Posted On: 2020-06-11
Closing On: 2020-07-10
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Director of Development is a newly created role, which reports to the Chief Development & Marketing Officer and works collaboratively with Marketing, Project Management, and Finance groups. The Director of Development will manage a team focused on major, mid-level, corporate and foundation grants, gift-in-kind, and estate giving programs. This leadership position will provide strategy development, program implementation, and growth through prospective donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. They will hold their own portfolio of major gifts donors by building and nurturing strong positive relationships. They will lead their team to increase the level of giving and attract new supporters in order to strategically build the priorities of The Scott Mission.
The Scott Mission was founded in 1941 by Rev. Morris and Mrs. Annie Zeidman as a non-denominational Christian organization. Each year, it offers practical, emotional, and spiritual support to thousands of people who are experiencing poverty and homelessness in the City of Toronto. The Mission is a community that continually seeks to be:
- centered in and dependent on Jesus Christ
- gracious, generous, and collaborative in our relationships
- servant hearted, innovative, and professional in our work
- rooted in God’s rescuing work in history
The Scott Mission’s vision prayer captures the heart of its goal: Poverty in full retreat, flourishing for all, in Toronto and beyond.
The Mission is currently implementing a transformational, five-year strategic plan with the following objectives: increasing capacity and enhancing basic needs services, deepening clients’ transformational impact, multiplying partnerships, and offering spiritual leadership to Canadians.
The Mission operates with a dedicated staff at four locations: 502 Spadina Avenue Toronto, its Family Centre in East York, the Collingwood Retreat Centre, and the Scott Mission Summer Camp in Caledon.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Develop, execute, and present long and short-term strategic plans to the Chief Development and Marketing Officer (CDMO) for major, mid-level, corporate and foundation grants, gift-in-kind, and estate giving programs.
- Create annual operating plans in partnership with the Development team members.
- Develop and monitor the Development team’s budget and assist in the preparation of fiscal revenue forecasts in consultation with the CDMO.
- Together with the campaign operations team and the finance department, establish gift acceptance and stewardship policies and procedures in line with CRA, CCCC, and AFP guidelines and ensure they are followed.
- Develop strategies to effectively identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward existing donors, with the goal of strengthening the relationship between TSM and the donor resulting in increased giving.
- Partner with the campaign operations team and ministry staff to create compelling donor offers and stewardship reports.
- Ensure partnerships are compatible with TSM’s strategic directions.
- Participate in cultivation and stewardship events.
- Present viable new gifting opportunities to the team for consideration and implementation, where appropriate.
- Speak and represent TSM publicly within the marketplace.
- Establish and maintain Raiser’s Edge data entry protocols and best practices. Maintain a thorough understanding of the Raiser’s Edge database and ensure other staff are adequately trained.
- Work in collaboration with the Mid-level Giving Officer, Corporate & Foundations Officer, Gift-in-Kind Officer, and the Estate Giving Officer to ensure all donor interactions are consistent with TSM’s brand and key messaging.
- Work in collaboration with the Manager of Volunteer Services to provide a variety of volunteer opportunities for individual and corporate donors.
Leadership & Management
- Commit to providing servant-leadership nourishing a truthful, forgiving, approachable, joyful, healthy environment.
- Model open communication and work collaboratively within the Development department and TSM as a whole for the good of the organization, in support of TSM’s mission, vision, core values, and strategic plan.
- Lead and direct the activities of the Development Department including but not limited to setting direction, hiring and promotion, creating clear and measurable KPIs for all staff positions, manage execution to meet goals, coach, develop, and supervise all direct reports.
Knowledge & Experience
- University degree, along with more than 12 years of experience in the not-for-profit sector, with experience in major gifts, mid-level giving, and/or planned giving programs.
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Experience with and working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge.
- Well-developed computer skills (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of and operating according to the AFP guidelines & Donor Bill of Rights.
- Sound understanding of and experience operating within CRA and CCCC guidelines, that relate to financial and gift-in-kind donations and donor recognition.
Interested applicants are invited to send a resume with cover letter to: Mélida Smith
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please. For more information about The Scott Mission, please visit www.ScottMission.com.
The Scott Mission welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Employment is conditional to results of Police Reference Check and satisfactory references