Organization: Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation
Title: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Team size: 24
Key Internal Relationships: CEO; SVP CDO; VP Major Gifts; VP Estate Giving; Senior Director Finance and Admin; Director, Financial Planning and Reporting; Information Services Director; Gifts and Administration Director
Key External Relationships: Board Chair; Chair of Audit Committee; Chair of Finance Committee; Chair of Investment Committee; Vice President and CFO at UHN
Location: 190 Elizabeth Street, Toronto
Is this you?
Are you ready, willing, and able to be a key member of the high performing senior leadership team at one of the leading healthcare foundations in the country? Do you have strong accounting/corporate finance knowledge – are you able to tie everything back to the P&L/balance sheet and have a deep understanding of where the revenue is generated? Do you have senior leadership experience and operational expertise in the implementation of long-term strategic vision? Do you bring a sense of urgency while operating with very high standards? Do you believe any problem can be solved with a can-do attitude? Do you excel in team management – able to achieve P&L/KPI goals “on the clock”? Have you managed annual operating budgets with a “we can do more with less” mindset?
As head of the Advancement Services team (who invest, monitor and grant the funds), you will need to excel in collaboration, mentorship and coaching. You are someone who inspires people toward achieving the mission. Are you excited about working alongside your team in supporting the fundraisers? Do you excel at developing and leveraging relationships across a diverse range of operating styles – the Foundation team, board members, committee members, the hospital, local/national/global partners, donors and volunteers? Would your colleagues describe you as someone with excellent problem-solving skills?
Are you known for having the ability to distill the complex down to simple and digestible content?
Finally, do you have an intellectual curiosity toward the ground-breaking work being done in the hospital and passion for excellence in health care?
If this sounds like you, please keep reading…
About University Health Network
University Health Network (UHN) includes Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN has made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. It has the largest hospital-based research program in Canada, with major research in cardiology, transplantation, neurosciences, oncology, surgical innovation, infectious diseases, genomic medicine and rehabilitation medicine. UHN is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto. Learn more: uhn.ca.
About Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation
Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals, as well as the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. Together with its donors, the Foundation is helping world-leading health experts pursue the knowledge that makes all our lives better. Learn more: tgwhf.ca.
Toronto General and Western Hospital Foundation is a high-performance and high-growth Foundation with ~ 100 employees raising $152 million in the previous fiscal year with a sophisticated, best in class, effective and well-respected group of fundraising and advancement services professionals. The Foundation is in year one of a strategic plan (2019-2024) which will continue to build on their mission of raising much needed funds by developing and sustaining strong relationships.
We are seeking an accomplished leader to assume the position of Chief Operating Officer overseeing the Advancement Services team which includes finance, investments, technology, strategy and governance. Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, the COO will be a key partner to the SVP Chief Development Officer, Chair of the Board and other Committee Chairs, Vice President and CFO UHN and will be accountable for successfully implementing and monitoring the performance of the strategic plan that is currently in year 1 of 5. We are looking for someone who can be a nimble thought-leader, with high attention to detail and ownership.
This role combines strategic and operational accountabilities and strong collaborative leadership to influence culture and growth. The opportunity will appeal to an accomplished executive with sophisticated relationship skills, experience leading a broad functional team, intelligence, passion and understanding for healthcare and fundraising in the hospital sector and whose values align with Toronto General & Western Hospital Foundations creed, accountability and ethics.
The COO’s major accountabilities include:
- Supporting the work of the CEO such that she can focus on revenue generation, external opportunities and board/donor engagement
- Advising the CEO and members of the senior leadership team on a range of key strategic, business and operational issues
- Working closely to support and partner with the CEO in the execution of the strategic plan, to own accountability for its implementation, ongoing engagement of the senior leadership team to support and own specific objectives and identifying and leveraging talent to ensure greatest impact
- Ensuring best practices to support efficient and financially responsible operations and accurate, timely and fully compliant accounting, financial reporting, audits and internal controls
- Partnering with the other members of the senior leadership team to drive overall organizational effectiveness, including strategic, operational people strategies, workplace culture throughout teams, thereby leading to improved business results, employee satisfaction and productivity
- Supporting the CEO to best serve and report to the board, including operational management and overseeing preparation for the meetings of the board and standing committees of the board (including Audit, Investment, Finance, HR and Nominating/Governance)
- Report & process innovation using technology and business re-engineering to streamline operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Develop strategies for current and future organizational sustainability
- Oversee the management of the treasury function; prudently investing the over $650M assets under administration with the primary goal of maximizing returns
- Enterprise risk management: regulatory compliance including CRA guidelines for charities and new laws impacting bylaws
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will be an accomplished and ambitious leader ideally with an accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA) and a proven track record as a COO, President/GM with P&L responsibility, including involvement in strategy formulation and implementation, leadership direction and operational and financial oversight for an organization with significant scale and complexity.
Charitable sector experience and understanding hospital operations is an asset as is working with volunteer boards and understanding governance. Beyond that, we’re looking for a candidate that possesses the following must-have and strongly preferred qualifications:
- Ability to simplify complex financial content
- Sense of humour! Someone who brings positivity and FUN to the culture
- Sense of urgency and a can-do attitude; any problem can be solved/we can do it
- Positivity - opportunity can be found in big problems
- High standards
- I am frugal – “I do more with less”
- Knowledge & Skills
- Bring credibility, focuses on creating win-win situations for all while reflecting best in class industry practices
- Drives people towards the mission – can challenge and inspire
- Holds people accountable, can build a team and builds people up – great coach
- Does the right thing – doesn’t cut corners
- Role models honesty, openness, transparency
- Puts the interest of the business ahead of their own
- Admits mistakes easily and will proactively look for solutions
- Demonstrates strong accounting and corporate finance knowledge
- Can manage and understand financials models; nimble - works with numbers rapidly; knowledge of key finance processes: controls, financial reporting, budgeting & planning, management accounting, performance management and strategic finance – risk & governance
- Shows deep understanding of the economics of the business – understands the revenue streams and where funds are generated
- Owns the performance dashboard and knows in detail the financials of the business
- Risk management expertise, especially in the area of charitable regulations
- Collaborates with the senior leadership team to achieve P&L and key performance goals on time
- Possesses excellent problem-solving skills – structuring/analysis/synthesis
- Ability to be a strong partner for the chairs of the relevant Board Committees and the CEO in advancing the strategic plan
- Volunteer experience, ideally at the board level
- Values data, specificity, and checklists
- Understands the sector and hospitals – revenue stream(s), donors, competitors and suppliers
- Building upon previous successes, takes existing or new operational opportunities to the next level
- Business Acumen
- Is technologically advanced
- Has a nose for value – a strong sense of how to make/save money
- Savvy about contracts
- Understands the fund development lifecycle, donor journey and business forecasting
- Has experience working with various CRM software and associated ownership of such tools
If you are looking for an outstanding challenge and the opportunity to work with a great team for a very important, focused and successful organization, then please send your resume along with a covering letter explaining why you should be a serious candidate for this mission critical position to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than September 30th, 2019.
Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.