President and Chief Executive Officer
At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), the patient and caregiver experience comes first. Scarborough is a community of communities – diverse and inclusive. With three hospitals (Birchmount, Centenary, and General) and eight satellite locations, SHN provides a broad spectrum of health services to one of the most diverse communities in Canada. Created through a merger of The Scarborough Hospital’s Birchmount and General sites and Rouge Valley Health System’s Centenary site in December 2016, SHN is committed to delivering the highest quality patient centered care, with a focus on enhancing access to services for the Scarborough community of over 650,000 residents. In so doing, SHN works in consultation and partnership with community members, health care organizations, the University of Toronto, the Health Network’s Foundation, Ontario Health and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
In 2018, SHN launched a bold five-year strategic plan to redesign the community’s health system and to become Canada’s leading community teaching health network. “Shaping the Future of Care” includes ambitious and innovative new facilities and programs. It is the culmination of progressive and inclusive consultation with the communities served by SHN, the doctors dedicated to SHN, the Ministry of Health, peer health organizations, and SHN staff and leadership. Through partnerships and collaboration, SHN is shaping care that is accessible to everyone. SHN is poised to make significant progress on transforming health care. The SHN Foundation (SHNF) inspires the support necessary to improve patients’ lives through exceptional care at Scarborough Health Network’s three hospitals and eight satellite sites. Since its inception, the Foundation has worked with generous donors, volunteers and community members to raise funds needed to build state-of-the-art infrastructure and purchase the latest medical technology, supporting the SHN’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network.
Reporting to the Co-Chairs of the SHNF Board of Directors, the President and Chief Executive Officer (“President and CEO") at SHN Foundation is a key member of the SHN executive team, leads the strategy for the Foundation, and serves as a passionate ambassador for the SHN in the community. The Foundation President and CEO generates significant revenue growth by cultivating multi-stakeholder relationships and leveraging insights and data from SHN clinicians, physicians, the SHN Foundation Board and volunteers. With outstanding communication skills, she/he leads and inspires a dynamic foundation team and creates a culture of continuous improvement that enables the growth and transformation of Scarborough Health Network. Charismatic, engaging, smart and agile, the successful SHN Foundation President and CEO is a results-oriented individual with significant background, expertise and proven success in fundraising.
A current CEO, Chief Development Officer or senior executive in the not-for-profit, private or public sector, she/he is an experienced leader with demonstrated history of mobilizing large teams and generating enthusiasm and momentum for financial and operational objectives. A respectful and collaborative people person, the President and CEO is nimble and resilient, quickly able to adapt to changing priorities and navigating complex, multi-site environments and diverse communities. She/he is passionate about the transformational mission, vision, and values of this new health network and is able to translate that passion into significant financial support. The President and CEO of the Scarborough Health Network Foundation, will power the bold new vision of SHN and its Foundation, improving the quality and delivery of services and transforming health outcomes of the Scarborough community for many years to come.
Overview of Scarborough Health Network
Our Vision: Canada’s leading community teaching health network – transforming your health experience.
Our Mission: Improving lives through exceptional care.
Our Values: In all our interactions, we will be:
- Compassionate – We show empathy for our patients, families, and each other. We listen openly and speak
- respectfully. We provide a compassionate and safe care experience every day.
- Inclusive – We are inspired by the diversity of our community. We make everyone feel welcome, respected,
- supported, valued and able to fully participate.
- Courageous – We inspire each other to act boldly, to make a difference. We advocate for each other and the
- needs of our community. We work together to overcome challenges. We take accountability for our actions.
- Innovative – We demonstrate excellence by embracing new ways of thinking, acting, leading and teaching.
Our Beliefs: In a community as large, vibrant and diverse as Scarborough, it takes determination and a willingness to
innovate to deliver quality care – a partnership between caregivers and the community is a vital trust. As we work with
the community, we are guided by the following strongly held beliefs:
- Collaboration is the future of health – How we think about health care has shifted to a more collaborative approach between care providers throughout our network and beyond it, from our patients to our greater community.
- Caring for others is our honour – For our staff, caring isn’t merely a responsibility or an obligation; it’s what we love to do.
- Data and technology have the power to improve peoples’ lives – As technology advances, we’re at the forefront of the latest innovations and developments – harnessing its tremendous power and using it to help connect and benefit our community.
