Posted On: 2020-06-15
Closing On: 2020-07-17
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: September 1, 2020
Employment Type: Full-Time
Since its inception in 1894, Fred Victor has been a vital, community-driven charitable organization that has fostered long-lasting and positive change in the lives of the homeless and low-income people living across the city. Each day, more than 2,000 people use its many services and programs, located at 21 different locations throughout the GTA, including:
- Affordable and supportive housing in four locations;
- Emergency respite and transitional shelter in four locations;
- Mental health and addiction case management services;
- Court diversion services;
- Employment and training services including a variety of traineeship, peer and supported employment programs;
- Specialized services for women including a 24-hour drop-in centre;
- Housing First services including housing access and mental health support services;
- A wide variety of community services including food services, a social purpose enterprise, art and recreational programs and drop in services;
- Safe consumption and treatment services.
Governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, Fred Victor has over 400 staff, an operating budget of $38M, and capital assets worth approximately $70M. Well-regarded by clients and other stakeholders alike, including other agencies, funders, donors and municipal, provincial and federal governments, Fred Victor is committed to ending homelessness in Toronto.
Our Vision: is for healthy and thriving communities where every person has a home and access to opportunity
Our Mission: is to improve the health, income and housing stability of people experience poverty and homelessness
- Respect: Fred Victor advocates for human rights and recognizes the dignity of all people who use, provide, or support our services. We value diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, lifeexperiences, perspectives, orientations and abilities.
- Equity: Fred Victor creates opportunity for individuals and communities. We work from an anti-oppression perspective to reduce systemic discrimination and inequities for people experiencingpoverty and homelessness. We further promote equity through harm reduction, recovery, and community development approaches to service.
- Self-Determination: Fred Victor values and supports people’s right to self-determination by fostering individual capacity and recognizing individuals’ abilities to make their own choices.
- Service Excellence: Fred Victor is committed to providing excellent programs and services by being accountable to the people who use our services, meeting or exceeding our program goals, and monitoring our progress against stakeholders’ requirements. We seek to collaborate, integrate and develop new partnerships to enhance services to our clients.
Fred Victor has grown significantly in recent years, both in type and size of programs, and today is one of the leading organizations dedicated to serving the needs of those who are vulnerable and marginalized as well as advocating for broader systems change to address determinants of health, income and housing stability. The diversity of programs and services offered are a core strength, along with its ability to be creative and responsive, and building its capacity in research and planning will further its ability to be both a “thought leader” and a “system leader”.
The Vice President, Philanthropy & Communications will provide expertise and leadership to develop and deliver Fred Victor’s fundraising, events, marketing, communications and volunteer programs. This senior position reports to the CEO and has operational responsibility for fundraising, volunteers, events communications and marketing. The Vice President is a member of the leadership team and is the staff lead to the Fundraising Committee of the Board of Directors. This is a highly responsible position that requires an innovative, creative, and resourceful leader who can deal with a wide range of issues simultaneously. This position has a high degree of outward orientation, proudly and passionately representing Fred Victor to many stakeholders. The VP is expected to deliver on aggressive and demanding outcomes that are clearly measurable. The VP of Philanthropy & Communications works with the Director of Communications and Director of Fundraising to grow revenue and awareness. As a member of the leadership team the VP participates in the agency wide business, budgeting and strategic process.
In assuming this leadership position, the new Vice President will want to focus on the following key strategic and operational areas:
- Lead, support and inspire a team of fundraising, communications and marketing specialists to meet annual fundraising targets.
- Determine appropriate goals, budgets and metrics for fundraising, events and volunteer programs; monitor and report to CEO and Board Committee on progress against goals and on the key activities, initiatives, and staff.
- Determine appropriate goals, budgets and metrics for communications and marketing; monitor and report to CEO and Board Committee on progress against goals and on the key activities, campaigns, and staff.
- Develop long and short term plans to achieve strategic goals.
- Prepare and monitor annual budgets.
- Oversee Communications and Marketing strategy and annual plan.
- Ensure the department has staffing to reach established goals.
- Assign programs and targets to members of the Fundraising, Communications and Marketing team.
- Represent FVC to donors, volunteers and prospective partners including leading tours etc.
- Ensure that fundraising and related activities meet or exceed FV policies and AFP, CRA, Imagine Canada and Canadian Direct Marketing Association standards.
- Develop and oversee Events and Campaigns to achieve established goals.
- Staff lead to the Board Fundraising Committee. Ensure timely and accurate records and reports and prepare necessary reports to monthly board meetings.
- Work with Board Members and key volunteers to ensure program growth and development.
- Lead and support members of the fundraising staff team to deliver the highest standards of donor service.
- Evaluate program performance against targets and adjust plans and strategies accordingly to meet or exceed overall goals.
- Manage Foundations & Corporate donor files over $99k.
- Oversee bequests/estate gifts.
- Look for and act upon opportunities for “Special Projects” - where donor designated funds line up with aspirations and goals at FVC.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following knowledge, experience, skills and attributes:
- 15+ years of Senior experience in a fundraising management role with demonstrated success.
- CFRE designation or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years Senior level experience as a Director of Fundraising.
- Success in raising single gifts of a hundred thousand +.
- 5 years’ experience in developing and managing special events at all levels.
- Knowledge of issues of poverty and homelessness, preference to have raised funds for programs and services associated with assisting the homeless community directly.
- Extensive and current knowledge of fundraising practices and methods.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, interpersonal skills to maintain effective relationships with staff, community, volunteers, partner organizations, funders, suppliers and other organizations.
- Supervisory experience in staff performance management, training and recruitment.
- Knowledge of fundraising software and MS office and email/internet.
- Experience and competence with budget processes.
- Ability and experience in recruiting high level fundraising volunteers.
- Proven ability to provide leadership to staff and a high level volunteer committee.
- Ability to manage multiple demands within tight deadlines.
Please forward your CV along with a cover letter detailing your interest by mail or email no later than July 17, 2020 at 5:00pm to:
c/o Mandy Ashton
Manager - Executive Office, Governance and Project Management Support
36 Lombard Street , Suite 300
Toronto, ON M5C 2X3
Applications should quote: VP , Philanthropy & Communications
Fred Victor strives to foster a workplace that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. Fred Victor is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. Please advise if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.