Posted On: 2019-11-28
Closing On: 2020-01-05
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Appointment Type: Full-time permanent
Classification & Hiring Range: Administrative: 09N: Hiring Range: $62,000 - $74,000, Broadband Salary Range $58,119 - $78,627
Reports to: Director, Development
Trinity College is a vibrant and diverse academic community with a rich history and excellent local and international reputation. Since its founding in 1851, the College has valued and fostered a high level of academic achievement with some 2,000 currently registered students, 450 of whom live at the College. Trinity College grounds comprise spectacular historic buildings, and the College is among the smallest and most prestigious colleges on the St. George Campus of the University of Toronto. Trinity’s campus currently consists of four main buildings and is located in the central Toronto downtown core, steps from the Bloor-St. George subway and Queen’s Park. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated leader to bring coordination and oversight to a diverse range of activities, events and bookings at the College, integrating existing internal institutional needs while pursuing business development opportunities for the College.
Under the general direction of the Executive Director of Development & Alumni Affairs, and reporting to the Director, Development, the Development Officer, Major Gifts is responsible for managing a portfolio of major gift and legacy gift prospects for which cultivation and solicitation strategies will be developed and implemented. This involves identifying prospects and moving them through to solicitation.
While working independently with a portfolio of prospects, the Development Officer, Major Gifts will work closely with other members of the Development & Alumni Affairs team to confirm gifts in support of Trinity College and the $40 million Living Trinity Campaign. The Development Officer, Major Gifts will help to sustain and deepen prospective and current donors’ interest and commitment to the College by providing support in areas such as event planning, prospect research and financial reporting. The incumbent will implement and execute stewardship strategies to maintain involvement, interest and support of major gift donors ($25,000 and above).
- Personally manage a portfolio of approximately 50-75 key prospects ($25,000 and above) by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new and renewing donors
- Prepare for meetings with prospective donors by undertaking/coordinating background research; coordination and briefing of academics and/or volunteers
- Support the Executive Director, Development & Alumni Affairs, senior leadership and volunteers by arranging meetings with potential and current donors and preparing briefing documents and other meeting materials as required
- Stewardship of major gift donors ($25,000 and above) on an individual basis: this will include working with the Development team to maintain stewardship checklists for new gifts; develop and produce tailored reports; report on endowed funds; organize stewardship meetings with leadership volunteers and staff; provide meaningful recognition in print materials and all other media such as the website, donors walls, etc.
- Collaborate with team members to develop and plan events that involve donors to Trinity College. This will include leadership, major gift and gift planning donors as well as alumni and friends of the College
- Provide support to the Living Trinity Campaign Cabinet, preparing reports, meeting materials and executing follow up as required (4-5 meetings per year)
- Provide solicitation support to Living Trinity Campaign Cabinet members
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of five years of experience in fundraising with a least two years of major gifts experience, preferably at an educational institution
- CFRE Certification an asset
- Demonstrated track record of closing major gifts at the $25,000+ level
- Superior interpersonal and judgment skills; ability to make strong connections and represent Trinity College with stakeholders
- Strong project management, organization and planning skills, with a demonstrated track record of program development and implementation and attentiveness to detail
- Experience working productively and positively with alumni and volunteers
- Understanding of the unique culture of philanthropy in an educational institution
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM and highly developed computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with a broad range of internal and external constituents
- Ability to work independently, solve problems, handle confidential information, and navigate sensitive situations with integrity and flexibility
Professional personal presentation and demeanor; ability to exercise tact, judgment and discretion; strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; able to work in a high volume office with simultaneous and competing priorities while consistently providing excellent customer service for all clients, both internal and external. Must be able to anticipate the needs of donors and staff; meticulous attention to detail is required. Occasional requirement for overtime or to be on-call evenings and/or weekends if special events are taking place.
Submit resume and covering letter to: https://secure.trinity.utoronto.ca/Resume?Stream=Development%20Officer%20Major%20Gifts Only applications with both cover letters and resumes and submitted through Trinity’s online application system will be considered.
Job Posting: November 22, 2019
Applications will be accepted to: Friday, December 13, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Trinity College is a federated university in the University of Toronto and offers excellent employment opportunities with exceptional benefits. The College is a culturally diverse community that sustains a tradition of academic excellence and provides a vibrant and welcoming community of students, faculty, alumni and staff.
Trinity College is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity. If you need this job posting in an alternative format or if you require accommodation measures, please contact us at email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.