplantation, neurosciences, oncology, surgical innovation, infectious diseases, genomic medicine and rehabilitation medicine. UHN is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto. Learn more: uhn.ca.
Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation is in year one of a strategic plan (2019-2024) which will continue to build on their mission of raising much needed funds by developing and sustaining strong relationships.
The Foundation headcount is soon to reach 100 and culture, talent management, internal communications, employee experience and senior volunteer management are becoming more pressing needs. In this newly created role, The Director of Talent and Volunteer Management will report directly to the CEO of the Foundation.
A partnership exists between The Hospital and The Foundation as it relates to Human Resources. For instance, the payroll and benefits are managed by the Hospital. The successful candidate will have direct oversight to the unique needs of the Foundation as it relates to HR, which for example include performance reviews of Foundation employees. Our candidate will be well-versed in HR policies and procedures and will act as a trusted advisor and internal consultant to Foundation employees.
The Director of Talent and Volunteer Management will work with the CEO to develop an internal employee communications program to ensure important Foundation news and announcements are shared in a timely and efficient manner. The communications efforts will directly contribute to building on the employee experience the Foundation seeks to foster; a culture that is built on excellence, integrity, accountability, collaboration and donor-centric actions. Staff retention and engagement is a goal of the Foundation and the successful candidate will actively contribute toward this goal by ensuring HR practices are best in class and there is a true path for career advancement.
The successful candidate will play a key role in new hire onboarding and will identify professional development opportunities, including rewards and incentive programs to increase retention and to promote a positive employee brand in the industry and community at large.
The successful candidate will also play a role in managing the energies of the Foundation’s senior volunteers. The board consists of 36 members, all with unique strengths, expertise and networks. The board is very engaged, and the trilateral relationship of the board, Hospital and Foundation represents Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation’s strongest asset. Currently, communications to the board come through multiple channels. It will be the responsibility of the successful candidate to streamline these communications to ensure efficiency of the messaging.
The Director of Talent and Volunteer Management will manage any board retreats/offsites and will be present at all board meetings and will be responsible for all follow up. They will become a known face and trusted ally to senior volunteers and will be a partner to the campaign philanthropy leads who have established relationships with their volunteers.
In addition to managing the existing board, The Director of Talent and Volunteer Management will work with the CEO on recruitment and retention strategies for the board as the Foundation wants to attract the right volunteers with the right talent and motivations.
The successful Candidate will be accountable for the following:
- Act as a liaison between UHN central services HR department and the HR needs of the Foundation
- Possess HR knowledge as it relates to best practices and be an advocate for the Foundation employee’s
- Ensure HR practices are in place that clarify accountability for roles and responsibilities, ensure job descriptions are current and not duplicated
- Be familiar with the HOOPP pension and other hospital industry specific benefits
- Develop an ongoing communications strategy for employees to ensure they’re well informed of Foundation news and latest developments as well as any changes to policies and practices – including sharing the good news!
EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT AND ONBOARDING
- Develop, implement and oversee effective strategies to retain Foundation staff
- Oversee the onboarding program’s development and execution
- Manage the rewards/incentives program for the Foundation where appropriate
- Develop the organizational development and learning program(s) where appropriate
- Create a positive exit strategy – specifically one that includes exit interviews to ensure a positive brand in this competitive marketplace
- Manage the CEO’s office with respect to board planning
- Assist with monitoring sufficient diversity, experience and expertise on the board and represents the communities that are served by UHN
- Responsible for monthly updates and sending personal invites to Board for tours and lectures and other appropriate events
- Manage presentation schedules and logistics to ensure smooth and seamless execution at board meetings
- Assist in ongoing connection with board members and ensure all needs are met
- Be to “go to” person for all board members to contact with any questions about the Foundation or UHN
- Assist CEO with ongoing communications with board and donors
- Track special life events (e.g. anniversaries, birthdays) of board members
- Liaise with TGWHF’s Marketing and Communications Team and UHN Public Affairs staff to ensure timely communications to board members about any major UHN development
- Monitors any new appointments for board members and ensures changes are tracked
The Ideal Candidate
Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, verbal, written and relationship management skills are critical factors for success. In addition, our successful candidate will be/possess:
- A trusted advisor: strong business acumen; ability to influence without authority; professionalism in dealing with colleagues, employees, leaders, external partners, volunteers and other stakeholders
- Experience in a complex environment will be considered an asset
- Highly organized, mature and trustworthy
- A team player with the demonstrated ability to; ‘win friends and influence people’ at all levels of the organization, both internally among employees and with key external stakeholders i.e. senior volunteers
- Strong understanding of volunteer stewardship fundamentals
- Previous experience managing projects with superior attention to detail and foresight to escalate risks
- Excellent project management and organization skills with ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced, multi-task environment with demanding deadlines and/or changing priorities
- Demonstrated proficiency using technology to create efficiency and for data driven reporting (ie. Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- A strong work ethic coupled with tact and diplomacy consistent with TGWHF values (Excellence, Integrity, Accountability, Collaboration, Donor-Centered)
- An aptitude for creativity, with the ability to conceptualize new ideas
- A flexible and adaptable work style; open to collaboration with strong personalities and professionals; thrive in an evolving work culture
- Often goes above and beyond the job requirements– comfortable working late and weekends
- Completed education from University or College in relevant field
- Previous experience in Human Resources required
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you by August 2, 2019. Please prepare your Cover Letter and CV outlining why you think you are an ideal candidate and send to Lindsay Preston at email@example.com Please note, only qualified applicants will be contacted.