Job Posting – Manager of Development
489 Queen Street East
Open until filled
firstname.lastname@example.org – Note Job Title in Subject Line
Friends of Ruby – Who we are
Friends of Ruby (previously Egale Youth Services) was founded by Egale Canada in 2014 to meet the needs of LGBTQI2S youth.
To date, the organization has supported more than 850 youth and prevented 470 mental health crises and visits to hospital emergency rooms, saving nearly $300,000 in health care costs.
Friends of Ruby – Services and Programs
Friends of Ruby provides comprehensive and progressive support to LGBTQI2S youth, aged 16-29, well-being through housing and social services.
Friends of Ruby operates a counselling and drop-in centre and soon open the Friends of Ruby Home, a major new initiative which is well underway. The Home will provide transitional and emergency housing, as well as mental health and wellness support services, dedicated to serving homeless LGBTQI2S Youth, aged 16 to 29.
About the opportunity
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Manager of Development will manage and administer the full cycle of grants, aligned with Friends of Ruby`s strategic mission and direction, including but not limited to: research, prepare proposals, manage planning and execution, regular communications with stakeholders to understand funding needs and expectations, writing reports etc.
Development and Planning:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and team to create a fund development plan that supports the strategic direction of the organization
- Gather competitive information and identify potential opportunities and challenges in government funding, private foundations and corporate community/corporate foundations and adapt fundraising strategies as needed
- Establish and execute formal Planned Giving/Legacy Program
- Assist in planning and executing donor related stewardship events
Evaluation and Measurement:
- Monitor and Evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Maintain a database of current and potential funders, donors, government and corporate partners
- Develop an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program
- Develop and implement initiatives (campaigns, fundraisings, etc) to bring funds to the organization
- Gift processing and tracking moves management through donor database
- Issue acknowledgement and tax receipts through donor database
- Develop and manage communication initiatives to promote the work of Friends of Ruby to donors and prospects
- Write corporate stewardship reports for corporate sponsors and philanthropic donors for event and project-based funders
- Conduct new prospect research and analysis, develop briefing notes, presentations and grant proposals
- Maintain regular communications with assigned stakeholders, address any concern, inquiry from stakeholders
- Write and compile applications, proposals, and solicitation letters for Government grants and Foundations for a broad range of programs and initiatives
- Plan and execute all donor stewardship activities associated with fundraising and communications events
- Attend networking events to develop relationships with community-based organizations, government bodies and foundations that support Friends of Ruby` priority areas
- Represent Friends of Ruby at events and on relevant committees
- And other duties, as directed, for the delivery of the department’s strategic priorities and/or to meet key deadlines
Skills and Experiences for the role
- Bachelor`s degree in communications, political science, business administration, marketing or equivalent
- Advanced degree is an asset
- Strategic thinker with a project management mindset
- 3-5 years of institutional full cycle fundraising experience, with a focus on grant writing, prospect research, stewardship and donor relationship
- Ability to deal with conflicts and organized to create and/or refine processes
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with successful track record in crafting effective and compelling proposals, reports and budgets to meet specified guidelines
- Maintain and build upon relationships with existing donors, prospects, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to build long-term relationships with donors, using skill, tact, discretion and compassion
- Excellent negotiations skills with the ability to influence decisions to achieve objectives while maintaining policy
- Proven ability to multi-task in a busy environment, to work well under pressure, and to prioritize tasks appropriately while meeting time-sensitive demands.
- Has experience working in a not-for-profit
- Knowledge / lived experience with the diverse experiences and identities of LGBTQI2S communities is an asset
You should know
Applications will be considered as they are received until the position is filled. While we thank all candidates for their application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require an accommodation (including alternate format materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
To put forward your candidacy, send an email to email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.
Please specify the position title in subject line and ensure your cover letter clearly states:
- Your background/experience with donor relationship and grant writing;
- Why you would be a good fit with Friends of Ruby
We thank all candidates for their interest. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity
We are committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We encourage qualified applicants to consider work and volunteer opportunities with Friends of Ruby as we recognize that a diverse work force and volunteer base are critical to accomplishing our mission. The organization is dedicated to taking proactive steps to overcome historical patterns of discrimination in our society which have created barriers of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, language, class, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression for some individuals and have resulted in the denial of their full participation in society.