Is this you?
You are a creative, resourceful and thoughtful direct marketer. You’ve worked in a complex multi stakeholder environment, like a Hospital Foundation, University or National Health Charity. You understand the nuances that come with this complexity and you thrive in this type of environment.
You are very comfortable managing priorities and timelines. You can innately prioritize what needs to get done and stay on top of partners and cross functional peers in a collegial and supportive way to ensure timelines are met. You’re known to be a strategist. You love to develop plans and map out the desired impact. Then, you roll up your sleeves and get it done alongside your team. Measuring the outcome is incredibly important to you as you are metrics and goals driven.
You are creative – so ideas come naturally to you. You like testing your new ideas but you’re also reasonable and fiscally responsible as you know ultimately you are accountable to the donor. You are constantly learning and connected to other Direct Marketers in the sector to stay up on trends and share ideas and results.
Above all, you’d be energized to join a team of dedicated philanthropy professionals working to improve the health of Torontonians.
Does this sound like you? If so, read on…
St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, through its philanthropic activities, assists St. Michael’s Hospital in attracting the resources required to fulfill and enhance its mission of caring, research and education as inspired and fostered by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Their physicians, surgeons, scientists and staff are relentless in taking on some of the world’s most intractable health challenges. At St. Michael’s, their health-care teams have a unique attitude. They never say no. They never give up. No matter the problem, St. Michael’s looks for a way to solve it. St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation is leading the way in helping the hospital break new ground in kidney transplantation, neonatal care, multiple sclerosis, and cardiac and neuro innovation. It’s thanks to their donors and champions – who go to the wall for St. Michael’s, day in and day out – that St. Michael’s can continue to develop revolutionary approaches to patient care and to conduct research that changing how diseases are treated and future generations of doctors and scientists are educated.
The Foundation supports St. Michael’s ongoing mission to be a healthcare leader providing innovative and compassionate care driven by the incredibly generous help and support of all its donors. Since the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute debuted in 2011, St. Michael’s has become internationally renowned as a research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
By joining St. Michael’s Hospital Foundation, you will become part of a growing team of top and incredibly dynamic team of fundraisers who support St. Michael’s as an internationally renowned patient care and research powerhouse – at the forefront of new medical discoveries and home to the world’s top talent.
The Manager, Direct Marketing is an integral part of St. Michael's Hospital Foundation’s dynamic, diversified and talented team of fundraising experts. The successful candidate will report to the Senior Director, Philanthropy and will oversee a team of one direct report (who is currently in place). Their primary responsibility will be to strategically plan, implement and actively build solicitation and pipeline strategies along with stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support through integrated fundraising channels integral to building a robust pipeline of prospects and donors.
Our successful candidate will focus on leading the strategy and development of a comprehensive direct response fundraising program to acquire, cultivate, steward and retain donors at the mass level. This will be achieved through effective collaboration within the broader fundraising and communications teams to ensure that all activities are aligned with the Foundation’s strategic priorities with a seamless translation of the Foundation’s key messages and brand.
As our successful candidate will oversee a direct report, experiencing leading a team will be considered an asset, as will experience working in healthcare philanthropy.
- Develops strategy and manages the execution of integrated direct response programs to drive one-time and monthly donor revenues through various integrated channels. This includes driving acquisition, retention and cultivation strategies to build the donor pipeline
- Support in the development and provide day-to-day management of the annual budget and business plan, ensuring consistent collaboration across all areas of the Foundation
- Support in the development of and provide leadership to the tribute activities
- Work in close collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team to ensure all creative and fundraising appeals are in line with the Foundation messaging and brand
- Work and manage internal and external partners and stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of campaigns
- Promote and encourage team collaboration across the organization to leverage opportunities and strategies to increase donor engagement and cultivation
- Analyze and report on campaign performance, giving trends and results to inform future strategies and plans
Operations Support Activities:
- Work closely with Director Donor Relations & Stewardship team to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors at various levels within the Annual program
- Uphold accuracy of the database through effective and accurate donor segmentation and interactions
- Maintain timely, consistent and accurate coding of donor records and appeals in Raiser’s Edge
- Administer and track ongoing campaign performance, revenues and budgets
- Provides and facilitates ongoing coordination with third party vendors and the Operations team to ensure that donor gifts, pledges/reminders, tax receipts and thank you acknowledgments are processed and issued in a timely manner
- Provide ongoing campaign briefs to donor support teams to share campaign details and ensure a consistent donor experience
Donor Support Activities:
- Support the ongoing cultivation, stewardship and retention of donors in the program
- Working collaboratively, champion and encourage excellence in donor service
- Mentor and provide direction to others and exchange information with the Annual Team
- Interact with the Philanthropy team and proactively exchange information and collaborate to grow and develop prospects and steward donors
- Share financial information with the Finance and Operations Team and interact to facilitate deployment of campaigns
- Closely collaborate with the Communications team to ensure a seamless translation of brand within fundraising campaigns
- Work as a highly collaborative team player with integrity and respect
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the community to positively represent the Hospital and the Foundation
- Abide by the policies and procedures of SMH and SMHF
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and works in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the goals of the Foundation
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization
The Ideal Candidate
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience
- Must have progressive experience working in fundraising and planning and executing direct response campaigns, ideally within a health-related charitable organization
- Demonstrated direct marketing experience and strong knowledge in industry principles and best practices
- Demonstrated experience in achieving revenue goals within prescribed timelines
- Previous experience managing and mentoring staff will be considered an asset
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to manage external vendors and partners
- Demonstrated proficiency in data analytics including the ability to analyze donor trends from quantitative and qualitative data
- Strong knowledge and experience working in Raiser’s Edge or a similar database
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and be self-motivated in a high pressure and demanding work environment
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Basic understanding of healthcare research and funding in Canada
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the mission and values of St. Michael’s Hospital
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
We are committed to reflecting our country’s diversity and strive for inclusion. We are pleased to accept applications from underrepresented groups and encourage applications from Indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ+ community, new immigrants, and persons with disabilities. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to Lindsay Preston at email@example.com. Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.