- Every interaction is an opportunity to build trust – Trust isn’t something that’s easily given. But with heart and determination, it can be earned – every interaction between patients and staff throughout our network is an opportunity to earn and reward that trust.
Patient and Family Centred Care, “PFCC,” means we need to adapt the way we think, feel and behave – Our staff and our entire network are committed to putting patients and their families first. It’s bold, patient-centred thinking that emphasizes the quality of care provided before, during and after their visit – not simply measuring success by the speed and volume of treatments and discharges.
Our Strategic Plan: In 2016 – 2018, SHN embarked on an ambitious process to engage its key stakeholders and to learn from others as we sought to create a vision for the future and set a strategic plan to get there. In November 2018, our Board of Directors approved our 2018 to 2023 Strategic Plan. This plan will guide SHN through the next stage of our growth and development with a focus on four strategic directions:
• Build our culture to empower and inspire people
• Improve population health, health equity, and system integration
• Transform the patient experience through innovation, education, and research
• Set a new standard for exceptional quality and patient safety
There is an inherent understanding that these strategic directions require a collective effort amongst a number of internal and external stakeholders that need to work collaboratively to create this future state; it will take a coordinated and collaborative way of working together to achieve these outcomes.
The President and Chief Executive Officer at the SHN Foundation Opportunity
The SHN Foundation raises and stewards the financial support necessary to ensure timely and effective healthcare delivery through the Scarborough Health Network, transforming patient care and health outcomes for the diverse community of Scarborough. Helping SHN re-imagine the patient experience through innovation and technology, the Foundation will generate support for new funding opportunities such as the Medical Imaging and Vascular Centre and projects at each of the three hospital sites – projects that specifically address the unique health challenges of Scarborough’s complex population. Finding itself at a pivotal moment in its transformation, the SHN Foundation is poised to further strengthen its structure and set the aspirational fundraising targets that will empower effective and efficient solutions to healthcare issues in the community of Scarborough, setting the course for a healthier tomorrow.
Reporting to the Co-Chairs, SHNF Board of Directors, the President and CEO of the SHN Foundation is a key member of the SHN’s Senior Leadership Team with extensive strategic, operational, and leadership accountabilities. In accordance with the vision, mission, and key objectives outlined in the new SHN strategic plan, the President and CEO, SHN Foundation will develop a comprehensive and aspirational fundraising strategy that includes both short- and long-term financial goals, operational and resourcing deliverables, a measurement and evaluation framework and structural realignment recommendations. She/he will generate diverse revenue streams by building strong partnerships between hospital clinicians, physicians, and researchers and donors and prospects, driving collaborative relationships with critical internal and external stakeholders that lead to significant revenue growth. As part of future planning, she/he will build consensus on the prioritization of goals, objectives, and strategies that will propel the organization through transformation including sourcing business development and revenue generating initiatives and partnering with the Executive team to influence the Ministry on priority funding for the SHN.
The President CEO of the SHNF will hold responsibility for overall development and adherence to the policies, procedures, tools, resources, and business applications across the organization. The President and CEO is accountable for the effective and efficient stewardship of significant financial, technology, and human resources. The President and CEO will be responsible for identifying and implementing operational efficiencies where possible and providing short and long-term recommendations for systems improvements, products, and processes that increase the operational effectiveness of the organization.
