Trillium Health Partners cares for more Ontarians than any other hospital in the province – with exceptional and the highest standards of care.
Trillium Health Partners Foundation is dedicated to raising the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners (THP) across its three sites: Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital, and Queensway Health Centre. The Foundation’s mission is to inspire the community on creating a new kind of health care for a healthier community.
The Foundation is in the early stages of a large-scale comprehensive campaign to serve expansion; fuel research, innovation, and education; and generate funds for all thirteen clinical areas in support of the Hospital’s strategic priorities.
Vision: Better Together
Mission: A new kind of health care for a healthier community
Goals: Deliver high quality care, exceptional experiences, partner for better health outcomes, and shape a healthier tomorrow.
- Active participation of patients and families
- Power of teamwork
- Curiosity, creativity and continuous learning
- Health care that works for everyone
Where could you fit in?
You are reading this position profile because it’s entirely possible you could become the President & Chief Executive Officer for the Foundation. Consideration for the role starts with your own – objective – personal analysis.
In other words, are you the right fit? This opportunity will appeal to an accomplished leader, someone with sophisticated relationship skills, experience leading a high-performing team with full accountability and impressive fundraising campaign experience.
Do you have the top-flight success in major gifts, the zeal for business excellence, and a creative leadership style that inspires the very best of your team? You have held accountability for a P&L and are known in the sector. The President & CEO role demands clear-eyed objectivity, quick intelligence, the highest degree of organization, and tireless, flat-out commitment to results. You are collaborative, excited by new engagement practices, and have a deep understanding of reputational dynamics in Foundation success.
Outgoing and diligent, you listen, you work collegially, and you build stretch-targets. And then blow right past them.
Ready to learn more? Read on.
Trillium Health Partners Foundation
Trillium Health Partners Foundation (the Foundation) was created from the 2013 amalgamation of two exceptional foundations: Trillium Health Centre Foundation and The Credit Valley Hospital Foundation.
The Foundation is dedicated to raising the critical funds needed to address the highest priority needs of Trillium Health Partners’ three sites: Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital, and Queensway Health Centre. The Foundation’s mission is to inspire and partner with the community to invest in how health care is delivered in this region. It is a mission deeply rooted in Trillium Health Partners’ strategic plan, one focused on creating a new kind of health care for a healthier community.
The Foundation is in the planning stages of a large-scale comprehensive campaign that will deliver the local share of a significant two-site hospital expansion (announced in the 2017 provincial budget); fuel research, innovation & education; and generate funds for all thirteen clinical areas in support of the Hospital’s strategic priorities.
Trillium Health Partners
Trillium Health Partners was formed in the 2011 amalgamation of the Credit Valley Hospital and Trillium Health Centre (Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre). THP serves the 2.4 million people of the Halton and Peel regions, the City of Mississauga, and west Toronto.
THP envisions a new approach to health: an interconnected system of care that is organized around the patient, both inside the hospital and beyond its walls, an approach that provides excellent care today and continued leadership for improving care tomorrow, a system that works with and for patients.
In a very short time, Trillium Health Partners’ health care innovations have had significant patient-first impact. From cardiology to cancer care, health care research to medical education, THP is transforming how Canadian health care is delivered, taught, and researched.
Vision: A Health Care Movement
In the next 20 years, the growing and changing community will place more demand for acute care services on THP than any other Ontario hospital. That is why Trillium Health Partners has developed a ten-year strategic plan to provide more support for better health. The plan will develop clinical programs and partnerships that think and act differently, helping to deliver more than exceptional hospital care. The vision is not to just to build more health care, but to build a healthier community.
Trillium Health Partners is creating an interconnected system of care that leaves no one behind. It is learning, growing, and innovating so that it can care for more people with even better results. THP is re-inventing the hospital by engaging patients in their own care decisions, by increasing access and reducing wait times, and by extending services into the community. THP is also working with partners to serve its patients before and after they need the hospital. This plan looks beyond building a bigger and better hospital. THP is changing how and where it delivers care to the community at every stage of life. Trillium Health Partners is creating a new kind of health care for a healthier community.
