Posted On: 2020-06-30
Closing On: 2020-07-31
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you someone who is passionate about the work that you do? Do you want your next position to be part of a great cause? If so, look no further than the MS Society of Canada. Our team is hiring, and we are looking for a Vice-President, Philanthropy (work from anywhere) on a full-time basis!
We have a bold vision of a world free of multiple sclerosis. Our mission is to connect and empower the MS community to create positive change and you can be part of that!
About the MS Society:
Canada has one of the highest rates of multiple sclerosis (MS) in the world, with an estimated 77,000 Canadians living with the disease. While it is most often diagnosed in young adults aged 20 to 49, younger children and older adults are also diagnosed with the disease.
We are privileged to be a part of a determined group of change agents who are working tirelessly to create a world free of MS. Some 500 volunteers serve on MS Society division and chapter councils and committees and an estimated 13,500 women and men are volunteers for programs, fundraising events, public awareness campaigns and social action activities. The MS Society is governed by a board of directors comprised of 14 volunteer members who are elected annually. There are seven regional divisions and more than 90 chapters that engage in many community-based activities.
Our strategic vision not only builds upon the work of the entire MS community but also brings a new chapter to move forward our mission of connecting and empowering the MS community to create positive change that helps realize our vision of a world free of MS.
Through discoveries, innovation, and collective action, we will work together to alleviate the uncertainty that MS causes, help provide accessible options for disease management, and reach out to partners to eliminate physical and social barriers in our communities.
Our strategy not only lays out the roadmap in our journey to create a world free of MS, but we hope it also provides inspiration for all in the MS community to connect and collaborate in order to advance treatment and care, enhance well-being, understand and halt disease progression, and prevent MS from happening. Discover. Innovate. Act.
As an experienced senior fundraiser with a track record of success, you will lead, encourage and motivate a high-functioning donor experience and philanthropy team to achieve results. You will work collaboratively to help set key fundraising strategies for the annual giving, corporate sponsorship and major gifts portfolios, that will advance the MS Society’s mission and key outcomes. You will have a personal passion and skill for securing principal gifts, building long-lasting relationships and ensuring a superior donor experience; and will work in partnership with the CEO, Board and key leadership volunteers, to drive success. As a member of the Executive Team, this role will work collaboratively with colleagues and team members across the organization and at all levels to achieve shared outcomes.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement a diversified and integrated fundraising strategy, aligned with our strategic plan, with clearly defined goals and outcomes;
- Provide leadership to mobilize staff to create a cohesive and integrated approach to fundraising across the country in the areas of principal gifts, major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, foundations and corporate sponsorship and engagement;
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with board and leadership volunteers, providing them with direct support in prospecting and solicitation activities to advance outcomes;
- Expand focus and build capacity in principal and major gifts across the country;
- Personally play a key role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors for both capital and annual gifts, involving leadership volunteers and the CEO as needed and actively manage a portfolio of top prospects and donors;
- With the CEO, lead foundation board activities and reporting;
- Oversee strategies that effectively steward donors at all levels of giving to optimize the donor experience;
- Set the strategic direction for fundraising and donor stewardship in digital channels, ensuring the implementation of current best practices in all areas including social, mobile, web, dm etc.;
- Bring an entrepreneurial and creative flare to developing and testing innovative approaches to revenue generation – keeping up-to-date on market trends and where the future of fundraising is headed;
- Provide leadership for the strategic execution of the annual giving program, which includes our direct response campaign;
- With the team, grow sponsorship, cause marketing partnerships, corporate donations, and oversee corporate and cultivation events;
- Be data driven, ensuring consistent and effective use of donor software (salesforce) to inform decision-making and maximize fundraising opportunities;
- Be an integral part of highly functioning executive team, focused on collaboration, working successfully across functional units and achieving impact;
- Work well with the Community and Mission teams to drive fundraising activities, develop strong pipelines, build compelling proposals/cases for support, and deliver on sponsorship activation in markets;
- Model and believe in a highly collaborative approach and you work well across teams and at all levels of the organization to achieve success; and,
- Establish performance measures, evaluate and monitor the success of fundraising strategies.
Special Considerations for this position:
- In this important role, you will lead the Donor Experience and philanthropy team and have multiple direct reports;
- Over time, there may be regular travel across the country and internationally, and flexibility to work evenings and/or weekends will be key.
What you will be getting by working with the MS Society of Canada:
At the MS Society, we have a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, short- and long-term disability and travel insurance, to name a few. We also offer a RRSP matching program. Not only do we close for the holidays between Christmas and New Year’s, but we also have half day Friday’s before a holiday weekend! On top of that, we offer flexible working arrangements and opportunities to work from home as well! Who wouldn’t want all of that?
What we are looking for in a great candidate:
Are you someone who:
- Is a self-starter with a can-do attitude?
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals?
- Wants to motivate, provide mentorship, and build team infrastructure to support collaboration?
- Has significant and progressive fundraising experience in all aspects of philanthropy, with an emphasis in leadership giving preferred?
- Has a University degree and has or working towards your CFRE with 10+ years’ of leadership experience?
- Has experience crafting a strategy that has well-defined initiatives but that has the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances?
- Has significant experience in all forms of fundraising for capital and operations, including annual gifts, major gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations, planned giving, events, direct mail, telemarketing and internet-based fundraising?
- Has demonstrated the ability to build strong relationships, motivate and work effectively at the executive level and with board members, donors, and volunteers?
- Lives and breathes the team player mentality, willing to roll up your sleeves and pitch in as needed?
- Is inspired by our community and ably shares success stories to increase engagement and connectivity?
- Is bilingual - French and English (an asset)?
If this sounds like you, then we want to hear from you!
If everything you have read so far has made you want to be part of this fantastic workplace, please send your application that includes your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to Danielle Mandell, Vice President, People Innovation and Volunteers at email@example.com by July 31,2020.
This position is a position of trust. The incumbent will be required to complete the screening process including completion of a criminal and credit background check in compliance with the National Screening Measures Policy.
The MS Society of Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
We are committed to accommodating applicants’ needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code throughout the selection process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you need accommodation.
If you want to learn more about the MS Society and the great work that we do, we encourage you to visit www.mssociety.ca.