Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Advancement Operations supports and guides the External Relations Portfolio in the areas of constituent database and technology infrastructure, business analysis and reporting, gift and biographic records management, campaign reporting, prospect management and data analytics, prospect research, project and fund management. In addition, we provide budget management and human resources services to the External Relations portfolio.
The Director of Finance is accountable for providing strategic leadership to financial, alumni services and gift processing teams within Advancement Operations, and for advising on and managing business processes to ensure the portfolio is positioned to realize its strategy. The incumbent will monitor financial operations in a complex environment to identify opportunities for strategic, innovative and forward thinking change. The Director of Finance will develop and implement strategic operational plans for their portfolio, and work in consultation with the Executive Director (ED), Advancement Operations to facilitate operational budget and revenue goal setting processes for Western’s External Relations portfolio. The incumbent will work with various stakeholders to design, develop and prepare financial management and analytical reports that support decision-making related to External Relations functions.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management/Administration or related field
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- 7 years of relevant job experience
- Experience leading and implementing operational and administrative procedures in a not for profit, public sector or educational institution
- Experience in strategic planning, implementation, and operationalization
- 5 years experience managing staff and projects is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of financial budgeting and principles to develop financial models, forecasts and analysis, as well as strategic planning processes. Knowledge of best practices in advancement operations
- Knowledge of best practices in building a strong collaborative team, leading people and performance development methods
- Openness to recognize when change is necessary, and to develop, implement and lead effective change management strategies
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Communication skills with the ability to converse with, write reports for, and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization
- Ability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications
- Innovative and flexible critical thinking skills to adjust to and implement new processes or technology to the University’s advantage
- Ability to draw on diversity of skills, backgrounds and knowledge of people to achieve more effective results
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to quickly re-allocate resources and adjust priorities in response to unexpected events or changing circumstances
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Leadership skills with the ability to inspire employees and develop a shared vision to lead a team to excellence
- Ability to recommend controls to manage operational and legal risks
- Project management skills to align projects with strategic goals and operational objectives
- Ability to develop strategies that are in line with the University's mission and which balance competing priorities
- Ability to create a productive, safe and respectful work environment
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #17002 by midnight on July 23, 2019.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.