Trillium Health Partners serves 2.4 million people in Mississauga, west Toronto, and Halton and Peel regions and welcomes 1.7 million patient visits a year in facilities built to serve half that number. The population is projected to grow by approximately 45% (1 million people) by 2041, with much of that increase coming from children and from seniors who often require care for chronic disease. The region is also the most culturally diverse in Canada, home to patients who collectively speak more than 130 languages.
In the next ten years we are building a new hospital at Mississauga site, increasing the size of the Queensway site and building two new Long-Term Care facilities in a seniors’ hub concept.
The demographics and diversity of the population served make for a vibrant community, but their continuing growth will challenge capacity – the beds, clinics, programs, and professionals required to meet community’s needs. This will place increased demands on Trillium Health Partners’ ability to provide the patient-centred care that should be delivered.
Did you know?
2014: Trillium Health Partners launched the $60M Medical Psychiatry Alliance partnership with SickKids, CAMH, and University of Toronto to transform how care is delivered for mind and body.
2015: THP graduated its first class of physicians from the Mississauga Academy of Medicine at University of Toronto, solidifying its position as a top-tier inter-professional teaching hospital.
2016: Trillium Health Partners recruited an internationally-renowned health services scholar as Chief Scientist for the applied research Institute for Better Health, prompting other leading scholars to join in subsequent years. The Institute for Better Health embeds research and rapid learning in THP’s work in order to swiftly address real-life health care challenges.
2017: Accreditation Canada awarded THP their highest rating – Exemplary Standing.
2018: Trillium Health Partners received the 3M Health Care Quality Team Award for Putting Patients at the Heart, a program connecting THP cardiac patients with Saint Elizabeth Health Care to create a seamless transition of care between hospital and home.
These accomplishments and others are the result of the constant pursuit of innovations that improve patient care. THP does not wait for governments to direct strategies; instead, it invests strategically in making its own path to better health care. Source: Trillium Health Partners Strategic Plan: 2019-2029.
Organization: Trillium Health Partners Foundation
Title: President & CEO
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Location: 89 Queensway West, Mississauga
Direct/Indirect Reports: Approximately 40 employees
Key Internal Relationships:
- The Foundation’s Board of Directors, Strategy Committee, Governance Committee and Board Chair
- THP Senior Leadership Committee, Medical Directors, Program Directors, Strategy Management Office, Public Affairs, and Strategic Partnerships Trillium Health Partners intra-professional team
Key External Relationships:
- Donors and community members
- Select funding and community partners including government as designated over time
- Maintaining strong community relationships as the leader and ambassador of the Foundation among our external stakeholders
The Board of Directors
Trillium Health Partners Foundation is grateful to have an inspired and engaged Board of Directors. Every Board member has a unique why—that special thing that inspires them to serve.
Olga Giovanniello M.Ed, C.Dir: Trillium Health Partners Foundation Board Chair
Olga has over 30 years Human Resources experience leading and implementing HR strategies in large, complex organizations and is the Executive Vice President of People and Culture at Sienna Senior Living Inc. Her focus and that of her team is the Team Member experience so that Sienna Senior Living can ensure that the residents enjoy and experience “the warmth of human connection”. Prior to joining Sienna Senior Living, Olga was at Canadian Tire Corporation where she was most recently Senior Vice-President, Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness. In this capacity she was responsible for the leadership of the HR function for the Company. Olga also spent ten years at Sears Canada in various HR and business roles including Vice-President, Financial Services. Her HR career began at TD Bank where she spent 10 years in management positions and senior HR roles.
Olga has a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Master of Education degree from the University of Toronto. She holds the Chartered Director (C.Dir) accreditation from McMaster University and is Chair of the Trillium Health Partners Foundation Board.
