Does my membership belong to me, or to the organization I work for?
It depends on the type of membership that you join. If you are a Professional, Young Professional, Global eMember, Collegiate or Associate member, the membership is yours and goes with you if leave an organization.
The Nonprofit Organizational Membership for both large and small organizations, and the Executive Circle Business Member or Endorser Business Member belongs to the organization or company. If an employee leaves, the organization may replace the name of the designated member. New members still need to fill out a membership application and sign their adherence to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards.
Does my membership stay with me if I switch organizations?
If you are in one of the individual membership categories the membership goes with you if you switch organizations.
How much does membership cost?
When a member joins AFP, he or she joins both the international organization and a local chapter (exceptions exist if a chapter is not located close to the member). Thus, a member pays annual dues to both the International Headquarters and the chapter.
How much are the dues to International Headquarters?
Your membership dues depend on the type of membership applicable to you. Members must self-assess to determine the type of membership for which they are eligible. Prospective members should self-determine the category of membership, and renewing members should review and reassess membership categories. Descriptions are below.
AFP Membership Categories
PROFESSIONAL MEMBER – $250.00 + chapter dues
- Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, work within the U.S. and Canada and are compensated for their services (Members outside these two countries may join in this category as a volunteer fundraiser); subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards (“Code”) and its bylaws; promote the Donor Bill of Rights and, are employed or have been employed by an institution or organization that provides benefits to society.
ASSOCIATE – $250.00 + chapter dues
- May be extended to persons who are engaged in fields related to fundraising, volunteers, or those who have mutual interests with fundraising professionals, and who subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws; and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
YOUNG PROFESSIONAL – $95 (including chapter dues)
- Open to persons who hold some degree of responsibility directly for fundraising, are compensated for their services, and are 30 years old or younger, must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and its bylaws and promote the Donor Bill of Rights and be employed, or have been employed by an organization that provides benefits to society.
RETIRED – $75 + chapter dues
- Open to individuals who no longer practice as paid fundraising professionals but who, at the time they seek Retired Member status, have been Professional members of the Association for the immediate past five consecutive years and subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote theDonor Bill of Rights.
BUSINESS MEMBERS – Executive Circle – $5,000, Endorser – $1,500
- Open to for-profit organizations whose work complements the fundraising profession. The Executive Circle Business member shall be entitled to designate two employees to receive full benefits as Associate members of the Association. Endorser Business Members shall be entitled to designate one employee to receive full benefits as an Associate member of the Association. The designated individuals, as well as the organization which constitutes the Business member, must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
LARGE NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERSHIP – starting at $2,200
- Open to nonprofit organizations who wish to have multiple members in the association. The organization will designate a minimum of eight (8) to receive Professional member benefits. The memberships may be transferred to another individual if the original member leaves the organization. Must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights.
SMALL NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONAL MEMBERSHIP – $175.00 (Including chapter dues)
Open to nonprofit organizations who can answer yes to all the following criteria:
- An operating budget of less than $1,000,000
- A fundraising department with less than two (2) Full-time equivalent (FTE) staff
- Individually incorporated or otherwise organized as a separate entity in the laws of the specific country; and
- Not affiliated with a larger institution supporting their operations.
The organization will designate one fundraising professional to receive the benefits offered in this membership category. The membership may be transferred to another individual if the original member leaves the organization. Must subscribe to the AFP Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and promote the Donor Bill of Rights. Limit one membership per organization.
How can I find out if there is a chapter in my local area?
Search in the Chapters section or contact the AFP International Headquarters at (800) 666-3863.
How long does my membership last?
Your membership lasts 12 months, starting in the month you officially become a member.
What are the benefits of becoming a member?