Posted On: 2019-07-10
Closing On: 2019-07-26
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Director of Development & Communications will be responsible for the design, leadership, and delivery of philanthropy and community engagement programs on behalf of Street Haven.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development & Communications will establish a strategic resource development plan encompassing aspirational and annual performance goals for fundraising, volunteer and community engagement, and donor stewardship. The Director will galvanize donors, partners, and stakeholders to fund innovations that transform lives.
In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for all external communications on behalf of Street Haven, including but not limited to newsletters, reports, publications, and a digital communications strategy, which support the resource development plan and enhance Street Haven’s profile and brand. The breadth and depth of Street Haven’s services will function as a springboard for communicating stories of impact.
ABOUT STREET HAVEN
Street Haven is a multi-site and multi-service feminist organization that supports women seeking assistance with its fully interconnected services. Women who may be experiencing or at risk of homelessness, substance dependency, mental health, trauma, poverty and food insecurity who desire enhanced quality of life and well-being will find an inclusive “safe haven” in which to rebuild their lives. Support and services have been delivered to a diverse community of women for over fifty years.
The organization oversees a 50 bed Emergency Shelter, 33 Supportive Housing Units, Academic Upgrading and Pre-employment Services and Addiction Services including a three-month 13-bed In-Residence Treatment Service and Community Outreach across Toronto.
- Website: www.streethaven.com
- 2017/2018 Audited Financial Statement https://nebula.wsimg.com/c54c692cfdac240324b07e24e8743c90?AccessKeyId=EBE72299E341FFED67EC&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
- 2017/2018 Annual Report https://nebula.wsimg.com/ac6d4b141ecf9b4828095d48063f42ec?AccessKeyId=EBE72299E341FFED67EC&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Director, Development & Communications will be an accomplished fundraising Senior Manager who leads with integrity to increase the base of financial support for Street Haven. The ideal candidate will possess broad knowledge of the development function, paired with rich experience in marketing communications. The Director will use a steady hand to define and steer the next philanthropic chapter of Street Haven’s evolution, keeping pace with significant organizational growth over the next five to ten years.
Passionate and caring, ethical and authentic, the ideal candidate will unlock significant investment to enable capital and program innovation to benefit the clients of Street Haven. Working with the Executive Director, Board, Director of Operations and a dedicated team of Program Managers, the Director will cultivate new connections with individuals, corporations, and foundations, building on a successful track record of securing major gifts in the five- to seven-figure range. The successful candidate will also have experience developing and implementing integrated, data-driven annual giving campaigns that seamlessly combine solicitation, stewardship, and communications to drive philanthropic support and involvement.
Brimming with energy and enthusiasm, the new incumbent will be a savvy entrepreneur with a strong understanding of the political landscape. Friendly, approachable, and a natural story teller, the Director will grow the marketing communications function and champion the story of Street Haven, one of Toronto’s best kept secrets. The successful candidate will craft compelling messages that demonstrate the organization’s impact and amplify its reputation and brand recognition.
An authentic motivational leader with a high EQ, the Director will inspire, mentor, and coach the development team, influencing the growth of new ideas and initiatives. The successful candidate will support, champion, and challenge the team, encouraging them to develop their talents and celebrate their individual and collective achievements.
Sensitive and respectful, the Director will have a true a passion for the cause, inspired by the real life clientele.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development & Communications will be responsible for developing and executing a strategic plan to elevate fundraising across the organization, setting clear goals and metrics for revenue development, communications, and volunteer, community and donor engagement.
Strategy and Planning
- Participate with the senior team in the strategic and business planning process.
- Develop funding priorities in association with colleagues across the organization, and translate into short- and long-term fundraising strategies consistent with the Strategic Plan.
- Develop and manage annual budget and operating plans and targets for individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Lead, develop, and execute annual and capital fundraising campaigns and build and maintain relationships with donors to support the work of Street Haven.
- Research, identify, and pursue opportunities for funding through all appropriate channels in alignment with Street Haven’s mission, vision, and values.
- Oversee all facets of the fundraising program including major and planned giving, sponsorship, corporate and foundation giving, planned giving, direct response, and fundraising events.
- Develop compelling case materials.
- Assess, evaluate, and implement changes as needed to fundraising activities and practices.
- Ensure the best possible stewardship of all donor relationships.
- Ensure progress tracking, financial controls, and reporting systems are in place.
- Maintain and manage Street Haven branding standards and messaging platform.
- Oversee and contribute to the production of published materials including Annual Report, internal and external newsletters, fundraising and program brochures.
- Oversee and enhance digital communication channels, including the Street Haven website, e-communications, and social media platforms.
Staff and Volunteer leadership
- Manage and provide leadership and oversight to the fundraising team including recruitment, training, direction, support, coaching, mentorship, and directing personal and professional development.
- Grow the leadership volunteer structure, including a major gifts cabinet, and participate in the identification, recruitment, training, management, and stewardship of leadership volunteers.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, champion fundraising and a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with internal stake holders: senior leadership team.
- Ensure all fundraising policies and practices continue to meet Canada Revenue Agency requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- CFRE designation (or capacity to achieve designation) and a degree or equivalent experience in a related field such as resource development, marketing, public relations or journalism.
- Five to seven years (5-7) progressive responsible management experience.
- Significant experience building integrated fundraising programs and writing annual business plans.
- Demonstrated experience building budgets and monitoring financial progress.
- Solid track record in soliciting and closing major and planned gifts in the five- to seven-figure range.
- Experience identifying and setting funding priorities and matching opportunities with donor interests.
- Experience developing and implementing custom and mass donor stewardship strategies.
- Experience developing a strategic communications strategy and creating a variety of communications materials (internally or through outsourcing).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; polished presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with Board members, committees, and volunteers.
- Excellent understanding of fundraising technologies, and digital media.
- Experience developing and implementing capital campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with prospective and current donors, board members, senior leadership, staff, and development team members.
- Experience leading and coaching a professional fundraising team, challenging and motivating performance standards.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills with an inclusive communication style, gaining respect and credibility from a variety of stakeholders and colleagues.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to lead multiple projects.
- Bilingual English/French preferred.
- Consistently demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality, integrity, and sensitivity.
To be considered for this position, you are a woman committed to the mission of Street Haven. Street Haven is directed by the principles of Housing First, Violence and Trauma Informed, and Harm Reduction, with all policies, procedures and service delivery informed by a demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Street Haven is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates with lived experience and/or from culturally and linguistically diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation, appropriate arrangements will be made to assist you through the process.
To apply, please forward a Cover Letter, Resume to Ron Lirette, Director of Operations at Operations@streethaven.com
If you have any questions or require clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Application deadline: Friday July 26, 2019 - 5:00pm EST