Greg Grice: Trillium Health Partners Foundation Outgoing Board Chair
As Executive Vice President, Business Financial Services for RBC’s Canadian Banking division, Greg is responsible for setting the strategic direction and leading all lines of business that serve small business and commercial clients through an extensive business banking network. Based on a strong commitment to its clients, Business Financial Services holds the leading market share across Canada in business loans and deposits/investments.
Since joining RBC in 1988, Greg has had a wide range of senior management and executive positions within RBC’s branch network and head office. Prior to his current role, he was Executive Vice President, Enterprise Services where he led Procurement; Enterprise Optimization; Acquisition Integration & Enterprise Decision Support; Strategy & Transformation; Corporate Real Estate and Enterprise Business Continuity Management. Greg has also served as SVP, Service and Operations, RBC Insurance as well as a number of senior executive roles including Regional President for the Atlantic Region, Vice President of RBC’s domestic Business and Commercial Financing Products and Regional Vice President of Business Markets for the Greater Toronto Region.
Greg earned a Bachelor of Business Administration from Wilfrid Laurier University. An avid community supporter, Greg serves as a member of the Board of Directors for Trillium Health Partners Foundation, Moneris Solutions Corporation and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. He is past Chair of the Board of Directors for Trillium Health Partners Foundation. He lives in Toronto with his wife and their two children.
Responsibilities of the Role
The President & CEO will report to the Foundation Board (through the Foundation Board Chair). They will work closely with the Board Members, CEO of the hospital and senior leadership to contribute to grow and foster a culture of philanthropy and engagement as it moves into an ambitious campaign. Our successful candidate will be passionate about the transformative power and impact of healthcare. A pacesetter with a healthy sense of urgency and initiative, the ideal candidate will create momentum in pursuit of THPF’s fundraising goals.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Strategic & Operational Leadership
- A key architect in the development of strategic and business plans and associated execution
- Work directly with the Board of Directors on the development, monitoring and execution of the Foundation strategic plan
- Ensure that key stakeholders are kept apprised of progress, issues, and opportunities
- Ensure that all activities and programs adhere to ethical and legal standards
- Establish, monitor, and report on appropriate goals and metrics for relevant programs and personnel
- In partnership with Hospital Leadership, align the work of the Foundation to the key priorities and strategies of the Hospital.
- Work with staff teams to ensure full integration and co-ordination of fundraising and support programs to maximize engagement and results
- Provide leadership, direction, encouragement, and management to the team, creating an environment of respect, accountability, motivation, professional growth, and high productivity
- Embody the values of the team created ‘ICARE’ philosophy: Inspiration, Courage, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence
- Oversee recruitment, retention, development, and performance of staff members
- Encourage the commitment of staff to the mission, vision, and values of the Foundation
- Engage team members to work collaboratively towards the integration of programs and activities in support of THP’s and THPF’s collective goals
Volunteer & Partner Engagement
- Develop and contribute to positive relationships with THP CEO, Chief of Staff, Senior Leadership Team, as well as volunteers, physicians, clinicians, and hospital staff
- Lead the identification, recruitment, training, and support of leadership volunteers for the Campaign and Transformational ($5M+) and Major Gift programs
- With program leads, lead the identification of physicians, clinicians, and senior staff to act as Foundation ambassadors and to help develop and solicit Major Gift prospects (intra-professional team engagement)
- Foster and encourage heightened awareness of and engagement with the work of the Foundation across THP
- Support activities, attitudes, and behaviours that further the culture of philanthropy within THP
- Develop relationships with Foundation’s Board and key volunteers in order to secure their confidence, trust, and commitment
- Oversee and guide the Foundation’s efforts to provide guidance, training and support intra- professional engagement.
