Posted On: 2019-08-02
Closing On: 2019-08-16
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
We hear it again and again. From patients. From physicians. From nurses. From donors. There’s a spirit of relentlessness at St. Michael’s Hospital. It’s a never-say-no attitude, a willingness to go beyond. It’s why St. Michael’s is legendary for taking on some of the world’s toughest health challenges. It’s why we are leaders in so many areas of medicine — multiple sclerosis, cystic fibrosis, ophthalmology, critical care, trauma, minimally-invasive cardiac care, neurosurgery, urban health, neonatal care — and the list goes on and on. It’s a unique attitude that cuts across every department, and it is ever-present at St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation.
We are hiring two Senior Philanthropy Officers to join the team. Are you are a powerful, relentless, compassionate fundraiser who wants to help usher in the next era of medical innovation and discovery? Do you have experience in an academic or health-care research environment? Do you go above and beyond to provide unparalleled donor and grateful patient experiences? Then we have a role for you.
At St. Michael’s Hospital, “can’t” is not in our vocabulary. By joining our Foundation, you will become part of a fun, fierce and dynamic team of fundraisers, supporting a global research and patient care powerhouse that takes on some of the toughest health care challenges anywhere.
We are St. Michael’s, and we stop at nothing.
Job Description: Senior Officer Philanthropy - Grateful Patient
St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, through its philanthropic activities, assists St. Michael’s Hospital in attracting the resources required to fulfill and enhance its mission of caring, research and education as inspired and fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Our physicians, surgeons, scientists and staff are relentless in taking on some of the world’s most intractable health challenges. At St. Michael’s, our health-care teams have a unique attitude. They never say no. They never give up. No matter the problem, St. Michael’s looks for a way to solve it. St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation is leading the way in helping the hospital break new ground in kidney transplantation, neonatal care, multiple sclerosis, and cardiac and neuro innovation. It’s thanks to our donors and champions – who go to the wall for St. Michael’s, day in and day out – that St. Michael’s can continue to develop revolutionary approaches to patient care and to conduct research that changing how diseases are treated and future generations of doctors and scientists are educated.
The Foundation supports St. Michael’s ongoing mission to be a healthcare leader providing innovative and compassionate care driven by the incredibly generous help and support of all its donors. Since the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute debuted in 2011, St. Michael’s has become internationally renowned as a research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, you will become part of a growing team of top and incredibly dynamic team of fundraisers who support St. Michael’s as an internationally renowned patient care and research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
Sr. Philanthropy Officers at St. Michael's Hospital Foundation are part of a dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. This role’s primary responsibility will be to strategically plan, implement and actively build solicitation and pipeline strategies along with stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through various channels integral to building a robust pipeline of prospects and donors.
This position will focus on building our Grateful Patient experience. This role will actively lead the development and implementation of a collaborative and integrated grateful hospital staff and patient program.
The position also works with and supports the Senior Director, Philanthropy - Annual & Planned Giving in the rollout of effective and sustainable programs to achieve revenue targets of $10M and other agreed financial and non-financial goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Sr. Director Philanthropy develop, implement and execute approved strategies aimed at increasing revenue from grateful patients and staff This would include the development of an annual strategy, implementation plan and budgets.
- Actively lead and manage the grateful hospital staff and patient program.
- In conjunction with the Senior Director, Philanthropy - Annual & Planned Giving create annual strategy, implementation plan and budgets.
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of SMH.
- Engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Lead development and execution of leadership gifts and pledges focusing on gifts of up to $25K.
- Manage a group of 250 - 500 prospects (identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Identify potential partners and donors, as well as develop strategies with the Director to cultivate, solicit those prospects and steward their gifts, including written materials such as cases for support, proposals, and scripts.
- Liaise with other philanthropy portfolios – working in collaboration with , events, planned giving and communications teams to ensure that the pipeline and donor experience is consistent across all initiatives.
- Liaise with stewardship and communications team to develop proposals, gift agreements and stewardship reports.
- Liaise with prospect researcher to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas.
- Prepare reports and materials that will track progress and support fundraising activities.
- Ensure tracking and data entry is maintained for assigned portfolio.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies to maximize major gifts to the organization.
- Provide input respecting major gift fundraising that can be incorporated into the overall SMF Philanthropy Plan.
- Work closely with Director Donor Relations & Stewardship team to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors.
- Assist in the development of and ensure the appropriateness and quality of all necessary materials, proposals, cases for support, letters, reports and acknowledgements for cultivation and stewardship of donors.
- Work with gift processing team to ensure that acknowledgements, tax receipts, invitations, and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner.
- Work with senior management to identify and recruit volunteer leaders.
- Supervise, coordinate and effectively engage volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors, grateful patients and hospital staff.
- Liaise with assigned groups and committees to provide guidance and leadership.
- Work as a highly collaborative team player with integrity and respect.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the community to positively represent the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Abide by the policies and procedures of SMH and SMHF.
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and works in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the goals of the Foundation.
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have a minimum of 7-10 years of experience working in fundraising with at least 1-2 of those years working in an annual, leadership and/or major gifts with experience in making discovery calls to donors and prospective donors.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, researchers and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of healthcare research and funding in Canada.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as part of a fundraising team.
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of S Michael’s Hospital.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekend.
Accommodation for job applicants with disabilities is available upon request.
Please send your resume and cover letter to https://unityhealth.to/careers/ and search for Foundation.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.