Posted On: 2020-01-14
Closing On: 2020-02-14
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
This is a unique opportunity for a philanthropic leader to implement the campaign for a new hospital in one of the world’s most exciting cities – Niagara Falls, Canada!
The Niagara Health Foundation raises, and stewards, funds to support high-quality patient care, education and research at Niagara Health. They raise funds exclusively for Niagara Health and bring people across the region together for a single purpose – to help their local hospitals and their healthcare teams deliver the best possible healthcare in the region of Niagara.
The Niagara Health System is a multi-site hospital amalgamation, comprising five sites serving over 450,000 residents across the 12 municipalities of the Regional Municipality of Niagara. The Foundation supports all five sites of the Niagara Health System including: Douglas Memorial, Greater Niagara General, Port Colborne, St. Catharine’s, and Welland. The Niagara Health Foundation was created in 2014 through the amalgamation of six hospital Foundations in Niagara.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO and working in collaboration with the Foundation’s leadership team, the Director, Philanthropy and Campaigns, will play a critical role in developing the strategy to continue to build a successful foundation to support Niagara Health. The Director will hire and lead their major gifts team. As a member of the Foundation’s Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Philanthropy and Campaigns primary responsibility is to drive campaign, leadership and major gift revenue and build capacity by cultivating and soliciting prospects at the leadership/major gift level; developing campaign/major gift strategies; and leading the coaching and managing of major gift staff.
Experience and Skills
- A minimum of 5-7 years of extensive philanthropic leadership (securing gifts of $100,000+) managing major gifts programs using moves management and donor-centred fundraising.
- Experience organizing, implementing and leading capital campaigns.
- Superior planning skills, including working with team members to develop the communication and marketing components within campaigns and major gift programs.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven collaborative leadership and team building skills; including ability to lead, coach and motivate staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes in a results-oriented culture including managing a budget and financial planning.
- Excellent organizational & presentation skills.
- Excellent diplomacy skills - able to leave ego at the door and tactfully, respectfully and collaboratively work with a wide variety of people; altering style based on the environment.
- High comfort level and tolerance to manage stress and the demand of the role.
- Positively able to represent Niagara Health Foundation in the region/community.
- Able to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Confident and mature with an executive presence and a strong understanding of emotional intelligence.
- Strategic and collaborative; a team player and builder with a commitment to creating a positive and inclusive working environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma or the equivalent management experience in a related field.
- Ongoing professional development.
- CFRE designation; or working towards.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in the Niagara Region.
- Experience working in a Canadian Hospital Foundation.
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles and their tax advantages.
- Access to a reliable vehicle and Class G driver’s license.
By February 14, 2020 please apply with your cover letter and resume, as two separate documents, through our website at
Questions about the position? Contact Gina Eisler at 647.529.5106/ 1.866.647.5149.
Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.