Posted On: 2019-08-13
Closing On: 2019-09-23
Employment Type: Full-Time
Chief Development Officer
Reporting to the CEO and working collaboratively with the senior leadership team and board, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) is a key member of a transformational, integrated, growth focused senior leadership team that directly impacts organizational success by developing, leading and optimizing multi-channel, integrated fundraising strategies to diversify funding streams, implement structures and tactics that maximize donor value and enhance donor experience, and position the organization as a charity of choice. Areas of focus will include an ambitious capital campaign with specific targets and timelines, major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, brand leadership, facilitating church and other strategic partnerships that are engaging and identify new funding opportunities, cultivate existing donor relationships, and increase community ownership and support.
The Scott Mission is a Christian ministry of mercy and love. It aims to meet the needs of people with love and compassion and seek to bring spiritual, physical, and emotional wholeness to their lives.
The Scott Mission was founded in 1941 by Rev. Morris and Mrs. Annie Zeidman as a non-denominational Christian organization responding to the needs of the poor, homeless, abandoned and vulnerable of all ages. Based in Toronto, the Mission offers practical, emotional and spiritual support to thousands of people every year.
While religious belief and practice are never conditions for receiving help and assistance, and everyone is welcome regardless of faith background, The Scott Mission is committed to the spiritual well-being of all people through the life and witness of Jesus Christ. Their hope is for everyone to have a personal relationship with Jesus, and to express this relationship in a life of integrity and in acts of compassion toward others.
The Mission is privately funded and employs over 100 dedicated staff at 502 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, its Family Centre in East York, the Collingwood Retreat Centre and its Summer Camp in Caledon.
Building on the vision of its founders, The Scott Mission has remained Christ-centred in all its programs and services. It was Morris and Annie Zeidman’s belief that the hunger of the soul needed to be addressed as well as the hunger of the physical body.
Areas of accountability and shared success for all senior leaders at The Scott Mission:
- Shapes Vision and Strategy;
- Leads Sustainable Transformational Change and Continuous Improvement;
- Demonstrates an Uncompromising Commitment to Operational Excellence;
- Provides strong spiritual leadership that is evidenced by a Christ-centred life and vibrant personal faith journey;
- Leads with Character that is God-inspired and aligned with TSM Values and Statement of Faith;
- Shapes and Models an Inspiring and Transformational Organizational Culture;
- Invites, Embraces and Facilitates Innovation and Agility;
- Champions Talent to build transformational capability, impact and outcomes, and recognizes high achievement at all levels of the organization;
- Decisions and Actions focus on clients as stakeholders, modeling strong servant leadership that embraces and celebrates the value of all those we serve, and aims to positively impact poverty issues in Toronto.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Actively contribute as a member of the senior leadership team shaping and leading organizational vision and strategy;
- The Chief Development Officer provides subject matter expertise and thought-leadership on strategic and transformational development strategies and initiatives that inform and build the scope and innovation of development programs along with a culture of philanthropy. Provide advice, knowledge, methodologies and tools to the senior leadership team, board and line managers to support achievement of goals and objectives;
- Effectively lead and manage an annual budget that demonstrates respectful and prudent stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
- Take an integrated and transformational approach across all channels to develop and lead a comprehensive revenue growth strategy that identifies new opportunities, untapped potential and leverages current development programs to achieve target revenue growth without compromising organizational integrity, values and faith commitment;
- Build ownership and capacity within the organization, with the board of directors, and other key stakeholders to support a culture of philanthropy that understands that generosity is at the heart of what we do and is a key driver that enables us to do it;
- Develops and implements donor identification and qualification strategies and metrics and gift acknowledgement practices;
- Understands and leverages the fundraising landscape in Toronto with a strong sense of urgency and tangible delivery of outcomes to meet ambitious timelines;
- Gathers and leverages data to continuously improve upon and inform development strategy, tactics and decisions;
- Monitors and reports on results, trends, risks and opportunities.
- Develop and lead a campaign strategy that reflects a compelling vision of The Scott Mission building campaign, offering opportunities for generous engagement, inspiring compassionate response, and igniting robust giving;
- Ensure achievement of campaign fundraising targets to achieve a campaign goal of $30m over five years;
- Work in close collaboration with the Chief Transformational Officer to ensure campaign giving targets, funds designations, charitable receipting and campaign promises align with project deliverables.
Major Donor, Corporate and Planned Giving
- Develop and lead major and planned giving growth strategies and plans, characterized by robust leadership gifts in the 5-7 figure range;
- Ensure the effective management, nurture and cultivation of a pipeline of high worth donors (individuals, families, corporations and foundations) to create sustainable and meaningful relationships and maximize outcomes through each stage of the development cycle.
- Develop and lead strategy that defines the unique brand promise of The Scott Mission that tells the story of who we are and where we’re going;
- Develop transformational and inspiring breakthrough messaging to enhance The Scott Mission’s brand and reputation and ensure all internal/external communications collateral are consistent across all touch points;
- Provide leadership and direction to all donor and public facing teams to support a consistent and seamless brand message and donor experience, including digital platforms;
- Engage the community and key partners as ambassadors of The Scott Mission vision, identity and values.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and transformational strategy to identify and build new, high-value partnerships with corporations, foundations, community/service groups, that reflect shared interests and values and contribute to the overall growth, profile, presence and goodwill of The Scott Mission.
- Commitment to TSM Statement of Faith;
- Compliance with TSM policies and practices;
- Other related responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
Education: Minimum undergraduate degree in Fundraising/Philanthropy, Marketing, or Business; MBA preferred.
Professional Certifications: CFRE an asset.
Minimum number of year’s related experience required to competently perform the work: Minimum 10 years of experience in a leadership fundraising role, including participation on a senior leadership or executive team in a complex and demanding matrix organization.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proactive, results oriented and solutions focused, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the CEO, C-Level Leadership Team and Board;
- Successful leader, strategist and subject matter expert in multi-channel fundraising, including digital and social media, brand leadership, relationship development and public engagement;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead strategy, and establish the organizational infrastructure to expand and accelerate TSM’s fundraising capabilities and position the organization as a leading charity of choice;
- Proven results leading an ambitious capital campaign in support of a $30million building project that will define TSM’s presence and support world-class service delivery in Toronto;
- Measurable experience leading a robust pipeline of major donors including corporations and foundations;
- Verifiable success prospecting, nurturing and cultivating major donor relationships to secure 5-7 -figure gifts;
- Ability to develop, implement and lead fundraising opportunities for Planned Giving;
- Experience identifying and shepherding critical partnerships with churches, community organizations and government as supporters and resources to TSM;
- Brings a robust network of professional contacts and potential donors;
- Impeccable verbal and written communicator and influencer; Polished and powerful presentation skills;
- Experience and ability to communicate effectively with media outlets and government bodies;
- Management of a multi-million dollar budget;
- Proven ability to lead engaged and high performing teams including team development and performance optimization.
This search is being conducted on behalf of The Scott Mission by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector.
Applications are invited from qualified candidates to be received by September 23, 2019. Please include your cover letter and resume as two separate documents, to email@example.com with a cc to firstname.lastname@example.org