Posted On: 2019-07-10
Closing On: 2019-08-09
Location: home-based in GTA
Effective: Sept / Oct 2019 (negotiable)
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job title: Client Development Consultant – THINK Canada
Place of work: Home based. You will need to establish a home office.
Hours of work: 8 hours a day, Monday to Friday, with most of those hours to be worked during standard office opening hours. The job is based in the Toronto area.
Responsible to: Managing Director – THINK Consulting Solutions (based in the UK)
Responsible for supervising the work of: Freelance researchers; freelance and employed interim managers; team involved in delivery of the THINK’s Stewardship Tracker products.
THINK Canada is a new business initiative in year two of operation, established to serve the Canadian domestic not-for-profit market in the fields of fundraising, marketing and communications. The offering made to the marketplace is modelled on that successfully offered across international markets by THINK Consulting Solutions which has its headquarters in the UK.
THINK Canada is a Canadian company and is operating with a staff and freelance team domiciled within Canada. Strategic support to THINK Canada’s business development is provided by THINK Consulting Solutions’ Managing Director, and during the initial years of trading (and possibly beyond), support to the delivery of client projects will be provided by the UK-based THINK Consulting Solutions team.
Over time, all four aspects of THINK’s business will be established in Canada - Consultancy, Intelligence (research and knowledge), Interim and Forums. We have commenced with our interim, intelligence and consultancy offerings; however promotion of all four aspects of the business has been in place from the outset.
Two roles based in Canada are leading on the operational establishment of the business. This Client Development Consultant role is one of these and is responsible for developing the strategy to establish and grow the intelligence and interim parts of the business and will manage all aspects of sales, marketing and the daily operation of THINK Interim and THINK Intelligence. The role is also responsible for ensuring that plans and resources are in place to deliver and exceed agreed net income targets across these two key areas of activity.
The Consultant will also deliver some billable work to clients, as a consultant and/or as an interim manager, to achieve agreed targets.
Sales and promotion
- Devise and implement an annual sales plan to establish THINK Interim and THINK Intelligence, including the Stewardship Tracker and subsequently to deliver required levels of business in each activity stream.
- Devise and implement an annual calendar of promotional activity.
- Ensure THINK Interim and THINK Intelligence are appropriately marketed, using written and digital channels for promotion.
Client liaison and development
- Develop a network of contacts within the not-for-profit sector who are prospects for purchasing THINK’s services.
- Generate leads.
- Respond to any briefs sent to, and enquiries made to, THINK Canada.
- Prepare proposals to submit to potential clients. Ensure these are fully costed and that research proposals take into account the need for peer review, and that appropriately skilled interim managers are presented as candidates for THINK Interim assignments.
- Liaise with potential clients, and clients who are using interim already and are considering another assignment, during their decision-making process about whether to proceed with a proposal or candidate provided as appropriate.
- Undertake client pitches as required.
- Maintain ongoing contact with clients during live interim and research assignments, ensuring that clients are satisfied with progress.
- At the conclusion of an interim assignment or research project, collect client feedback and, if possible, testimonials for use in further promotion of THINK's work.
- Resolve any complaints received from clients relating to any aspect of interim or research work produced in a timely manner; ensuring the client is satisfied with the solution implemented.
- Support the production and monitoring of budgets and forecasts.
THINK Interim project management
- Maintain an appropriately sized and skilled network of interim managers for THINK Interim to meet forecast activity levels across all fundraising disciplines and at all staff levels; including running regular recruitment drives and keeping records of individual availability.
- Maintain ongoing contact with THINK Interim managers whilst on assignment and signpost them to members of the THINK Consulting team if they require specialist practitioner support.
- Maintain regular contact with all interim managers in the network, through quarterly newsletters and an annual networking event.
- Keep records of contacts up to date on CRM system.
THINK Intelligence Research project management
- Ensure that a network of appropriately skilled researchers and bid writers are available to deliver THINK Intelligence projects on a freelance basis. This includes keeping records of availability.
- Ensure that THINK Intelligence research resources required for the completion of research projects are in place and reviewed when subscription renewal is due.
- Ensure all research projects are properly resourced and that researchers are provided with necessary briefs and templates, working in conjunction with colleagues to develop these as required.
- Ensure researchers understand and meet deadlines on project work.
- Ensure that appropriately skilled individuals undertake peer review of research projects and bids and that this aspect of projects is properly costed.
- Directly deliver agreed level of consultancy and interim assignments in line with client briefs and accepted proposals, and to agreed deadlines.
- Promote the Stewardship Tracker product to relevant prospects to ensure target number of members is achieved.
- Liaise with the Business Manager to support the smooth running of Stewardship Tracker operations.
- Attend annual Members’ Meeting, to support the Stewardship Tracker Manager in delivery of sessions during the meeting.
- Contribute to the promotion of THINK Canada through production of articles, blogs, comments, etc.
- Undertake presentations on a 1-to-1 basis and at appropriate sector events and conferences
- Build a strong network across the Canadian not-for-profit sector
- High School Diploma or equivalent is desirable.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a fundraising team
- Proven track record of successful new business generation (selling and pitching) in either the not-for-profit or commercial sector.
- Experience of working in the commercial sector is desirable.
- Experience of developing strategic and operational plans.
- Experience of managing teams.
- Experience of managing income and expenditure budgets.
Skills and attributes
- Target driven and motivated by the delivery of targets.
- Proactive self-starter, able to work unsupervised within agreed timeframes.
- Interested in the business dimension of growing an area of activity.
- Strong planning and organizational skills - able to prioritize workload effectively and juggle multiple projects and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to engage effectively with a range of audiences.
- High level of financial literacy.
- Strong verbal communications skills.
- Strong IT skills and literacy – competent user of MS Office and ability to work with database systems.
- Flexible and adaptable style; able to travel and work outside standard office hours when required.
Terms and conditions
Salary: Canadian dollars 80,000 FTE.
Other benefits: Health Spending Account (HSA) contribution
Holiday: 15 day FTE, plus federal and provincial statutory holidays.
Travel: All reasonable travel costs will be covered.
A laptop and cell phone will be provided.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your resume and a statement on how you meet the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm August 9, 2019.
Interviews will be held in Toronto on Wednesday August 21, 2019.