Is this you?
You are a passionate fundraiser who has experience building a major giving program, leading events, and overseeing strategic initiatives. You have a deep interest in community welfare and would be invigorated to be part of a team working towards improving the lives of those experiencing poverty and homelessness in Toronto.
Your forte is individual giving. You love meeting with donors and building relationships. You have experience securing gifts $5000+ and have been part of building a pipeline and major giving program. Perhaps you’ve fundraised at a grassroots organization before and are comfortable rolling up your sleeves to get things done. You have experience with fundraising events and appreciate the work that goes into planning and executing a successful one.
You are known for your positive, can-do, ‘get in the weeds’ attitude; you approach your work with a glass half full mentality. You are not a task-taker, but a task-maker and are comfortable with making decisions yourself amidst ambiguity. You are a strong communicator both written and verbal. You are a persuasive writer and enjoy writing proposals and donor communications.
Your peers refer to you as a team player. You are more than happy to lend an ear and support the wider team. You believe a rising tide lifts all boats and you model this behavior through your actions. As much as you appreciate being a member of a team, you are also comfortable with autonomy.
You’d be excited to lend your skills and expertise to an organization with a deep history and track record in helping people find place and purpose.
If this sounds like you, please read on…
Fred Victor is a social service charitable organization that fosters long-lasting and positive change in the lives of homeless and low-income people living across Toronto. Every day, more than 2,000 people use their programs and services and each person who comes through their doors is experiencing poverty and/or homelessness.
Their many programs and services, located at 20 different sites across Toronto, help people rebuild their lives by offering:
- Affordable housing
- Transitional housing
- Shelters and Emergency Respite Site
- Food access
- Community Gardens and Summer Market
- Job training and counselling
- Health information and connection
- Community mental health outreach
- Specialized support programs
Their mission is to improve the health, income and housing stability of people experiencing poverty and homelessness. Their vision is for healthy and thriving communities where every person has a home and access to opportunity. Their values guide Fred Victor and are the same ones that have carried the organization for more than 125 years.
Fred Victor advocates for human rights and recognizes the dignity of all people who use, provide, or support their services. They value diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, life experiences, perspectives, orientations and abilities.
Fred Victor creates opportunity for individuals and communities. They work from an anti-oppression perspective to reduce systemic discrimination and inequities for people experiencing poverty and homelessness. They further promote equity through harm reduction, recovery, and community development approaches to service.
Fred Victor values and supports people’s right to self-determination by fostering individual capacity and recognizing individuals’ abilities to make their own choices.
Fred Victor is committed to providing excellent programs and services by being accountable to the people who use their services, meeting or exceeding their program goals, and monitoring their progress against stakeholders’ requirements. They seek to collaborate, integrate and develop new partnerships to enhance services to their clients.
Fred Victor uses a harm reduction and community development approach to their services. This means delivering service free of judgement with focus placed on health, wellness and the adoption of practices and policies that work to reduce harm. A harm reduction and community development approach are responsive to the changing needs of service users and is one that actively seeks to involve in meaningful partnership, their tenants and clients in program development, delivery and evaluation.
Reporting to the Director of Fundraising & Communications and working collaboratively with other members of the Fred Victor Fundraising Team, the Manager of Philanthropy is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, stewarding a portfolio of individual donors. The Manager of Philanthropy is an integral team member involved in meeting the goals of the annual campaign. This is a newly created role and will work to build a sustainable major giving program for Fred Victor.
This critical fundraising position will design and implement strategies to cultivate relationships with approximately 150 existing and prospective donors. In addition to managing the day-to-day relationships with this portfolio, the Manager of Philanthropy will develop a growth strategy for this donor group and will be a key partner in creating donor communications and stewardship plans.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150 donors and prospects
- Work closely with Board Members to identify major donor prospects and develop a strategy for each
- Conduct face-to-face meetings/tours with donors, including direct gift solicitations
- Assist Board Members in developing their skills and confidence
- Lead and Manage Annual Major Donor event, Share the Love
- Accompany Board Members on face-to-face meetings/tours and gift solicitations
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors to meet annual revenue goals
- Collaborate with colleagues on strategy for delivering excellent donor relationships
- Provide behind-the-scenes management of the donor pools for the Directors and Board Members (e.g. proposals, strategy, follow-up)
- Participate in creating and implementing a multi-year plan for major donors with concrete and measurable goals, annual calendar and metrics
- Develop and implement relationship management strategies and timelines
- Maintain database records, using CRM, tracking contacts and pipeline related information throughout the year
- Establish goals to move donors up the giving cycle and solicit multi-year pledges
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of Fred Victor programs and use this to create opportunities for donors
- Participate in strategic, annual and operational planning
- Lead annual donor stewardship events
Communication, Stewardship and Events
- Collaborate with the Communications team to establish a regular and engaging cycle of compelling communication for major donors
- Collaborate with Communications team to maintain an efficient stewardship process that ensures donors receive personalized and timely communication and acknowledgment
- Plan and execute event follow up for major donors and prospects at all Fred Victor events
- Participate in the monthly team meetings
- Attend all Fred Victor signature fundraising, stewardship and cultivation events
- Support events as needed
The Ideal Candidate
Our successful candidate will ideally possess:
- A degree from a relevant higher education program
- 3+ years of progressive experience and success in fundraising, prospecting, donor cultivation and relationship management
- Experience within a social service or housing non-profit preferred
- Experience with stewarding, soliciting and closing gifts $5,000+
- Experience of working with Microsoft Office applications
This position involves meeting with various Fred Victor stakeholders. This position also requires the employee to attend meetings, tours and presentations outside the office. Evening or weekend work may be required to support fundraising events or initiatives.
We are committed to reflecting our country’s diversity and strive for inclusion. We are pleased to accept applications from underrepresented groups and encourage applications from Indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ+ community, new immigrants, and persons with disabilities. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your CV and Cover Letter to Hilary Fisher at email@example.com by Friday April 24, 2020. Please note only qualified respondents will be contacted.