The President and CEO of the SHN Foundation provides leadership, coaching, and mentorship to an engaged Foundation team. She/he models and upholds the values of the SHN Foundation and promotes an inclusive and dynamic culture that ensures individuals are highly engaged, have capacity and opportunity to innovate, and are results-driven. Focused on building empathy and trust, she/he promotes an environment that is warm and engaging,
encourages personal and professional development, embraces teamwork, and celebrates excellence. The President and CEO will be accountable for assessing organizational structure, developing multi-year resourcing plans that align with the fundraising strategies and business objectives of the organization and will be responsible for the effective recruitment and management of new staff as warranted. Short- and Long-Term Success Indicators for SHN Foundation’s President and CEO include:
By the end of the first year, the successful President and CEO, SHN Foundation will have:
• Immediately assumed leadership of the SHN Foundation and ensured continuity of existing projects and fundraising campaigns and provided thought leadership as to timelines and deliverables
• Earned the trust and confidence of the SHN President and CEO, the Senior Leadership Team, and the Board of Directors for SHN and the SHN Foundation
• Successfully partnered with the Campaign Chair and Campaign leadership to achieve year one objectives
• Embraced the case for support – SHN’s unique value proposition – and identified new revenue streams/business development opportunities for the hospital network that will result in transformational gifts and spearhead a robust Campaign plan
• Advanced external stakeholder/community engagement relationships that lead to increased financial commitments and innovative partnerships for SHN
• Developed solid understanding of key issues impacting SHN as it relates to the broader healthcare system and have a clear point of view on funding model and potential financial partnerships
• Effectively built collaborative relationships and gained the confidence of key stakeholders including clinicians, physicians, future researchers, donors, volunteers, and community leaders
• Developed a high-performing Foundation team that is empowered and energized, is committed to continuous improvement and transformation and has been able to deliver on existing and new goals and
• Effectively attended numerous events and established key relationships with the diverse communities SHN so proudly serves
Beyond the first year, the successful President and CEO, SHN Foundation will:
• Elevate the profile of SHN and deliver consistent and substantial transformational donor gifts against clearly established timelines and milestones, as set out in the Campaign Plan
• Ensure the continuous improvement and expansion of key community stakeholder relationships
• Drive satisfying partnerships between hospital physicians/clinicians/researchers and donor/prospects that lead to consistently improved revenue outcomes
• Identify and develop team talent that have the skills and resources to deliver on revenue targets, meet deadlines, and promote SHN as a leader in community healthcare delivery
• Serve as a credible ambassador and advocate for SHN Foundation’s growth, creating excitement for the future and a shared understanding of the challenging decisions that will define the Foundation’s success
The Desirable President and Chief Executive Officer Experience and Competencies
The SHN Foundation President and CEO is a strategic leader who brings 10+ years of progressive development, operations and management experience in medium to large not-for-profit, healthcare, public or private sector organizations with complex multiple stakeholder responsibilities. With a background in a similar CEO role or Chief Development Officer, and a track record of improving organizational effectiveness, mobilizing teams, and delivering
significant revenue growth, the President and CEO, SHNF is a charismatic, passionate mission advocate recognized for her/his best-in-class customer service. Ideally, she/he has experience in navigating organizational transformation and possesses the communication skills and operational excellence to maximize SHN Foundation’s rebranding and repositioning to a constituent base.
The ideal President and CEO has a ‘can do’ spirit and is able to see the art of possibility. With exceptional persuasion and influencing skills, she/he is an active listener and solutions-oriented, able to identify quick wins and generate excitement and enthusiasm for SHN’s mission. She/he is seen as a ‘bridge builder’ to internal stakeholders and harnesses effective outreach strategies that drive community engagement. She/he has a solid track record of
innovation and creativity in developing comprehensive fundraising strategies and is seen as a risk taker who can push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Inspirational and persuasive, the President and CEO, SHN Foundation, is an experienced people leader, coach and mentor who knows how to empower and motivate teams during a period of change. As a visible leader, she/he understands the value of engaging people at all levels across the organization and sets a personal example of behavior that others can model. The President and CEO promotes a diverse and inclusive team culture, can build and attract team talent, push individual capacity, and identify up-and-coming leaders, ensuring SHNF will have the bench strength to deliver on its aspirations.
An exceptional relationship developer with high emotional intelligence, the President and CEO, SHNF, collaboratively works across functional boundaries and locations, building a high degree of trust and openness. She/he can develop productive working partnerships with all levels of management and staff and can articulate and share key messages in a compelling manner to a range of internal and external stakeholders. She/he has a strong personal and professional network and the skills to attract other leaders to the business, fueling organizational excellence for many years to come.
How to Apply
If you are interested in further exploring this dynamic Scarborough Health Network Foundation President and CEO opportunity, please provide a detailed resume and cover letter to Lisa Heidman, LL.B., ICD.D directly at
email@example.com and Catherine Chalmers at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should highlight your relevant experience, connecting the dots between your background and the key competencies outlined in this Position Profile and express why serving as President and CEO at Scarborough Health Network Foundation resonates with you. We look so forward to exploring your candidacy.