Roots of Empathy is an internationally acclaimed, award winning charity, whose mission is to build caring, peaceful, and civil societies through the development of empathy in children. We believe the leaders of tomorrow are sitting in the classrooms of today and they need imagination and empathy to be able to identify and solve society’s problems. Empathy is foundational to helping children navigate relationships, form connections and be inclusive of others. We believe if children have empathy, they can change the world.
Since its creation in 1996 by social entrepreneur Mary Gordon, Roots of Empathy has supported the emotional development and well-being of 1 million children. Headquartered in Toronto the organization delivers its evidence-based programs in all 10 provinces and in 14 countries in multiple languages.
Roots of Empathy is seeking an outgoing and energetic Director of Major Gifts responsible for attracting new funding so we can build organizational capacity and reach more children with our cutting-edge work. Reporting to the Founder and President, this newly created role will lead the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of gifts at the five, six and seven figure level from individuals, foundations, corporations and government. This role requires someone who is willing to roll up their sleeves, as they will be responsible for the end-to-end delivery of all aspects of the work required to secure major gifts.
The successful candidate will be skilled at developing and maintaining relationships, leveraging opportunities and managing multiple projects. They will possess a strong fundraising and business development mentality, and have the capability to switch seamlessly between strategic thinking, proposal development, presentations, and tactical work.
- Collaborates with the Founder/President to create an annual and long-term major gifts development plan with budgets, timelines, pipelines and revenue targets
- Collaborates with the Founder/President and Senior Management Team to identify funding priorities and convert priorities into action plans and gift opportunities that match donors’ interests
- Identifies, builds and manages a pipeline of qualified corporate partnership and sponsorship opportunities. Develops customized proposals, makes presentations, solicits gifts and ensures fulfilment of contract requirements
- Fosters relationships, cultivates, solicits and stewards a portfolio of individual donors
- Identifies foundation and government grant opportunities and develops proposals to match their interests
- Develops strategies to activate senior staff and Board Directors as door openers and involve them in ongoing relationship building actions
- Develops tactics and approaches to leverage the Founder/President’s keynote presentations to identify and cultivate prospective donors and corporate partners
- Develops and manages timelines for cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and re-solicitation and to ensure strategic fundraising processes are carried out in a timely and organized manner
- Introduces a recognition and moves management program to steward donors to higher giving levels
- Oversees the development of funder reports
- Prepares regular reports on fundraising progress, budgets, income and expenditures
Experience and skills
- A minimum of 5-7 years of fundraising experience (securing gifts of $100,000+) managing major gifts programs using moves management and donor-centred fundraising
- Experience managing a portfolio of major gift prospects and conducting face-to-face solicitation personally, and in tandem with senior staff and volunteers
- Superior planning skills, including working with team members to develop the communication and marketing components required for major gift solicitation
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Extensive experience writing grant proposals
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes in a results-oriented culture including managing a budget and financial planning
- Honed diplomacy skills - able to leave ego at the door and tactfully, respectfully and collaboratively work with a wide variety of people. High comfort level and tolerance to manage stress and the demand of the role
- Agile, adaptable and able to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Confident and mature with an executive presence and a strong understanding of emotional intelligence
- Strategic and collaborative; a team player and builder with a commitment to creating a positive and inclusive working environment
- Experience with corporate social responsibility an asset
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org citing Director of Major Gifts in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.