Posted On: 2019-08-14
Closing On: 2019-08-28
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
This is your opportunity to….#showupforyouth
Come join us in our mission to engage and mobilize the country behind youth and mental health in Canada as our new Senior Vice-President Advancement, Chief Development Officer
Bring your talent, passion and energy to a founding opportunity to join one of Canada’s most respected national Not-For-Profit Charities. This is an opportunity to join the Executive Team of Kid’s Help Phone (KHP) in the newly created role of Senior Vice-President, Advancement & Chief Development Officer. The role affords you the chance to be a passionate and vital member of a national movement to mobilize the country behind youth and young adults in every province and territory.
The Senior Vice President, Advancement & Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports directly to the President & CEO and serves as a key member of the Executive Team (ET) and the Senior Leadership Team. The SVP will work closely with the Board of Directors as a trusted advisor and 2IC. The SVP works in close alignment with their peers leading KHP advancement functions to increase the visibility of our services across Canada, establish and amplify the major and transformational giving program, foster existing partnerships and create new ways of engaging donors and volunteers.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an innovative thinker who wants to be a leader in a dynamic trajectory that is already underway at KHP. It is an exciting time in the organization's history with the second record setting year underway; there are ambitious plans to double review generation within four years, and we are tracking to a transformative capital campaign as part of the strategic imperative set by the board of directors. In 2019, we reached more than 1.6M young people, and we need to increase that to over 4M – because the need is far greater than it has ever been, KHP is poised and needs to make an even greater impact on the lives of young people in Canada. If not Kids Help Phone, who will? There is no other bi-lingual 24/7 e-mental health solution for youth in Canada. This position is a critical role in enabling Kids Help Phone to take its place as a not only a leader in youth and mental health, but a national leader in charitable sector for philanthropy & partnerships.
The primary focus and responsibility of the SVP is to develop and lead the strategic plan and a national team to achieve ambitious fundraising targets by leveraging KHP’s traditional strengths in corporate partnerships and community engagement, accelerating individual engagement and philanthropy, while also developing innovative engagement strategies that excite our existing donor base and attract new donors and supporters.
The SVP, in partnership with the President & CEO, is a “lead ambassador” and spokesperson for KHP and will be expected to play a public role, particularly in cultivating and managing relationships with corporate, major individual donors and other funding partners. The SVP will engage with regional and national resources to create a pan-Canadian network of donors and supporters to engage in our mission. In addition, the SVP will provide thought leadership within the field of philanthropy, cause marketing, and the ‘access to service’ innovation space. The SVP, Advancement & CDO will have a national voice within the NFP Charitable sector during the most transformative time for Kids Help Phone and for the sector itself.
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for our expertise and continuous innovation as Canada’s only 24/7 professional counselling and information service for young people in both English and French through e-mental health solutions. Since 1989, we have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through our free, anonymous professional counselling service, which research shows significantly improves youth mental health. We speak to the young of people of Canada every single day and are seen as thought leaders in the space of youth, mental health and health system solutions. We have been the only ones “open” at any time, for any reason, in whatever way a young person needs us to be – virtually.
In 2018, we launched a transformation in Canada through the new texting service, Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone, a fully dynamic AI/machine learning platform using trained volunteers across the country. It was a game changer, and the impetus to defining our journey to 2030 and beyond. The Innovation Imperative was approved by the Board of Directors in February 2019 and sets our course with a view to reaching 4M young people by 2024. It is the driver to the potential of a national >$200M comprehensive fundraising campaign that we plan to be in market with by 2022.
Kids Help Phone has begun to define itself and its future as an innovation brand that serves youth, and we strive to affect change through continuous innovation of our existing services and through developing new dynamic service channels. And it requires unprecedented levels of funding. Currently, Kids Help Phone raises the majority of its revenue from corporate sponsorship and partnerships, pan-Canadian community fundraising, foundations and some level of major gifts through individuals. We are building a strong GR funding model (overseen by the SVP, Innovation & Chief Youth Officer).
We have ambitious goals. We have a talented and values-based staff across the country. We have a dynamic and high performing Board of Directors. We now need a top talent to lead our Advancement strategy to redefine Kids Help Phone – for the 8.2M kids who live in Canada!
