Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and an expert in perishable food recovery. We believe surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain should be redirected to feed communities.
Our services help to nourish people through school programs, seniors’ centres, shelters, community meal programs, food banks, and regional food hubs while at the same time keeping good food out of landfill, protecting our atmosphere from GHG emissions that are contributing to climate change.
We lead the avoidable food waste conversation and promote waste reduction and food recovery wherever possible to benefit all of us – environmentally, economically and socially.
Established in Toronto in 1985, Second Harvest currently operates in Ontario and BC through direct delivery and its community-driven online platform FoodRescue.ca.
POSITION OVERVIEW (PURPOSE):
The Senior Manager, Foundation Giving is responsible for overseeing the achievement of Second Harvest’s foundation revenue targets and overall grants strategy. The incumbent will personally identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospects within Second Harvest’s foundation portfolio, in accordance with performance targets set by the Vice President of Philanthropy and Communications. They will develop and implement processes to achieve efficiencies in pipeline management and donor cultivation. They will also direct the prospect research activities for the department, as well as lead the department’s grant application process, from initial research to fulfillment, ongoing administration, and reporting.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Serves as key departmental specialist for grant opportunities; manages Second Harvest’s grant application process from start to finish.
- Manages the research and identification of foundation and government grant opportunities that align with Second Harvest’s philanthropy objectives.
- Personally responsible for overseeing 2 direct reports, and managing a core list of 80 – 100 prospective donors for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and pursues leads with identified foundations.
- Leads the foundation pipeline management process in collaboration with Development Officer, Foundation Giving.
- Leads the creation of donor/grant proposals, in collaboration with the VP of Philanthropy and Communications, Programs and Partnerships staff, and Finance; works in close collaboration with VP of Finance & Shared Services and relevant Programs staff to prepare external budgets, workplans, and deliverables for grant applications and proposals.
- Monitors and executes grant administration: oversees timelines, deliverables, reporting and recognition requirements, and liaises with other internal departments in order to meet requirements.
- Oversees Prospect Research Associate in research activities for the department, including building out the prospect pipeline, generating detailed prospect profiles for team members, and ongoing maintenance of donor records.
- Works closely with the Development Services team to ensure all donor records in the CRM database have up to date information, are properly coded and allocated.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Specialized fundraising training and/or accreditation would be considered an asset.
- 5 or more years of experience in fundraising and/or a related field demonstrating hands-on practical experience.
- 2 or more years of experience in developing proposals and grant applications to generate general operating, equipment, and special project revenue.
- Exemplary donor service and relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines and goals.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office and experience using donor databases.
- Demonstrated ability to build enticing and inspiring donor offers that provide compelling donor-focused funding opportunities as well as meet organizational needs and priorities.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before February 16, 2020 via email, with “SENIOR MANAGER, FOUNDATION GIVING” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.