Posted On: 2020-01-06
Closing On: 2020-03-01
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Community Engagement, the Manager of Fundraising Events will contribute to all Ontario fundraising events including the Walk to End ALS, Plane Pull to End ALS, and the third-party community event fundraising program. This leader delivers campaign objectives, develops fundraising models, project plans, tactics and evaluation standards to maximize revenue growth, reach and sustainability for the Ontario events portfolio (revenue $2.6 M).
About ALS Canada
A charitable organization that lives its values of accountability, collaboration, compassion, integrity, resiliency and respect, ALS Canada works with the ALS community to improve the lives of people affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis through support, advocacy and investment in research for a future without ALS. Fully funded by donors, we were fortunate to benefit from the generosity of Canadians during the Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014, and are now focused on implementing our 2018 to 2023 strategic plan in support of the following long-term impacts: people affected by ALS receive the best possible standard of care; more treatments are available to improve quality of life and extend lifespan, and people are empowered to make informed decisions about ALS.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage.
- Build relationships and engage constituents through personalized touchpoints, including in-person presentations and kick-offs, coaching and/or goal-setting meetings, and stewardship calls, committee meetings
- Attend committee meetings to help deepen volunteer relationships with the organization and assist efforts for fundraising maximization and event experience
- Support high-value third-party event organizers with best in class event resources, stewardship to build long-lasting relationships
- Successfully coach, enhance and motivate participants to optimize fundraising efforts and identify opportunities for growth of new recruitment/opportunities within existing relationships
- Develop plans and support the new acquisition of supporters, participants, teams and donors
Fundraising & Strategy (20%)
- Support the business planning and launch of new fundraising initiatives, with activities such as committee development and management, recruitment and sponsor solicitation, fundraising strategy, etc.
- Continually evaluate and improve fundraising and campaign delivery - Ensures effective donor and volunteer relations including appropriate recognition, acknowledgement and reporting to cultivate relationships with our supporters and ensure the sustainability of events
- Assist the Senior Manager, Community Engagement with budgeting, implementing fundraising best practices, building participant journey, and deploying campaign communications
- Contribute to and support a culture of the best practices in fund development to create efficiencies, improve fundraising margins and contribute to building a stronger culture of philanthropy
- Anticipate and plan for future events, trends, problems and opportunities and exercises sound judgment. Evaluate reasonable risk-taking opportunities and develop creative solutions, new ways of thinking and solving problems
- Leads calling campaigns as required
- Working with the Senior Manager, Community Engagement, solicit and secure Provincial and Regional event cash sponsorships for the Walk to End ALS and other signature events, as well as in-kind sponsorship for events, where applicable
- Secure and deepen relationships with current and prospective corporate sponsors under the value of $10,000
- Creates and manages contracts for event sponsors $5k+, and work with internal departments to ensure all contract deliverables are fulfilled
- Develops and implements participant journey for Cycling event
- Lead customer service and stewardship for participants, sponsors and donors for Cycling
- Contribute to the growth of Fund Development team through mentorship, sharing of fundraising best practices, event excellence
- Support the Event Coordinators, Regional Managers and volunteers throughout Ontario in executing best-in-class fundraising events across the province
- Contribute to event communications, developing strategic fundraising messaging collectively with Fund Development and Marketing & Communications teams
- Supports, mentors and coaches 1 direct report
- Chair volunteer-led Cycling committee maximizing efficiencies
- Co-chair the Toronto Walk committee and support the planning, organization and execution of the Toronto-Downtown Walk to End ALS as a flagship signature event
- Support the logistics, event management for the delivery of the Plane Pull to End ALS, Walk to End ALS, Cycling and any/all community engagement event
- In collaboration with the volunteer committee, executes the logistics of Cycling including but not limited to route selection, permit purchasing and provides logistics support on the day of the event
- Relationship holder for all Plane Pull and Cycling vendors
- Support event with Fund Development team and the Marketing & Communications team on the production of branded items across fundraising events including incentives, banners, sponsorship and recruitment materials
- Attend external events as an Ambassador of ALS Canada
- Other duties as assigned
- University degree or college diploma and minimum 4-6 years of progressive fundraising experience, including experience working on peer-to-peer fundraising events, managing volunteer activities and achieving revenue targets
- Proven background in leading national and regional event fundraising campaigns with revenue targets of $1M+
- Proven expertise in developing strategy and managing a fundraising portfolio, building campaign metrics, user journey, communications and stewardship plans
- Proven experience securing corporate sponsorships ($20k+)
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office and an aptitude for database systems
- Experience in not for profit, health charity or working with individuals with a terminal illness an asset
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- A collaborative approach to working on a team and experience managing volunteers, students, direct reports and/or mentoring
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Excellent analytical skills
- A high degree of judgement, political sensitivity and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage several project aspects with competing deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills with the ability to effectively interface with Senior Management, Board, partners and staff
- Excellent organizational, planning and administrative skills
- Ability to show initiative, tact, diplomacy, attention to detail and creativity
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Experience with or Working knowledge of the Frontstream/Artez, Blackbaud and Raiser’s Edge platform
- Driver’s License required; Access to a vehicle an asset
- Bilingualism an asset
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required from time to time
- This position involves some moderate lifting, shipping and handling
- Some travel within the province will be required
Submit a cover letter and resume in pdf format to jobs@ALS.ca. Please be sure to indicate the job title in the email subject. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
ALS Canada would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
ALS Canada is committed to accommodating the individual needs of job candidates, In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), ALS Canada is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities within our recruitment processes. Please contact the HR department at jobs@ALS.ca if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.
ALS Canada is committed to being an equitable employer, we strongly encourage people from equity-seeking groups to apply.