You will be a well aligned candidate if you are:
- A values based-individual who truly believes in the mission and values of the organization.
- Passionate about the KHP cause, desiring to make a difference in the lives of youth and young adults.
- Dynamic, energetic, goal driven individual with a positive attitude who enjoys working within a team environment.
- Results-oriented as demonstrated in past positions, setting ambitious goals and proven ability to deliver against them, applying strong quantitative analysis skills and the ability to target the right metrics.
- A proven advancement professional, a sector leader, with deep experience in leading a diverse advancement team and rock solid success in seven and eight figure level gifts.
- A consummate partner and kind-spirited colleague.
- Confident in your ability to challenge status quo and manage the risk threshold.
- Inspiring leader for your own team, your peers, external partners and colleagues, with a minimum of ten successful years as a values-based executive and team leader.
- Someone who approaches goals and targets as a means to a greater end – as a way to unlock the future and not as the end game.
- A proven track record in thoughtful organizational leadership, visionary strategic planning, intuitive change management, and strong budgetary management.
- An ability to ease into a well-established team and organization, with a view to amplifying talent and leveraging growth for future opportunities.
- Thinks that a problem is in need of creativity and a solution; including negotiation and conflict resolution. Flexibility and ambiguity often can intermingle.
- Top level communicator – in all ways, always showing up as the full “you” with confidence and presence, whether with donors, with the Board, with your colleagues, with media. Ensuring Kids Help Phone is represented as forward thinking, authentic and highly credible.
Note: Preference will be given to candidates who are fluently bilingual (French)
- Evolve, create and bring to life the Five Year Revenue Generation Plan, build out a campaign plan and deliver on the Kids Help Phone Strategic Plan through a robust advancement operation; from major and transformational level philanthropy, through to pan-Canadian mobilization and signature events, through to national partnerships, through to corporate development and sponsorship.
- Amplify and innovate a best in class donor stewardship and recognition program.
- Deepen our existing relationships with corporate partners and expand them into mutually beneficial solution based partnerships
- Develop new donor relationships with innovative development strategies, leveraging our brand, affinity groups and engagement through volunteerism and advocacy
- Close multiple seven figure gifts primarily in the individual major gifts channel and ensure that we have secured at least one eight figure gift before campaign launch.
- Create and execute a comprehensive integrated Advancement plan in collaboration with all departments with clear measures of success and accountability
- Working closely with Brand Strategy & Communications, and with Service Innovation, build upon the already strong Kids Help Phone brand with market research, data and competitive
- Act as second-in-command when asked to act on behalf of the CEO and be the organizational expert on Advancement across Kids Help Phone and at the Board.
- Engage the Board of Directors as strong fundraising ambassadors and solicitors – creating a troupe of effective and strategic volunteer major and transformational level fundraisers.
- Lead, in partnership with the VP National Partnerships & Chief Community Officer and the AVP Philanthropy & Corporate Development, the Development Committee of the Board.
- Create and bring to life the strategy and terms of reference for a Campaign Cabinet in readiness for the national campaign. Recruit high profile and highly committed campaign cabinet members.
The SVP will be accountable to set and deliver the annual operating plan, as well as the long term five year revenue generating plan. They will ensure accountability plans are set for all advancement professionals, inclusive of all goals such as pipelines, call activity, gifts closed and so on. Advancement Services is part of the VP National Partnerships & CCO’s portfolio, ultimately reporting to the SVP. The incumbent will further energize and accelerate the current dynamic trajectory that the Office of Advancement has generated.
The SVP will also create and manage the Advancement budgets, interfacing with KHP’s Finance and IT functions.
The incumbent will also be chief advisor and key partner to our communications and brand strategy group, and be a key influencer on marketing strategy for the organization.
If you are excited to #showupforyouth and intrigued by the above opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence to email@example.com by August 28, 2019. A full brief for this position is available upon request.
We thank all applicants for their interest; we will contact only those applicants selected for further consideration. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, and therefore early submission is encouraged. KHP will be pleased to provide an accessible recruitment process to candidates invited to move forward in our process.