Posted On: 2019-07-12
No closing date
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Director of Development
Full Time position
Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC) is a national organization that builds health, dignity and justice across the country through the power of good food. We provide ideas, resources and a proven approach to partner organizations so they can establish responsive, financially stable Community Food Centres that bring people together to grow, cook, share, and advocate for good food for all. CFCC also works with the broader food movement, including our Good Food Organizations, to build greater capacity for impact and to empower communities to work toward a healthy and fair food system and country.
CFCC has had significant fundraising success since its inception in 2012 and we’re poised to have an even greater impact. Our vision is a Canada that treats food as a basic human right and central to health and we need to build a thriving, sustainable fundraising operation to help us achieve this. We are looking for an experienced and collaborative minded senior leader to inspire and support a skilled team of effective fundraising professionals and grow our fundraising from $8M to $12M annually over the next five years. As a relatively new national non-profit, CFCC is seeking a leader who is excited about building and growing new sources of revenue and testing new approaches to building a national donor base. Reporting to the CEO and a key member of the senior leadership team, this role requires a motivated and passionate individual who is equal parts excited by the big picture vision of what we are doing and by the details of what is required to make it happen.
The Director of Development is responsible for providing strategic direction and overseeing CFCC’s national fundraising program including major gifts (CFCC is first and foremost a major gift shop), corporate relationships, foundations, government and sponsorship and events. This role also contributes to all matters related to the health and growth of the organization, as well as being responsible for building the fundraising capacity of our 12 (and growing) Community Food Centre affiliates to help ensure the sustainability of their important local work.
Community Food Centres Canada hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to achieving full accessibility for persons with disabilities by arranging for any necessary accommodation.
- Fully accountable for ensuring the necessary funds are raised from a diverse and flexible fundraising program with specific strategies and goals for portfolios that include major gifts, corporate partnerships, foundations and government, and special events. In addition to having oversight for the overall program, the successful candidate will also:
- As a member of the senior leadership team, contribute actively to CFCC’s vision and strategic development as the subject matter expert of fundraising;
- Develop an aspirational fundraising strategy to increase revenue from $8M annually to $12M annually by 2023;
- Manage a portfolio of major donor relationships and prospects;
- Ensure all donor communications are appropriately customized and align with CFCC’s Communications Framework. This includes the enhancement of CFCC’s case for support;
- Ensure there is ongoing and strategic prospect development happening across all donor segments;
- Bring enthusiasm and oversight to a robust suite of special events that serve to engage and attract new supporters to CFCC.
- Ensure resources, systems and tools are in place to support the successful execution of the national fundraising program. This includes:
- Manage a team of seven fundraising professionals and ensure they are supported and coached to achieve successes within their individual portfolios. The Director of Development will be fully accountable for the human resource management for the team which includes training and coaching, retention, recruitment and evaluation;
- Maximize the utility of Salesforce to ensure the CRM system is able to track and report back on moves management, prospecting activity and financial results;
- Lead the quarterly reporting to the Board of Directors on all subjects related to fundraising activity and revenue secured and projected.
- Build and support the capacity of partner Community Food Centres to have successful fundraising programs within their local geographies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proven track record of major gifts and relationship fundraising success, over 10 years of senior leadership experience in the non-profit sector, and particular strengths in writing, sales, marketing and management skills;
- Demonstrated success in delivering toward targets in a variety of funding streams (e.g. Major gifts, corporate, mass market, foundations);
- Demonstrated experience of building and leading a strong fundraising team;
- Experience with building, tracking, evaluating and reporting on fundraising budgets;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities;
- Evidence of a high degree of self-awareness, openness to continuous self-improvement and managing well during circumstances of ambiguity.
Salary commensurate with experience. CFCC offers a competitive pension, benefit and vacation package.
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 15, 2019. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. Specify Director of Development in the subject line.
Correspondence will be limited to those who receive an interview.
247 Wallace Avenue, main floor, Toronto ON M6H 1V5 • tel: 416 531 8826 • www.cfccanada.ca