Position Title: Development Manager
Position Type: Maternity Leave Contract (until June 2021)
Location: 5657 15th Side Road, Milton, ON
Reports To: CEO
As Canada’s only paediatric organization providing respite, residential and hospice services, our mission is to improve the lives of children with medical complexity and their families. We do this by providing essential programs and services to enrich the lives of children day-to-day and help them reach their full potential.
Built on 77 acres on the Niagara Escarpment, The Darling Home for Kids is a unique home-like environment nested in nature, with many medical amenities found in a hospital. Our organization focuses its service provision on children who require intensive nursing support on a daily basis for survival, with a healthcare team that includes Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses, Personal Support Workers and physician support.
What we need.
Our Development Manager will be a seasoned fundraising professional with demonstrated success in leading a full-service fundraising team to achieve ambitious revenue targets. The successful candidate is responsible for the full scope of department fundraising activities, raising more than $1M annually for our operational needs through various revenue sources.
The Darling Home for Kids is heading into an exciting time we embark on a Capital Campaign to raise more than $6M to expand our Home. The Development Manager will be leading the charge on fundraising activities as they relate to the campaign, as well as maintaining an active pipeline of major donors and managing key campaign staff and volunteers.
- Generates revenue to support the organization’s annual operations.
- Executes a capital campaign to raise funds to support the expansion of the Home.
- Monitors revenue streams and fundraising activities to ensure alignment with the overall Fundraising Strategy.
- Plans, develops, manages and evaluates all aspects of fund development, including but not limited to, digital campaigns, third party events, cause marketing, direct mail, grant applications, special events, major gifts, sponsorships, bequests and other fund development initiatives.
- Manages corporate, foundation and individual major gift prospects, as well as sponsorship prospects, from identification through to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts at the five and six figure level, and personally maintains a portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Ensures the ongoing success of our signature fundraising events through sponsorship acquisition and fulfillment of benefits.
Management and Leadership
- Manages the Development Department and direct reports, including event staff and volunteers.
- Provides leadership to volunteer committees, including a subcommittee of the Board of Directors, the Development & Communications Committee, as well as Capital Campaign Ambassadors.
- Adheres to industry best practices. Develops, implements, and monitors compliance with fundraising policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively across teams and departments in the achievement of the organization’s mission and vision.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversees all marketing and communication initiatives for the organization.
- Represents the organization at community events and public speaking engagements.
- Manages and oversees the production and distribution of promotional materials, publications, newsletters, donor impact reports and annual reports for the organization, ensuring their accurate and timely delivery.
- Develops, fosters and maintains positive networking relationships with key stakeholders, and liaises with local media to continually promote the organization.
- Oversees digital and social media strategy to ensure content is on-brand, engaging and current.
- Maintains comprehensive donor records utilizing a CRM database.
- Remains apprised of emerging charitable sector trends and legislation and ensures organizational compliance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, in a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive fundraising experience in senior leadership positions; capital campaign experience considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying, ssecuring and stewarding major gifts and sponsorships at the five and six figure level.
- Engaging and dynamic leader, with strong people management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities and be self-motivated in a complex, and at times, demanding work environment.
- Extremely effective interpersonal and relationship skills couple with professionalism and poise.
- Dynamic communicator with the ability to create compelling communication materials as a vehicle for revenue generation.
- Computer proficiency with a working knowledge of donor management database software.
- Demonstrated integrity and a commitment to the AFP code of ethical principles.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) an asset.
- Flexibility to attend evening/weekend events as required.
- Unlimited access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Driver’s License.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector screening.
If you feel that you are the right candidate for this position and you want to make a difference in the lives of children and families, send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or visits, please. The Darling Home for Kids is an equal opportunity employer and will accommodate all applicants with disabilities in the recruitment process.