Hospital Partnership and Alignment
Working with the Hospital CEO and management team of THP to:
- Align the Foundation strategy to the priority needs of the hospital
- Plan financial strategies collectively to maximize giving opportunities and also meeting hospital needs
- Work in concert with the Hospital to develop the appropriate policies and teamwork to support the Foundation’s services
- Engage the hospital in annual business and investment plans
Campaign, Transformational Giving, Major Gifts, Research and Stewardship Portfolios
- Build and recruit for a Campaign Cabinet
- Partner with senior volunteers on building, and managing a portfolio of $5M - $50M transformational giving prospects
- Partner with appropriate volunteers and partners on the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of transformational gifts
- Engage a newly formed Campaign Cabinet and Board Members in prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation
- Oversee and personally provide the required appropriate support, mentoring, coaching, and encouragement to Foundation staff, Board members, Campaign Cabinet, senior volunteers, and intra-professional partners involved in transformation gift efforts
The Ideal Candidate
A skilled and effective communicator with impeccable interpersonal skills, the ideal candidate will possess a quick intelligence and sophistication that combines energy, charisma and gravitas. The President & CEO will be highly emotionally intelligent and will deftly manage the complexity and challenges of an organization that is building while launching an ambitious campaign. Able to connect and relate easily to a diverse range of individuals at all levels, the President & CEO of the Foundation will create and seize opportunities to build relationships and engage others in Trillium Health Partners’ future.
Must have a proven record of success in:
- Leading the major and transformational giving portfolio within a sophisticated philanthropic institution
- Comprehensive campaign leadership experience including building, recruiting and managing a Campaign Cabinet
- Cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation gifts at the multi-million-dollar level
- Innovation and strategic business to align and enhance organizational strategy, operations, and management
- Developing, guiding, coaching and supporting a team and Boards, and will provide direction, encouragement and support to leverage the involvement of the hospital CEO, senior volunteers, internal leaders and hospital staff
- Building strong, effective relationships; proven ability to manage Boards and/or other key constituencies requiring skilful leadership, influence, and persuasion skills
- Driving internal growth, including the capacity of team members to succeed and reach their full potential
Ideally will possess:
- Hospital/healthcare exposure and experience
- Experience in working with boards
- Campaign experience
- Transformational major gifts experience (+$5M)
Character & Competencies
- A self-starter with a can-do attitude and vision. A respected ability to motivate everyone for the mission – with infectious energy, insight, and drive, you spark fresh dynamism, aligning, challenging, and inspiring a diverse team to the very highest of standards
- Forthrightness in holding people accountable – an honest approach to building a team and building careers – a great coach
- An attitude that champions disruptive ideas that drive donor contributions and engagement
- A highly analytical and data-driven fundraiser
- An ability to paint a big picture by paying close attention to the details
- A passion for life-long learning and staying current, for discovering, understanding, and implementing cutting-edge technologies and processes for greater reach and cost-effectiveness
- Excellent problem-solving skills: structuring/analysis/synthesis
- Honesty, openness, transparency, authenticity and you model these in all situations and for all interactions
- The ability, insight, and drive to navigate complex organizational dynamics
- Experience in a multi-stakeholder environment where you have led by consensus
- A deep understanding that the ‘whole is greater than the sum of its parts’
- A Servant/Leader ethos that becomes engrained in the Team Culture
Ideally will exhibit:
- A positive attitude for self and team: anything can be solved; anything can be accomplished
- A belief that opportunity can always be found in facing problems
- Refreshing but respectful candor
- A modus operandi that puts the mission ahead of personal advancement
- The highest of personal and corporate standards – ‘good enough’ is never enough
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great Board and hospital leadership team for a very important, focused, and successful organization that is about to go through bold and transformational change, then please send your résumé, along with a covering letter explaining why you should be a serious candidate for this mission-critical position, to: Preston Human Capital Group at email@example.com by Friday September 6th, 2019. Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.
As an employment equity employer THPF actively seeks visible minorities, women, people with disabilities and Aboriginal peoples.